How much does Pre-Med School factor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cekeener16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a M.D. or D.O. school. I still have some years of schooling to go and the MCATs to take. However, my biggest concern is how much does it make a difference or matter that I attend a very small state school in PA? Especially if I try for out-of-state D.O. or M.D. schools with a good gpa and mcat score. Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

1- it's MCAT, singular not plural.
2- where you do your undergrad has almost no bearing. It's no excuse to get a poor GPA. So, be sure you get good grades and a high MCAT score.

2- where you do your undergrad has almost no bearing. It's no excuse to get a poor GPA. So, be sure you get good grades and a high MCAT score.

Good, I initially went to my current undergrad school for PA. But after working in the OR, at my local hospital during the summer, I was convinced to attempt to go to med-school with the grades I am achieving. I was uncertain on if it was too late, undergrad school wise, to make it into med-school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good, I initially went to my current undergrad school for PA. But after working in the OR, at my local hospital during the summer, I was convinced to attempt to go to med-school with the grades I am achieving. I was uncertain on if it was too late, undergrad school wise, to make it into med-school.

You'll be fine as long as your undergrad is an accredited US institution.

Thanks a lot! Now I can focus on grades and the MCAT knowing this.

You'll be fine as long as your undergrad is an accredited US institution.

If we're talking about DO schools that's not necessarily true. The AACOMAS booklet explains how to get your transcripts evaluated if you have credits from a foreign institution. I did my pre med abroad and had no trouble getting into DO school this season.

If we're talking about DO schools that's not necessarily true. The AACOMAS booklet explains how to get your transcripts evaluated if you have credits from a foreign institution. I did my pre med abroad and had no trouble getting into DO school this season.

Did I say foreign school = dealbreaker? No. I said accredited US school = fine. The only way my statement isn't true is if you can name an accredited US school that awards bachelors degrees and isn't recognized by medical schools.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

it's MCATs if you mess up the first time/times;)

Anyway, in regard to the question, I think undergrad has almost nothing to do with DO school admissions. Focus on things you can control, gpa, ECs, research and let your app speak for itself. They won't remember your school when they finish reading the app anyway

Hi, I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a M.D. or D.O. school. I still have some years of schooling to go and the MCATs to take. However, my biggest concern is how much does it make a difference or matter that I attend a very small state school in PA? Especially if I try for out-of-state D.O. or M.D. schools with a good gpa and mcat score. Thanks. :confused:

Yea, I'd have to agree with everyone else. I wanted to add, though, that at my last interview one of the questions was about my school because he had never heard of it. It is regionally accredited so it didn't cause much of an issue but was more so joked about and he was just wondering why I had decided to go there. Just be prepared to answer that!:thumbup:

Yea, I'd have to agree with everyone else. I wanted to add, though, that at my last interview one of the questions was about my school because he had never heard of it. It is regionally accredited so it didn't cause much of an issue but was more so joked about and he was just wondering why I had decided to go there. Just be prepared to answer that!:thumbup:

I can easily answer that question. I was just very concerned when people started talking about how hard it would be because of my school. Of course these were people who really don't know much about med-school, that's why I got on here and asked.

I can easily answer that question. I was just very concerned when people started talking about how hard it would be because of my school. Of course these were people who really don't know much about med-school, that's why I got on here and asked.

You're fine, don't worry.

Did I say foreign school = dealbreaker? No. I said accredited US school = fine. The only way my statement isn't true is if you can name an accredited US school that awards bachelors degrees and isn't recognized by medical schools.

You didn't say that a foreign school was a dealbreaker but you did say that "You'll be fine as long as your undergrad is an accredited US institution."

While this is in fact true, you may have an undergrad that is NOT from "an accredited US institution" and still be eligible for admission, like myself. We can safely assume that all US institutions awarding bachelor's degrees are in fact accredited, but your statement might be misinterpreted to understand that you MUST have pre-med done at a "US accredited institution", and that simply is not the case (as outlined in the AACOMAS booklet).

I'm not trying to argue with you or be confrontational with this. It's just that I received a lot of misleading information on SDN regarding this topic when I was applying and I wouldn't like someone else to feel like they have to redo their pre-med stateside or that their foreign credentials are not valid because of SDN advice. I say this because I ALMOST did this. Thankfully I stuck to my guns and went through the proper channels to get my credentials evaluated (as per AACOMAS instructions) and everything worked out.

So now I feel I should encourage everybody who did not complete their pre-med at a "US accredited institution" to go for it! I never dreamed I'd get an interview invite, let alone an acceptance. However, I got 11 invites, but only attended 3. I've been accepted at 2 already (DMU and AZCOM) and I'm waiting on a response from Western-Pomona....Nothing is impossible. Even with a foreign pre-med. :D

Best of luck!!!