How much do Mayo Clinic doctors get paid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Is there anyway to find that information? The website doesn't post salaries for doctor positions. The place has been mentioned a few times by Obama, WSJ, NYtimes, etc. regarding its excellent care and low costs. If they get paid near the average for their specialty, I would love to eventually work at a place like Mayo where positive outcomes are maximized while costs are pushed down through collaborative work among the doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

idunnolol.jpg

Mayo Clinic pays medical doctors a fixed salary that is unaffected by patient volume. This practice is thought to decrease the monetary motivation to see patients in large numbers and increase the incentive to spend more time with individuals. Salaries are determined instead by the marketplace salaries for physicians in comparable large group practices.

that's all I could find

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that too but was kind of reluctant to trust a source that has the job title listed as "staff physician".. that could be any specialty.

It gives you a general idea, though.

Unless the 171K is being earned by a surgeon, but I highly doubt that.

Nice!
I looked through it a bit more, here are some figures:
Cardiologist $370,500
Consultant Physician $223,000
Pediatric Endocrinologist $160,250
Ophthalmologist Consult $218,000
Orthopedic Consult $369,000
Radiology Consult $463,218
and a bunch of staff physicians that range from $225,000 to $280,000

when it says consult, i believe, it means that those arent salaried physicians for mayo, but rather outside docs. Correct me if im wrong.

The Mayo Clinic pays well. I did research there last summer and every single doctor I saw traversing the corridors (except those in scrubs) was wearing a full suit and tie, jacket and all.

I have a relative who is an internist there, and he's very happy with his job. :thumbup:

Obama is also visiting the Cleveland Clinic this week as another model of near-ideal health care delivery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they have better hours than doctors in private practice...

the idea of getting paid ~250k for 50 hours a week sounds great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayo_Clinic

"Mayo Clinic pays medical doctors a fixed salary that is unaffected by patient volume. This practice is thought to decrease the monetary motivation to see patients in large numbers and increase the incentive to spend more time with individuals. Salaries are determined instead by the marketplace salaries for physicians in comparable large group practices."

Now that's how it should be.

The Mayo Clinic pays well. I did research there last summer and every single doctor I saw traversing the corridors (except those in scrubs) was wearing a full suit and tie, jacket and all.
What????

Yup. Required dress code for physicians, residents, and medical students. No white coats at Mayo that I've seen, other than in research labs by PhDs.

Come to think of it, you could always spot the MD/PhD researchers by their suits... rather distinctive.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-109889.html

I just got accepted today to Mayo Medical School! I have heard that Mayo has a very strict dress code, and that the doctors wear suits, no white coats. Does this mean that I should start looking for bargins on suits/business clothes now? Do the med students wear a short coat, or does everyone wear business dress?

Can any current Mayo students shed some light on this?
mpp
03-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Yes, all the doctors wear suits as do students during patient care (except where scrubs are more appropriate such as on-call or in the OR). You'll definitely need a suit fairly quickly first year.

I can tell you that the suit has been the symbol of healing at Mayo for as long as the clinic has existed (~100 years). I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

I have a relative who is an internist there, and he's very happy with his job. :thumbup:

Obama is also visiting the Cleveland Clinic this week as another model of near-ideal health care delivery.

Just because they wear suits doesn't mean they are paid well. We all have to do interviews in suits but my yearly income is <1k. I can see how you could judge whether or not they are happy, but I think the suit thing is a non-sequitur.

Yup. Required dress code for physicians, residents, and medical students. No white coats at Mayo that I've seen, other than in research labs by PhDs.

Come to think of it, you could always spot the MD/PhD researchers by their suits... rather distinctive.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-109889.html
Actually my original "What????" had to do with the juxtaposition of two sentences that I originally quoted. But I see what you mean.

Just because they wear suits doesn't mean they are paid well. We all have to do interviews in suits but my yearly income is <1k. I can see how you could judge whether or not they are happy, but I think the suit thing is a non-sequitur.

I'm guessing the person was implying that they weren't wearing a suit that they got from Kmart or something. And they probably own more than one

I think that's a very compassionate philosophy Mayo has with its doctors. A true doctor philosphy, I believe- paying doctor's not on the volume of patients they have but setting a fixed rate.

Though I hope this "fixed" rate is actually adjustable with inflation? Sounds like a stretch since doctor's are making a lot anyway but wouldn't this be necessary regardless?

I think I love Mayo already though.