How much do specialty surgeons earn during their fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I know that surgeons who specialize must first do a general surgery residency then they usually go into a fellowship. Do they usually earn the same as they did as a resident or does their salary improve?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that surgeons who specialize must first do a general surgery residency then they usually go into a fellowship. Do they usually earn the same as they did as a resident or does their salary improve?

With exceedingly rare exception, fellows are paid on the same PGY pay scale as interns and residents. If you complete a 5 year general surgery residency and are in your sixth year of training as a surgical fellow, you're paid as a PGY-6 (same as every other PGY-6 in the institution).

Not all surgical specialties require a general surgical residencies. I know that ortho, neuro, and plastics all have direct programs now. Fellowship salaries are only marginally better than resident salaries.

Then again, I haven't even started med school yet, so what do I know. You'd be better off posting in the surgery resident forums, which is no doubt where this thread is headed in a couple of minutes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all surgical specialties require a general surgical residencies. I know that ortho, neuro, and plastics all have direct programs now. Fellowship salaries are only marginally better than resident salaries.

Then again, I haven't even started med school yet, so what do I know. You'd be better off posting in the surgery resident forums, which is no doubt where this thread is headed in a couple of minutes...

LOL yeah where it will be lost in oblivion.

Not All fellowships are paid so crappy. I work with two fellows at my hospital. Ones is an EMS fellow and the other is a research fellow. They both make over 80k plus the EMS fellow get there insurance paid for and a take home car..

Not All fellowships are paid so crappy. I work with two fellows at my hospital. Ones is an EMS fellow and the other is a research fellow. They both make over 80k plus the EMS fellow get there insurance paid for and a take home car..

These aren't quite the same kind of fellowships that the OP is talking about....