How much free time do you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maison

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering.

I'm asking because I am amazed at how little free time I've had since I began this semester, and that being only working twenty hours a week--which is not at all bad.

I suppose a lot of it is going the "extra mile" when studying. I don't necessarily have to do every single practice problem the teacher recommends, but I do them anyway.

Of course, Facebook and internet forums counts as free time, but it is a luxury I feel I can still afford.

Members don't see this ad.

I still have quite a bit of free time still, and I spend most of it with family. Every once in a while, if I have a whole bunch of exams/papers due at the same time I'll get a little stressed. Overall, though, I have enough time to still enjoy life.

Not much this semester. My course load isn't too bad, and I've quit most of my student organizations on campus. However I'm dedicating most of this semester to studying for the MCAT and volunteering at the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have less free time this semester than last semester which is surprising.

This semester: 12 hours of lecture a week, 4 hours of lab (3x math, 1x chem & lab.)
Last semester: 9 hours of lecture a week, 11 hours of lab (2x chem & lab, physics & lab/recitation.)

This semester I have ~12 hours of homework a week. :( Last semester I had maybe 5.

Last edited:
I have less free time this semester than last semester which is surprising.

This semester: 12 hours of lecture a week, 4 hours of lab (3x math, 1x chem & lab.)
Last semester: 9 hours of lecture a week, 11 hours of lab (2x chem & lab, physics & lab/recitation.)

This semester I have ~12 hours of homework a week. :( Last semester I had maybe 5.

in my last undergraduate quarter, i took 27 units while working in a lab for my masters degree

I graduated, yet I don't have as much free time as I thought I would. DAMN ERRANDS!

I have more free time than I know what to do with.

in my last undergraduate quarter, i took 27 units while working in a lab for my masters degree
1269385664419_thumb.jpeg

I have a ton of free time and im supposed to be studying for the MCAT...

That's not free time. Free time is the time in which you have the freedom to do anything you want to do without any consequences. I have a lot of free time now that I've graduated..

I wasted a whole summer and one semester not studying for the MCAT (when I could have) and was only prepared for one section by the time I took it. Better get on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a little bit of free time. I don't have a job but I study a lot. Between studying and lecture, I would say I have a fair amount of free time.

Tons. Gap years rock. Even working the 9-5 grind allows you so much freedom because you never have to bring stuff home.

That's not free time. Free time is the time in which you have the freedom to do anything you want to do without any consequences. I have a lot of free time now that I've graduated..

I wasted a whole summer and one semester not studying for the MCAT (when I could have) and was only prepared for one section by the time I took it. Better get on it.

Agreed, not free time in that sense, but free in the terms of no work. I seem to be ready to push my test date back a bit.

im taking 12 lec+ 3 hours lab

but my god do i have an unquenchable hate for my electives (geography and interp. comm)

Pretty much none.

Working and going to school sucks. Oh well, still no student loan debt.

I think most people don't accurately look at their free time.

For example, Most of us attend classes "physically" for perhaps 16-18 hours a week. I'll round up to 20.

Ok what about studying? Let's say 4-5 hours a day...that should be 28-35 hours a week, but I'll just round up to a fat 40.

What about people who work? Ok, 20 hours a week spent working (for people with work-study programs they can often study and work at the same time but we'll ignore that).

Sleeping? Let's pretend everyone here gets their 8 hours of sleep a day (unlikely).

Assuming you study almost 6 hours every day, are in classes for over 20 hours a week, work for 20 hours a week, and still get 8 hours of sleep a day, that still leaves you with about 5 hours of free time a day.

I often feel like I have no time but when I look at it, I'm really bleeding away tons of hours every day on random stuff that I probably didn't plan on spending my "free time" on, but nonetheless, it's still very much free time. I struggle to believe anyone here spends 40 hours a week studying (unless you have a 3.90+) in addition to working 20 hours a week...that's absurd. Thus, most of us here actually probably have much more than that.

Plenty until August!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think most people don't accurately look at their free time.

For example, Most of us attend classes "physically" for perhaps 16-18 hours a week. I'll round up to 20.

Ok what about studying? Let's say 4-5 hours a day...that should be 28-35 hours a week, but I'll just round up to a fat 40.

What about people who work? Ok, 20 hours a week spent working (for people with work-study programs they can often study and work at the same time but we'll ignore that).

