How much does taking advanced science classes help me getting into med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an engineering major, a computer science major, to be specific. I have taken some science courses to meet prerequsites of most medical schools (1 yr of mathematics, 1 yr of physics with labs, 1 yr of biology with labs, 1 yr of gen chem with labs, 1 yr of orchem with labs). Even though I have additional 2 yr of mathematics and 1 yr of physics course enrollments to the minimum requirement, I don't to the biology or chemistry requirements. But I have noticed after visiting some medical school homepages that they encourage students to take advanced science courses. In my situation (being an engineer), how much do you think they would weigh the fact that I don't have many advanced science courses. I am planning to apply next year, and I want to get some advice whether I should register for advanced science courses for next semester. And do top tier schools consider that more importantly than the others? Thanks in advance~

Members don't see this ad.

if you don't have time to take advanced science courses because of your major requirements, it won't hurt you. if they can see that you're taking 15 hrs with mostly engineering credits and not 13 hrs of blowoff type classes, they'll understand. engineering is a rigorous major with a huge load of classes, so i don't think it'll hurt you to not take them. if they were required, it'd be listed as a prereq. however, they are recommended or look good when you're applying so i'd encourage you to take them if you have the chance.

in addition, courses like biochemistry, cell bio, genetics, anatomy and physiology, are all covered again in med school (but in much shorter periods) and having gone through it once before helps you pick all that info up.

I am an engineering major, a computer science major, to be specific. I have taken some science courses to meet prerequsites of most medical schools (1 yr of mathematics, 1 yr of physics with labs, 1 yr of biology with labs, 1 yr of gen chem with labs, 1 yr of orchem with labs). Even though I have additional 2 yr of mathematics and 1 yr of physics course enrollments to the minimum requirement, I don't to the biology or chemistry requirements. But I have noticed after visiting some medical school homepages that they encourage students to take advanced science courses. In my situation (being an engineer), how much do you think they would weigh the fact that I don't have many advanced science courses. I am planning to apply next year, and I want to get some advice whether I should register for advanced science courses for next semester. And do top tier schools consider that more importantly than the others? Thanks in advance~

As long as your GPA is good and MCAT scores are good, not having upper division biology courses shouldn't hinder your chances. Also you'll need some good EC and LORs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

http://www.aas.duke.edu/trinity/prehealth/prepare/coursework.html
Requirements for Admission to Highly Competitive Medical Schools: Students seeking admission to what are considered by some to be the most competitive medical schools should plan to pursue a demanding curriculum that goes well beyond the minimum requirements for admission to all medical schools. Experience has shown that advanced course work, including graduate level courses (at Duke these are courses numbered 200 and above), semester overloads, and scholarship in the form of independent research is expected of successful applicants to those schools.

The only benefit of taking more advanced bio classes would be to make the courseload of med school classes a bit easier. Biochem, genetics, and neuroscience classes in particular would be of benefit.
In general, there is no "competitive edge" to taking extra science classes in terms of admission to med school.

absolutely nothing just get good grades