how much harder is pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmMnM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult/stressful is pharmacy school compared to undergrad? Are the stuff you learn in pharmacy school comparable to the Bios and Chems/ochems, physics, calculus learned as an undergrad?

Rate fthe level of difficulty from 1 to 10 for your experience as undergrad
and
1 to 10 for pharmacy school, 1 being easy.

Sorry but I don't know what I'm getting myself into and I just want to prepare myself by getting feedback from you guys, who are now in pharmacy school!

Thanks so much@

Members don't see this ad.

For me Undergrad: 4 (I also worked about 25 hrs a week in a restaurant)
Pharmacy school: 1st year- 6
2nd year- 8

This is obviously going to depend on what everyone's stats are and such. I went to the University of South Florida for undergrad and I'm at the University of Florida for Pharmacy School. In undergrad I had a 3.67 overall GPA and a 3.6 Science GPA. Now I've got a 3.33 GPA in Pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic Chem, Physics, and Calculus were all harder than any subject I learned in pharmacy school. I do not believe there are any difficult concepts that you need to sit and think about and do practice problems to understand them in pharmacy school however there is a lot more material to memorize in a shorter amount of time.

Pharmacy school has a lot of material to memorize. The university of buffalo in NY has a tough program. At the time, i would rate it an 8, now that i think of it, i studied hard and got through it. Today i would rate it a 6. Be prepared to do a lot of group work and studying.

Carlos

Undergrad: 8
Stress level: 6

Pharmacy school: 7
Stress level: 8

Time management is your friend. The material in pharmacy school isn't hard, it's just memorization and sticking to a schedule in order to get all the busy work done. Stress is higher because there's more to do, more urgency to learn since it's material that you'll actually use in the real world.

Undergrad: 9

This is my third week of pharm school so this is subject to change:

Pharm school: 5

I have loads of free time now. Pharm school is like having a job. Show up, pay attention, be busy, go to the library for some homework/reading, and then go home and have an evening. At least until P2, P3 and probably until our experiential program kicks into full gear in a couple of weeks, things aren't so bad.

i dont know what to expect

I did a undergrad in bio from Penn State

so Ive already had the upper level physios, anatomy, etc

so Im hoping that knowledge will help me to some extent

undergrad was a breeze compared to pharm school. 3rd year wasn't bad but 4th and 5th sucked. rotations were easy.

undergrad: 6-7 (depending on the semester)
grad: 8-9

undergrad 8
rx school 3

Some of the undergrad classes like P-chem, Quantitative Analysis, upper level Biochem were much harder than the hardest pharmacy school material.. and I can't think of any pharmacy material that's difficult..For 4 years, we studied Drugs, pathology, physio, pharmacology, Therapeutics... all these are straight forward and not very difficult to learn.

Another aspect of this subjective assessment is that because I knew didactic study of RX school is what I needed to know for my future profession, I took a genunie interest in learning the material while I studied rather than studying to score on the test like I did in undergrad.

Pharmacy school is easy. And it's a state of mind. And once you accept that, you'll breeze through school.

Then again, it's just me.

Undergrad: 8
Rx school (so far): 5

Undergrad tends to work at weeding students out. At my pharm. school they want you to do well and won't let you fall behind. Lab's are MUCH more laid back than they ever were in undergrad!

first 2 years of engineering undergrad:7
last 2 years of engineering undergrad:8
Pharmacy pre reqs w/o organic:3
organic:6
Pharmacy school:5

Of course I did mature and get used to school along the way which made going back to pharmacy school easier.

My GPA actually increased 0.4 points in pharmacy school and it was a good GPA to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last 2 years of molecular and micro undergrad: 6
1st semester of pharm school: 8

The first couple weeks were pretty easy and laid back. I guess they didn't want to throw us into full gear right away. So far the worst week was the middle of the semester at week 8. We don't have any cumulative finals this semester so our last week shouldn't be too bad.

I've never had anything more than 13 credit hours so it was a shock to have this much to do all the time :oops: ... whether it's an exam, speech, quiz, or misc. assignment. And while all of that is happening, I have about 4-5 lectures a day to watch. The material isn't difficult, it's the amount of material and the testing methods from professors that can sometimes get frustrating.