Sleeping? Let's pretend everyone here gets their 8 hours of sleep a day (unlikely).

Assuming you study almost 6 hours every day, are in classes for over 20 hours a week, work for 20 hours a week, and still get 8 hours of sleep a day, that still leaves you with about 5 hours of free time a day.

I often feel like I have no time but when I look at it, I'm really bleeding away tons of hours every day on random stuff that I probably didn't plan on spending my "free time" on, but nonetheless, it's still very much free time. I struggle to believe anyone here spends 40 hours a week studying (unless you have a 3.90+) in addition to working 20 hours a week...that's absurd. Thus, most of us here actually probably have much more than that.

I work full-time, roughly 40-45 hours per week, and I'm taking 4 classes this semester.

Again, what free time? I've become time management incarnate.

I'd love to have 5 hours every day where I have the energy to do something productive outside of the gym.

I work full-time, roughly 40-45 hours per week, and I'm taking 4 classes this semester.

Again, what free time? I've become time management incarnate.

I'd love to have 5 hours every day where I have the energy to do something productive outside of the gym.

Dude, if you're working full-time and taking classes, obviously you are a very atypical applicant and not representative of everyone else on the forum. That hardly addresses the point I was trying to make, which is that most people actually have a lot more free time than they realize.

Dude, if you're working full-time and taking classes, obviously you are a very atypical applicant and not representative of everyone else on the forum. That hardly addresses the point I was trying to make, which is that most people actually have a lot more free time than they realize.

You left out time for eating, getting dressed, showering, taking a poo, and about 15 minutes dedicated to flexing in the mirror..

You left out time for eating, getting dressed, showering, taking a poo, and about 15 minutes dedicated to flexing in the mirror..

:cool: im impressed you work that into your daily routine.

Less than most of you guys ;)

I have about 4-5 hours at home after a non-call day, and I have to shower, eat, clean up, prepare for conferences or study for boards/ABSITE, and post on SDN. It's busy.

I have to shower... post on SDN. It's busy.

Straighten out priorities. SDN should be top of the list.

Also, I have alot of free time. Less than college or working though.

I am just wondering.

I'm asking because I am amazed at how little free time I've had since I began this semester, and that being only working twenty hours a week--which is not at all bad.

I suppose a lot of it is going the "extra mile" when studying. I don't necessarily have to do every single practice problem the teacher recommends, but I do them anyway.

Of course, Facebook and internet forums counts as free time, but it is a luxury I feel I can still afford.
fryee tymee???? What the hell is that? Is that like currency or something?

WTF kinda accent is that? Don't say British.
Gap Yah is a comedy sketch that gained widespread popularity and press coverage, especially in the United Kingdom, after being published on the video-sharing site YouTube. It was created and performed by Oxford University graduate Matt Lacey of sketch comedy theatre troupe The Unexpected Items. The video was produced and directed by VMproductions and The Unexpected Items, originally from the School of Oriental and African Studies.[1] The video became a viral hit, with 660,000 views in its first month and around 50,000 "fresh hits a day"[2] in late March 2010.[3] To date (August 2010), the clip has been viewed over two million times.

The video depicts a student named Orlando describing to his friend Tarquin several of his experiences and encounters during a gap year in Peru, Tanzania and Burma, all of which resulted in him vomiting—or "chundering"—everywhere.[4] The video is a spoof of British upper-middle-class public school students (using distinctively drawn-out vowels)—commonly known as rahs—who boast about their experiences, typically in the third world, prior to attending university.[4] The sketch has resulted in the term being increasingly used in schools and universities across Britain.[5] An online following has developed, with tribute facebook pages as well as several remixed versions of the video having been created by others.[4][5] Phrases from the video have become cultural memes, with the phrase "...and then I just chundered everywhere" being added to satirise election posters of Conservative Party leader and current UK prime minister David Cameron as well as events such as the eruption of the Icelandic Eyjafjallajökull volcano.

It's meant to be a British accent.

[YOUTUBE]eKFjWR7X5dU[/YOUTUBE]

:laugh:

I wish my gap yah was that exciting. There is not nearly enough personal growth through amazing cultural and social experiences in third world countries. Or enough chundering. I'll have to get on that.

Once I finish my Senior Thesis, I will have more free time. Surprisingly, I think I have more free time this last semester than I have had since Freshman Year. So, I guess I'm doing okay...haha