How much have you spent so far this application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see how much everyone's been spending on their application process this year. This includes the primary fees, secondary fees, interview trip fees and etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha wow....probably around 6k.

I'd say between $1500 and $2000

Members don't see this ad :)
"1 million dollars!"
tumblr_m9hhb4EUos1rtjene.gif

Seriously though... probably like $4500...

cool thread!

$4900 :-/ about to boil water for my top ramen

Probably around $1500 so far, but I'm not done with my secondaries and I haven't gone on any interviews yet.

that is not bad at all!! how did you manage to spend so little?

i spent total about 4000$
I got the aid from AMCAS so my 6 MD apps were mostly free.

And I've been fortunate with lodging so I haven't paid that much (stayed with a friend in Omaha, and with a student volunteer in Des Moines). I think being able to drive to 2 interviews in AZ helped to save a ton, too.

$1066. That's including 2 interviews (airfare, car, sleeping, food) but not including the MCAT. The AACOMAS fee waiver has been good to me!

i really really wanna go check out Touro NY but I am petrified by having to add another$ 500

i really really wanna go check out Touro NY but I am petrified by having to add another$ 500

I hate to start this...but why? I have seen a few people say this and I'm curious what attracts them to the school.

close to 3k for me. i saw the outside of touro ny and i was like wut lol

I've spent about $1500 on apps/interviews, not MCAT stuff. I applied to one MD school early decision and 6 DO schools. I completed all secondaries but only went to three interviews. One interview I could walk to (WVU, 15 minutes from my front door :p), one I drove to (WVSOM), and one I flew to (CCOM). I got in to all three so I am officially done. I guess I should be happy with how much I spent compared to others, but my bank account is still recovering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to start this...but why? I have seen a few people say this and I'm curious what attracts them to the school.

NYC the greatest city in the world (except the living condition as a poor med student)

NYC the greatest city in the world (except the living condition as a poor med student)

I keep hearing that too... What makes it so great? I guess that's kind of off topic, but I just keep getting the vibe that it's all gun violence and people who are too busy for you. No offense to anyone.

I keep hearing that too... What makes it so great? I guess that's kind of off topic, but I just keep getting the vibe that it's all gun violence and people who are too busy for you. No offense to anyone.

sorry to keep going off topic, but NYC has amazing diversity and stupendous culture that you can't get anywhere else except maybe maybe maybe LA. and it actually isn't all that unsafe. since the 90s nyc has become very very safe and EXPENSIVE.

also they have great public transportation system in the country and the chance to enjoy both some of Monet's best paintings in the morning at MOMA and dinner in authentic Chinese restaurant in China town and go to Opera at the met or go to some hardcore rock band in the village all in one day is a big big draw.

Last edited:
sorry to keep going off topic, but NYC has amazing diversity and stupendous culture that you can't get anywhere else except maybe maybe maybe LA. and it actually isn't all that unsafe. since the 90s nyc has become very very safe and EXPENSIVE.

Ya... I don't think I'll ever truly understand the NYC draw, but thanks for clarifying. :D

I can only do a rough estimate but its probably been about $5000 if you include buying a new suit and shoes.
This is depressing. Lol

So far my running total is $2120, which includes primary/secondary fees, transcript fees, new suit, travel & hotel for two interviews. The next three interviews are all close to home, so no hotel/excessive mileage to worry about (drove to both OOS interviews).

So far my running total is $2120, which includes primary/secondary fees, transcript fees, new suit, travel & hotel for two interviews. The next three interviews are all close to home, so no hotel/excessive mileage to worry about (drove to both OOS interviews).

that's not too bad

850 on primaries, ~1300 on secondaries. haven't started interviews yet but those costs (travel, lodging, clothing) will kick it up.

Around $7k to date.

MCAT: $235
24 MD primaries: $976
10 DO primaries: $495
22 MD secondaries: ~$2100
7 DO secondaries: ~$520
Suit + tailoring: $600
Shirts/Ties/Shoes: ~$300
4 interviews attended: ~$1500

Around $7k to date.

MCAT: $235
24 MD primaries: $976
10 DO primaries: $495
22 MD secondaries: ~$2100
7 DO secondaries: ~$520
Suit + tailoring: $600
Shirts/Ties/Shoes: ~$300
4 interviews attended: ~$1500

WT... Man you must have looked sharp in that 600 suit. this gotta be the most that anyone spent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

WT... Man you must have looked sharp in that 600 suit. this gotta be the most that anyone spent

I hope so. It's a $1400 suit.

scared to add it all up. suspect it will be around 4-6k in the end. though a large chunk of it is a PR course which in hindsight wasnt necessary

Wow. I can't believe i've gotten far enough that I am adding the amount spent. I remember reading these threads months ago in anticipation!

