How much does having good skin matter in Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned that there are many other important factors in Derm match: Step 1, research, reference, away rotations, AOA, etc. But I am wondering how much does having good skin matter in matching into Derm and becoming a Dermatologist who patients trust?

Growing up, I had struggle with acne and I have some acne scar left. I don't have the most glorious skin. It helps with some makeup but one can still tell. My acne experience first got me interested in derm and I think I should use it to my advantage. But I heard from others that how could my patients trust me if I don't have good skin. And I am somewhat interested in cosmetic dermatology.

I appreciate your input to this matter!

Members don't see this ad.

From a practical standpoint, of course it helps to have better skin.

From a matching standpoint, it's so low on the list of things that I would focus on everything else you mentioned in your first sentence. I would NOT mention your experience with acne or interest in cosmetic dermatology. It's a rather superficial reason (genuine as it may be) for selecting dermatology as a career.

Reactions: 1 user

From a matching standpoint, it's so low on the list of things that I would focus on everything else you mentioned in your first sentence. I would NOT mention your experience with acne or interest in cosmetic dermatology. It's a rather superficial reason (genuine as it may be) for selecting dermatology as a career.
I'm still amazed by the number of personal statements that have the bout of acne routine. People clearly don't see how it comes off, no matter how genuine it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does saying that you struggled with acne automaticaly make it sound like you wanna do cosmetic derm?

Does saying that you struggled with acne automaticaly make it sound like you wanna do cosmetic derm?

No but it isn't a good reason to do dermatology. By that logic you would have no male OBGYNs and no female urologists.

There has to be something deeper and more meaningful to it. If you struggled with acne, did basic science research in the pathophysiology of acne, or did clinical research on acne/acne treatments/acne risk factors, did rotations at institutions that have an acne or follicular disorders clinic, etc..., then it would be worthwhile to say that your interest in derm was spurred by acne.

To simply say you are interested in dermatology because you struggled with acne (seriously, which teenager hasn't?) makes it sound like you don't have a very good understanding of what the field really entails.

So if I had a condition where makeup couldn't cover it up, would that be a deciding factor in matching? My sister told me she wouldn't go to a derm with a face like mine/someone who couldn't fix their own issues. I have had severe cystic acne and eczema for almost 3 decades now. Long stretches of Accutane, steroids, black box drugs, allergy shots, even acupuncture and herbal remedies, etc.

So if I had a condition where makeup couldn't cover it up, would that be a deciding factor in matching? My sister told me she wouldn't go to a derm with a face like mine/someone who couldn't fix their own issues. I have had severe cystic acne and eczema for almost 3 decades now. Long stretches of Accutane, steroids, black box drugs, allergy shots, even acupuncture and herbal remedies, etc.

I thought I was clear in my last statement but perhaps I need to expound

There are plenty of things that matter more than your actual physical appearance. Search the forum to see what those items are. Whether you are able to accomplish those things matter way more than how you look in terms of matching

That being said, your physical appearance obviously plays a role too (in any field you apply for) . Doing well in med school and getting help with your dermatological conditions are not mutually exclusive

Standard disclaimer : please refer to your friendly neighborhood dermatologist for treatment options