Uh-huh. It's as I suspected. The stress level has increased a bit over the last few weeks. I'm at a 7/10 for stress. Our school went into a testing frenzy a few weeks ago (think sharks and blood for an amusing image). At first I thought my classmates were being a little histrionic about the situation. I caught up to them.

Now, here's a real gripe of mine. We had limited time to prepare for and take the exams, but faculty can take their time grading them. What?! If they can't take the time to grade an exam, they shouldn't administer it.

Yikes, why am I still in school mode? First weekend in weeks without a Monday exam - I'm so outta here. :laugh:

Uh-huh. It's as I suspected. The stress level has increased a bit over the last few weeks. I'm at a 7/10 for stress. Our school went into a testing frenzy a few weeks ago (think sharks and blood for an amusing image). At first I thought my classmates were being a little histrionic about the situation. I caught up to them.
QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!!! My stress level is way up there, too. It's just a different kind of stress than the prereq path...OChem being the biggest challenge back then.

P1 makes you feel a little crazy because the material is understandable, but the amount of time it takes to wrap yourself around it all is not. Taking 17-18 credits after only doing 12 for so long is a shocker. Like Troy's school, we have testing frenzy, too. Our weeks seem to involve 1-2 tests, with your regular homework and labs not included. Then, every 3-4 weeks we have a week where it's a test a day. My pre-Thanksgiving week is going to be one of those.

As others have said: Time Management is KEY!! If you can survive keeping your grades competitive enough to get into Pharmacy school--you can survive Pharmacy school when you get there. Just dig deep within yourself and you'll make it. (That's my mantra right now, it better work! :laugh: )

Undergrad = 6
Pharm = 7-8

I've found that the material isn't significantly difficult (maybe because I'm older and wiser now, haha) but there is just MUCH more of it to learn. What I need to know for one exam here would be covered over the course of a semester in undergrad. Time management is key. Supposedly, P2 is the toughest year though, so we'll see.

The first year is all about getting used to the pace. During your second year, you have all the hard classes but you are comfortable with the pace by this time. Year three, at least at UF, they double the pace. The classes aren't as difficult, but it is application of knowledge which takes time to prepare your assignments. My stress level doubled that year.

The first year is all about getting used to the pace. During your second year, you have all the hard classes but you are comfortable with the pace by this time. Year three, at least at UF, they double the pace. The classes aren't as difficult, but it is application of knowledge which takes time to prepare your assignments. My stress level doubled that year.

Great, something to look forward to!:rolleyes:

QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!!! My stress level is way up there, too. It's just a different kind of stress than the prereq path...OChem being the biggest challenge back then.

P1 makes you feel a little crazy because the material is understandable, but the amount of time it takes to wrap yourself around it all is not. Taking 17-18 credits after only doing 12 for so long is a shocker. Like Troy's school, we have testing frenzy, too. Our weeks seem to involve 1-2 tests, with your regular homework and labs not included. Then, every 3-4 weeks we have a week where it's a test a day. My pre-Thanksgiving week is going to be one of those.

As others have said: Time Management is KEY!! If you can survive keeping your grades competitive enough to get into Pharmacy school--you can survive Pharmacy school when you get there. Just dig deep within yourself and you'll make it. (That's my mantra right now, it better work! :laugh: )

Yes, I agree with you...Time Management is key and it is the volume of work not really the difficulty of the material that is the challenge.:)

I think the more research-based pharmacy schools are definitely harder according to these postings.

I think Buffalo, Florida, UCSF, and anywhere else that is focused on research is going to make you know pharmacy more in depth and closer to pure science. Schools like USN and Shenandoah which goals are to have most people go to retail tend to be easier.

This is just what I think I notice. Maybe I am totally wrong.

Pre Pharmacy = 5
Pharmacy year 1 = 6
Pharmacy year 2 = 8-9!!!!!!!!

Is pharm school only 2 years? And how hard was the PMAT, did you have to study a lot?

Where exactly are you in the pharmacy school process? Pharmacy school tends to be 4 years in school (some 3 year programs) and 2 years pre-req.

