How much do the "evaluations" of non-interview personnel matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically my question is that there is an idea that I've noticed in a few threads that you are being "evaluated" constantly during interviews from the first moment you step onto the campus.

I was just wondering how much do the evaluations of people like student hosts, tour guides, etc. matter in your application/acceptance vs. the evaluation of your actual interviewer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They don't "evaluate" you, but if you leave such a bad impression with anyone associated with the school that they choose to tell a member of the admissions committee I can't really see that working out in your favour.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually there is no official feedback mechanism in place for non-interviewers, so it's usually pretty limited. However if you do something bad enough where someone might go out of their way to report you, that will obviously hurt you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have rejected people because of comments from student tour guides about interviewees who were jerks during the tour, or were unprofessional. One stray foolish comment isn't going to sink you, but these types of people can't seem to help themselves and their attitudes are apparent during the interview as well.

One word of warning: it's not a good idea to trash talk the school you're visiting, while you're visiting. The very fact I have to mention this tells you that people are foolish enough to have actually done that!

Basically my question is that there is an idea that I've noticed in a few threads that you are being "evaluated" constantly during interviews from the first moment you step onto the campus.

I was just wondering how much do the evaluations of people like student hosts, tour guides, etc. matter in your application/acceptance vs. the evaluation of your actual interviewer?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!

Don't be rude to anybody.
Don't be arrogant.
Don't talk down about other programs or applicants.
Don't take parents to the interview day.

Act like a polite, well-mannered grown-up with common sense & humility.

...nobody will then go out of the way to provide unconventional feedback on you.

So basically as long as you're not memorable enough to anyone in a negative way that they would go out of their way to talk to the admissions committee about you then you'll be fine is what I understand.

Sounds like most of us will have no issues, thanks.

The office staff are not your servants. When shown the coat closet, don't hand your coat to the staff member as if you are dealing with a butler or a coat check girl.

The receptionist does not remember you from last cycle. If asked to show an ID, show it and don't start a stand up comedy routine about not getting no respect.

Yes the two above have happened and have derailed applicants. Other tips:

If you help yourself to refreshments, leave the space as tidy, or more tidy, than you found it.

Be cordial to other interviewees. Being respectful with a healthy sense of curiosity about others will go further than sitting in the corner looking at your phone while waiting for the tour or whatever.

Please tell me that people haven't actually done this.

Oh... yes they have. I've seen it once. At least the parent wasn't in the same room as the child during the interview session.

Reactions: 1 user