How much do you really need to be a "top" applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ejm1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much you truly need to do to be considered a very strong applicant. Obviously really high grades and MCAT score are a must, but how many other things should I be doing?

I am currently a freshman and plan on applying to medical school after my senior year. From now until graduation I plan on volunteering at the EMS station on campus (about to get certification), doing research (already involved), volunteering at a local hospital around 4 or so hours a week, possibly hold a position (i.e vice president etc) in the Biological Science Honors Society, shadow numerous specialties, and hopefully find something else that I am passionate about. I also want to make it clear that I am not just doing these things to "check off boxes". The research is in a field that I am deeply interested in and I am truly very excited to start working as an EMT. Anyways, would all of these things be enough to be a strong applicant, or are there other things that I should be doing if want to have a shot at getting into some of the "top" schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here's all you need to know:
http://www.amazon.com/Med-School-Rx...&qid=1397950758&sr=1-1&keywords=9781607140627

Shill alert: Walter Hartwig is an old buddy of mine, now the Admissions Dean over at TUCOM-CA.

I was wondering how much you truly need to do to be considered a very strong applicant. Obviously really high grades and MCAT score are a must, but how many other things should I be doing?

I am currently a freshman and plan on applying to medical school after my senior year. From now until graduation I plan on volunteering at the EMS station on campus (about to get certification), doing research (already involved), volunteering at a local hospital around 4 or so hours a week, possibly hold a position (i.e vice president etc) in the Biological Science Honors Society, shadow numerous specialties, and hopefully find something else that I am passionate about. I also want to make it clear that I am not just doing these things to "check off boxes". The research is in a field that I am deeply interested in and I am truly very excited to start working as an EMT. Anyways, would all of these things be enough to be a strong applicant, or are there other things that I should be doing if want to have a shot at getting into some of the "top" schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did all that, got a 3.8+, a 35+ on the MCAT, and have good interviewing skills, you'd have a good chance at a top schools. Would you be a shuin at Harvard though? No.

…as much as you want to get into a top school. Top schools take top students.

/thread

Telekinesis will easily put you at the top of any list.
XMenJeanGrey.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
If you actually pull off all of that stuff... You have decent odds. That said, most people have a hard time putting their money where there mouth is when it comes to the MCAT

As a freshman the best advice I can give you is don't think about top schools, study hard, and stay involved in volunteering and other medically related ECs. If you get to junior year and have near a 4.0 and strong MCAT or MCAT practice tests start looking. Getting into and completing medical school is way more important than where you went. 35+MCAT and 3.8+ GPA [~1/100 freshman year premeds or less achieves this] are essentially non-negotiable if you want the top. If you get that great, if not you'll meet back up in the real world.

I think the further you are along in your studies, volunteering, etc you'll find that a "top school" is very subjective. 3 years from now schools like HMS, Chicago, Duke etc may not be in your "top list." You might find awesome stuff about schools that are ranked below the usual top 30. You never know!

But obviously, telekinesis would help you stand out anywhere.

I appreciate all of the insight everyone. And to clarify, by saying "top schools" I was not necessarily referring to Harvard/Duke/Standford etc. I just want to have a good enough application that I can have a shot at some of my top choices (once I actually make those choices).

Basically being a top applicant just requires that you are dominant and don't prefer being on bottom.

Seriously though, 3.70+, 35+, research, volunteering, and strong ECs are what will make you competitive at top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Top applicants aren't Red Sox fans.
Good luck in PA school.

The city of Boston, its medical center, and all of its medical schools disagree with you.

The much larger city of New York, with it's 5 top 25 medical schools would beat the inferior labyrinthine city of Boston and its one top 25 medical school, 10 times out of 10. The people have spoken.

All told, I am going to the Yankee game at Fenway and fully expect to be murdered at the game.

Reactions: 1 user
The much larger city of New York, with it's 5 top 25 medical schools would beat the inferior labyrinthine city of Boston and its one top 25 medical school, 10 times out of 10. The people have spoken.

All told, I am going to the Yankee game at Fenway and fully expect to be murdered at the game.

Well I'm sure you've had a good run, at least you got into medical school.

Top schools want to pick "winners". That's what people look for, did this applicant apply herself and did this applicant excel at a recognizable level when she applied herself? You can show that in research, in class, on the MCAT, etc. The more places you show you're about #winning the more you'll be competitive at top schools. At the same time, you have to be relatable and able to not make people feel weird.

It feels great to be a "former" Yankee fan. Baseball season is that much better now.

Anyway, have fun at the 5 hr 9 inning game!!

Thanks

Aside from the obvious GPA, MCAT, clinical stuff, EC's, and research you may want to read up on health policy, public health issues, and how the ACA is affecting ppl. Learning about medical ethics, patient safety, patient education, etc will help as well.

Here are some recommendations.
http://unaccountablebook.com/
http://atulgawande.com/book/the-checklist-manifesto/
http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Pain-Healing-Biggest-Problem/dp/0199837201

(Dr. Gawande writes excellent articles in the New Yorker magazine).

Obviously, there is a lot more good material out there.

Aside from the obvious GPA, MCAT, clinical stuff, EC's, and research you may want to read up on health policy, public health issues, and how the ACA is affecting ppl. Learning about medical ethics, patient safety, patient education, etc will help as well.

Here are some recommendations.
http://unaccountablebook.com/
http://atulgawande.com/book/the-checklist-manifesto/
http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Pain-Healing-Biggest-Problem/dp/0199837201

(Dr. Gawande writes excellent articles in the New Yorker magazine).

Obviously, there is a lot more good material out there.

Ethics schmethics. Do what makes you the most ca$h.

Not srsly.

I win here and I win there.