About the ads

how much IM starting salary at HMO's like kaiser for new graduates?

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by bulldog, Jan 6, 2007.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. bulldog

bulldog Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    for hmo's like kaiser, what are starting salary for residents who completed their training? how many hrs/wk?
  2. drctaylor

drctaylor

Resident [Any Field]
    About 130,000 for outpatient medicine 4 and half day work-week.
  3. bulldog

bulldog Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    what about inpatient hospitalist work? or the ones who do outpatient and admit patients. where did u get ur figures from? thanks.
  4. drctaylor

drctaylor

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Bulldog,

I interviewed at Kaiser, so this is straight from the source.

Base salary is exactly 136,000 for the 4.5 day work week..

If you add on the extra half day, in other words a 5 day work week, add 18,000 to the above.

Starting your 2nd year, base is 145,800
    3rd year, 153,000
    4th year, 177,600, and by the time you reach the 4th year you're eligible for partnership which can add on an additional 15,000 a year.

I am not sure about hospitalist. I interviewed for "traditional" only, so there is some inpatient work depending on what group you join, but it's mostly outpatient based.

It seems like the docs here work their butts off. The benefits are great, I think that would be one of the strongest things to attract someone to Kaiser. The longer you work there, the more benefits you get. It just wasn't for me, though. I felt like I'd be going a fifth year of internal medicine residency. :cool:
  5. brc12

brc12

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I started working for Kaiser in northern california last month. Hospitalists start at 170k with outpatient docs starting at I believe 155k. This is for a 40 hour work week.
  6. bulldog

bulldog Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    thanks for responses. seems like if u were a workaholic and worked a standard 80 hr/wk like a resident or some cardiologists...u could pull in around 300k/year. however, does kaiser offer extra hours or would u have to moonlight at another hospital?
  7. drctaylor

drctaylor

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think they do production based incentives on top of the base. So, yes, I suppose you could easily rake it in if you're able to work more than the 40 hour work week. Maybe brc12 can clear that up for you, as I've interviewed at a few places and I may very well be getting them confused!
  8. drctaylor

drctaylor

Resident [Any Field]
    I also wanted to mention that I interviewed at Kaiser in Southern California. In general it seems that pay in Northern Cal is higher.
  9. brc12

brc12

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I haven't been at Kaiser long enough to really know how much extra I would be able to pull in by working extra shifts. The program I am at is fairly well staffed so I don't think there is a huge opportunity for extra shifts. I know some colleagues have pulled in quite a bit extra at hospitals where the staffing ratio isn't quite as good by working more shifts. Previously I had worked for a Sutter group, and with a base pay of 160k I was able to make about 195k or so between extra shifts and various bonuses/stipends.
    The "base" pay for Kaiser in northern california is higher than in southern CA, but comparing the 2 packages is very tricky. The workweek in LA is only 35 hours, and they pay a shift differential for weekends of 20% and for nights of 50% - nocturnists make a ton of money for kaiser in LA but most programs were already fully staffed with them when I interviewed down there recently. There is no shift differential in northern CA which is why hospitalists start at a slightly higher base pay than the outpatient internists.
  10. ThinkingIM

ThinkingIM

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Wow....so when you say "40 hour work week" do you really mean you are only working 40 hrs/week? Sorry, I realize how stupid that question sounds but I am kinda surprised. What is the call schedule like? Do you know if opportunities like this exist around the country? (I like to hear things like this b/c I am pretty sure I will be applying for IM residencies next year and would love it if I could have such a manageable schedule right out of residency).
  11. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD

SDN 5+ Year Member
    A typical hospitalist will make 10-15% more than an outpatient doc in the same market/healthcare system.
  12. brc12

brc12

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well, we have to do enough shifts in a month to average 40 hours of scheduled time per week. Hospitalists don't have regular schedules, so this usually consists of a week on/week off arrangement with a few night or evening shifts on the week off. I think if you are in outpatient medicine there can sometimes be a lot more paperwork you might have to do or phone calls to make at the end of the day which could push up your hours and you wouldn't necessarily be compensated for that. There are almost as many compensation schemes as there are medical groups. Schedules, workload, and compensation can be extremely variable between groups. I was making about 15% more at my prior job, but this included about 20% more hours and 50% more patient encounters which was starting to wear on me.
  13. ramonaquimby

ramonaquimby I'm a PGY3?! WHAT?!

SDN 5+ Year Member
  14. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    LOL ill bumb because your avatar is dancing:D.