For me...
undergrad 3 or 4
grad school 3 or 4
pharm school year 1- 4 or 5
pharm school year 2- 7 or 8

The difference for me is the professors... Last year I had some great profs who really wanted us to learn and tried hard to teach well. This year I have 2 of the most arrogant and ambiguous teachers that the school has to offer. There also is a huge increase in the volume of material for each test, which might not be bad if they didn't pick some minute diagnostic detail to test on... I don't think diagnostics are irrelevant, I just think that there are other much more impt. details.

Its been a long time....time has diminshed the difficulty of both undergrad & graduate school.

I worked really hard in undergrad - partially because I was ill during some of the time I had to have my grades count...

However, pharmacy school was hard & really rewarding at the same time!!!

I had a wonderful & difficult time (as I remember it) the whole time I was in school. The most difficult part has been keeping up during the 30 years since I've been out of school - that is all on my own doing & because I want to. You have to want to keep up (and sometimes that involves learning the science before you learn the drugs)!! So...remember, you are committed for the lifetime of your career!

Beatrix....pharmacy school is variable...it depends on when you begin. It can be 6 years - from start to finish. It can be 3 or 4 years of graduate school. There is no ABSOLUTE!

And the examination is the PCAT - not an PMAT....just a semantics issue - no big deal. I never took it so I can't tell you if its difficult or not. I see you are premedical - does that mean you want to pursue medicine or healthcare issues generally?

Let us know if you want more info.....the FAQ thread has lots of info if you need it. Otherwise.....ask away - we'll be willing to answer any questions no matter what field you want to pursue!

Im a freshman pharmacy major but we have a 0+6 program. Does anyone else have this format and what is the stress level like for you? My stress fluctuates every other week because my profs are crazy. We are expected to know so much! I have 18 credit hours right now. Will it get harder as I get into my 3rd year--the first professional year?

Engineering school at UCLA 12
Pharmacy School first year 8(trying to be Rho Chi)
Pharmacy school 2-3 6 (lots to memorize but not hard to pass classes....)

I have loads of free time now. Pharm school is like having a job. Show up, pay attention, be busy, go to the library for some homework/reading, and then go home and have an evening. At least until P2, P3 and probably until our experiential program kicks into full gear in a couple of weeks, things aren't so bad.

WOW - thanks for digging this one up.

I can't wait for this nonsense to end. Pharmacy school is like Astro Turf. It's pretty, green and kind of feels like something resembling grass - but it's really plastic, artificial and melts in a fire.

Hmm. After taking an average of 25 hours/semester (my highest was 29) in addition to a 20 hr/wk job, I'm actually looking forward to 17-18 hours/semester.

Pharmacy school has a lot of material to memorize. The university of buffalo in NY has a tough program. At the time, i would rate it an 8, now that i think of it, i studied hard and got through it. Today i would rate it a 6. Be prepared to do a lot of group work and studying.

Carlos

pretty accurate I think. Although I might just say a 7. Just because things are a lot stricter now. Essentially you need to have a B average, no 2 C's in a course that is a Sequence (for example, therapeutics) and stupid IPPE hours. They have efficiently designed the school to make you work harder then ever before which will earn you a B, or have no life and then you will have an A.

In response to the OP:
School is remarkably based on chemistry and biochemistry then I ever thought possible. Kinetics (Michealis-Menton), pharmacology, and others have their basis in chemistry. Hell even compounding, we used conversions into moles for some calculations. Thank god I was good at Gen Chem and PChem

Neither was too hard... Undergrad probably about 2 to 3, pharmacy school about 5 or so. But I am the only one of all my friends to think that way. :D

Pharmacy school was way more boring, though...

I rate pharmacy school as an 8-9...maybe that's just because I'm in it right now. Hopefully I'll look back on it and call it a 5 or something. I also find it boring, so sometimes I wonder it is the right career path for me?

I rate pharmacy school as an 8-9...maybe that's just because I'm in it right now. Hopefully I'll look back on it and call it a 5 or something. I also find it boring, so sometimes I wonder it is the right career path for me?

What year are you in school? It does improve towards the last two years.

