How much EC is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Jefe

The Jefe
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much extracurricular activity do med schools expect from us? I didn't really start doing much until my third year, and am not sure that it has been enough to really impress the adcoms:

1.5 years research
1 year clinical volunteering
4 years music
1 quarter TA'ing
1 summer working

I know it's pretty variable, but in general how many activities are you premeds involved in?

Members don't see this ad.

you have enough

It's quality not quantity. Do ECs that you WANT TO DO. Don't do things because you think it looks good on your resume!

During interviews, you will most likely be asked about your activities and admissions will be able to tell if you were passionate about your activities or just did it so it looked good on your amcas.

My friend had only two activities, and one clinical volunteer activity but for one of her activities, she was vice president for two years. She has already recieved an interview from Columbia and recieved a secondary from Stanford.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Enough to show that you have a life outside of being a pre-med! :D

like Lecular said quality not quantity. Its not so much how many EC's you have its more your level of envolvement. It seems to me you are pretty envolved. Anyone can sign up for a club or volunteer postiton but it takes dedication to earn a leadership position in either of those situations and I think that is more along the lines of what ADCOMS are looling for.

i did alot and loved everything that i did. maybe alittle more clinical volunteering and maybe with people who need chronic care like nursing facilities, care homes, or hospice. but it is all about quality and length of time. maximize your research by presenting it at national conferences, writing abstracts, getting fellowships, and getting papers published in undergrad journals. no need to join any pre med anything. if you join a club then be a leader in that club. but it looks like you won't have much time before you graduate. just maximize what you have now. maybe write an article about your clinical volunteering in a student newsletter. etc.