How much experience possible as intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucky One

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just recently started as an intern for CVS (P1). How decent could I get relative to a lead tech assuming no prior tech experience, 20 hour week/40 in summer?

I really see the value of lead techs and would think it would be appropriate to know the inter-workings well before I get a PharmD.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it depends on the lead tech but I would say after the first summer you should be roughly on par in terms of day to day activities. The lead tech will always be ahead of you in terms of those issues that hardly ever come up or the stuff that she is the only one that ever does, but I wouldn't worry about those tasks anyway. I would say three to four months of full time work for an intern should be enough to know how to do all the tech stations proficiently.

Just so you are not setting yourself up for failure, I am not as fast at typing scripts as the best lead tech I have worked with, nor will I ever be. Everyone has their strengths and weakness, don't expect that you will be the best at everything in the pharmacy. Just focus on doing the best you can and in no time you will be on par or better than everyone else in the pharmacy.

I'v been at CVS for 8-9 months and there are still issues I run into at drop-off, but I'd say after a few months you will be more than proficient. After 6 months I pretty much felt comfortable no matter what I was doing.