How much does your state Pharmacist license cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I will be paying at least one state board of pharmacy fees annually for the next 50 years, I started thinking, what is the cheapest state for licensing fees. For example, Texas appears to be $301/year to maintain active Pharmacist license. What state are you in, and how much do you pay yearly for your pharmacist license.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
$128 every 2 years in Wisconsin

And people complain about California...sheesh

Reactions: 1 users
$175 Tennessee, but lets not forget the $400 Professional Privilege tax..

So, practically its $975 every two years

Wow, I bet the board is loving all those new schools being built there!

Professional privilege tax? Do share.

Certain professions have to pay a $400 per year tax. Pharmacists, physicians, and PAs (I think) have to pay along with lawyers and other professions. Nurses were going to have to pay it, but they lobbied out of it. It just goes to show with a large enough voice you can change things.

Tennessee has no income tax though, but select professionals do have this tax including pharmacists.

What Digsbe said about the professional privilege tax. Its a $400 a year tax for the "privilege" of holding certain licenses in TN (doesn't matter if you practice here)
It applies to accountants, chiropractors, attorneys, architects, enginers, dentists, optometrists, physicians, professional athletes, speech agents, veteinarians, and several others.

It is definitely a compensation for not having an income tax. Fewer employers pay the privilege tax than pay your license. I actually think my current place pays both.

In Michigan you have to also pay for a "controlled substance license" if you work at a place that dispenses controls.