In any case, the best think about pharmacy is that it open so many different doors, anyone can find a job that's right for them. :)

Difficulty
Undergrad: 5

Pharmacy: 7

Workload

Undergrad: 5
Pharmacy: 9

I don't feel that the materials covered in Pharmacy school are too difficult to learn. Courses such as Organic Chem, Physics, and calc are comparable to some of the hardest courses you'll be taking in Pharm school. I think the major difference is the pace and workload. In Pharmacy School, you'll be taking about 7 courses per semester and very little time to study the material.

What year are you in school? It does improve towards the last two years.

In any case, the best think about pharmacy is that it open so many different doors, anyone can find a job that's right for them. :)

P1 right now, and I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

nursing undergrad: 6/10
Pharmacy P1: 8/10

Undergrad: 6
Pharm (P-1): 7

A little harder, not too bad. I think it's mostly going from the quarter to a semester system that has me thrown for a loop. Also, moving across the country and simultaneously getting used to a nitty gritty/dirty city takes a little while.

Also, my program is 3.0 minimum not 2.0, so I actually need to try just a little bit more to pass. I've been doing this school thing so long I'm pretty much a professional student. I've seen hard...this really isnt' it, yet at least. We'll see how P-3 is.

Difficulty
Undergrad: 3
Pharmacy: 5

Workload
Undergrad: 4
Pharmacy: 7

Pharmacy school was definitely a lot more work but at the same the material was interesting and useful. I though my P3 year was one the easier years since we did a lot of case based learning and rotations are a breeze.

Hmm. After taking an average of 25 hours/semester (my highest was 29) in addition to a 20 hr/wk job, I'm actually looking forward to 17-18 hours/semester.

Can I ask how you can take over the standard 19? Like did you attend two different colleges or took online classes? I remember reading James Franco (guy from Spider Man) took over 50 credits in one semester...how is that even possible?!

Can I ask how you can take over the standard 19? Like did you attend two different colleges or took online classes? I remember reading James Franco (guy from Spider Man) took over 50 credits in one semester...how is that even possible?!

at my college, computer registration capped you at 20, but you could manually add by signature in-person and you weren't restricted on that.

You'd get a call from your advising office near the start of your academic quarter asking you if you really want to do that...unless you had a chronically bad GPA (<2.5 or so) they usually waved you on through.

I pretty much did a consistent 22-24 units per quarter 2nd and 3rd year undergrad. By the end of 3rd year and 4th year, I went down to 18-20 tops. Haha, my last quarter, I took 12 units of easy bull**** classes and traveled a lot.

P2 here, and all I have to say is, oh my god oh my god oh my god I can't take this anymore! The P1 year lulled us into a false sense of security.

Pharmacy school
Stress level 8.5
Workload 8.5

Undergrad
Stress level 5
Workload 5

I've never studied this much in my life. It's no longer possible to cram.

While I was in school, there was no limit to the number of hours I could take per semester. You simply had to get the dean to sign off on your registration form. But after I took 29, I decided "No more!" Oddly enough, when I took 16 hours my last semester, I struggled because I had so much time on my hands I simply wasted it.

And I agree with you. How is >50 even possible??!! The highest I've ever known anyone take is 34.

I've heard of someone doing 50...all non-science classes, he basically just took exams (or papers), didn't go to class, and took them all P/NP. Any exam conflicts during finals he cleared ahead of time. I think he just wanted to graduate.

I changed my mind after exam today:

Nursing undergrade: 6 (+2 but mainly come from clinical, not classroom component)
Pre-pharm:7
P1 Phrarm: 9/10

but I don't work while in nursing school.

Undergrad 7/10
PharmD 8/10
(In retrospect...was PIC this week at work, that is a 10/10!)

Last edited:
Undergrad at the time I'd rate it as 4.5, in retrospect no change.

Now in pharmacy school its about a 6. I have to stress, though, that it really isn't HARD, it is simply time consuming. Not to say its just busy work, but there is a LOT of stuff. I haven't stressed about an exam yet, but even some of my exams are 6 hours long.so you get my point I guess.

:)

As a special case student who has attended 4 different undergrad schools, I can tell you that the difficulty of undergrad varies based on institution and major of study. I can bet that pharmacy school difficulty with also vary based on the institution and your extracurricular activities.

would anyone like to comment on how hard auburn's hsop is compared to auburn undergrad?