Lets see...all are approximations

80 mcat
about 300 for primary apps
about 300 for secondaries. maybe.
clothes $200. i bummed a pair of shoes from my friend.
traveling was about $2000

so ~$2900

oh and i also gave AZCOM my deposit. so $3900.

About $1000 so far. My parents are ready to kill me and I haven't started interviewing yet.

Wow. I can't believe i've gotten far enough that I am adding the amount spent. I remember reading these threads months ago in anticipation!

Lets see...all are approximations

80 mcat
about 300 for primary apps
about 300 for secondaries. maybe.
clothes $200. i bummed a pair of shoes from my friend.
traveling was about $2000

so ~$2900

oh and i also gave AZCOM my deposit. so $3900.

I don't think I heard that you got into AZCOM. Congrats!

$2300+ so far:

Primary fees about $800
Secondary fees almost $800
Suit around $250
Travel to interviews around $250 (Took a train everywhere so far)
Hotel & food: $200 (stayed with a student once and at home once)

I hope so. It's a $1400 suit.

Huh? I thought it was 600

About $1000 so far. My parents are ready to kill me and I haven't started interviewing yet.

Already? I told my parents eho are chopping in for plane fares thst more school I c more chance I can save on tuition if they give scholarship

Glad I have a job.

Suit: ~1000
Shoes: 250
Primaries: 700
Secondaries: 1000
3 interviews: 1200
Total: 4150

Glad I have a job.

Wow people are spending alot on suit and shoes. Mine is dkny but got it on sale for 300 and my shoe s for less than 100

Wow people are spending alot on suit and shoes. Mine is dkny but got it on sale for 300 and my shoe s for less than 100

I'm Italian. We don't buy cheap suits.

I'm a little older and wanted to look a little more professional than the other interviewees. I plan on wearing it to residency interviews as well. Plus you can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers.

Glad I have a job.

:eek: a thousand dollars on a suit!! dang, and here I am thinking my $100 suit was too expensive haha.

:confused: Please tell me your suit wasn't $1,000 or more.

Mine was $600 (retail = $1400), but when you talk about the real quality suit makers like caraceni and gieves & hawkes, $1000 is nothing.

It's like saying a $1k watch is a fancy watch. I mean, it's a lot of money, but there are tons of watches that cost way more than that.

Regardless, nobody going into medical school needs to be buying a really expensive suit. We won't be needing to wear it again until residency interviews and by then we might need to buy a whole new suit depending on our exercise/eating habits ;)

Mine was $600 (retail = $1400), but when you talk about the real quality suit makers like caraceni and gieves & hawkes, $1000 is nothing.

It's like saying a $1k watch is a fancy watch. I mean, it's a lot of money, but there are tons of watches that cost way more than that.

Regardless, nobody going into medical school needs to be buying a really expensive suit. We won't be needing to wear it again until residency interviews and by then we might need to buy a whole new suit depending on our exercise/eating habits ;)

Very true. I think my $700 suit was a steal considering the coat itself is worth that much.

I also think I splurged on my $140 Fossil watch :D

What does 1k suit feel compared to cheaper kind?

What does 1k suit feel compared to cheaper kind?

Amazing. Also looks a lot better.

Like they look more hip? Because I didn't want to go for that

How hip a suit looks is independent of its cost. The quality of the fabric, however, is quite noticeable when comparing my suit to a JC Penney suit.

Edit: I've also noticed that my suit is a lot cooler (temperature) than other people's suits. I'm normally run pretty hot (i.e. I feel warm/hot when other people don't), but on every interview I've been on people have mentioned how hot they were in their suit and each time I never felt even slightly warm.

The material is obviously nicer.

I had to buy a new suit for my residency interviews and most of my classmates did the same.

How hip a suit looks is independent of its cost. The quality of the fabric, however, is quite noticeable when comparing my suit to a JC Penney suit.

Edit: I've also noticed that my suit is a lot cooler (temperature) than other people's suits. I'm normally run pretty hot (i.e. I feel warm/hot when other people don't), but on every interview I've been on people have mentioned how hot they were in their suit and each time I never felt even slightly warm.

Regarding your temp claims, what is the suit made out of?