How much does Pharmacy Technician experience help for the pharmacy school classe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amanuel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering how helpful it will be to have pharmacy technician experience toward the actual pharmacy school classes.
It will certainly be helpful but I wasn't sure if it is worth it to spend a lot of time in retail pharmacy trying to learn more generic and brand drug names and how they work.

Is that really gone make a big difference in my pharmacy school years???

No doubt knowing how the work flows and the customer interaction will help me greatly when I come back as a pharmacist. But I wasn't sure how it relates to the 4 years in pharmacy school.

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Having any kind of pharmacy experience will only help you. Yes, you will have some knowledge on brand/generic drugs, but it's more of learning how the pharmacy actually works and learning how to type, dealing with insurance, processing prescriptions, etc. Having that under your belt will help you especially in pharmacy simulation labs during your P1 year.

It won't really make a difference after the first year of school since P1 students will have the community IPPE experience completed. But any kind of experience will be helpful. I always learn something new every time I work.

If you have the chance to work in a pharmacy, GO FOR IT.

Last edited:
When your professors make references to drugs on the market and patients who are commonly seen in the pharmacy, you will be able to relate very easily.

When they talk about a drug and give you the trade name for it, you'll be familiar with what it does, what side effects it can have, and what kinds of patients take it, if you have worked before school.

Then you may have some professors who discuss the law and if you have already worked and seen it while talking to customers, you'll be familiar with the details behind it.

PS. I think this should be moved to the pre-pharm forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the same time, it may confuse you on courses like "Ethics"

I think if youre a go getter and not just another body it can help build your professional relationships as well.

When your professors make references to drugs on the market and patients who are commonly seen in the pharmacy, you will be able to relate very easily.

When they talk about a drug and give you the trade name for it, you'll be familiar with what it does, what side effects it can have, and what kinds of patients take it, if you have worked before school.

Then you may have some professors who discuss the law and if you have already worked and seen it while talking to customers, you'll be familiar with the details behind it.

PS. I think this should be moved to the pre-pharm forum.

And I agree with you bob. Better late than never, right?

People I know who did tech work before pharmacy school had a lot of advantages. They know the drugs well, their dosing and it was easier for them to get an intern position.

My husband had wanted to work as a tech prior to pharmacy school, but we coundn't afford to lose his salary.
Once he was in pharmacy school he felt far behind his many classmates with prior experience.
If you can swing it, you should definitly work in a pharmacy if at all possible.
I am hoping my 20+ years of techwork will help me:xf: