How much improvement can I expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little over 3 months away from taking this exam, I have one block of pathology to go (endocrine and reproductive) and I just finished my first 4 hour practice test. My question is: how much can I reasonably expect to improve my score between now and the time that I take the test? Anyone willing to share the difference between their first practice test score and their final exam score?

Members don't see this ad.

Its kind of a hassle, but try going through the experiences thread for 2009. There you can find loads of good info and people's starting/ending scores.

I think one of the biggest jumps I saw was 185-253, which is a beast of a jump and more an exception than a rule. As far as the rule goes, I think a modest 30 point jump could be possible provided you just have to "review" and not re-learn anything.

Having said that, a 200 --> 230 can be achieved a bit quicker than 230-260, just due to sheer in-depth knowledge.

It really depends on so many variables that it is difficult to pinpoint on a random person.

If you work on your weakness and hammer down strategy then I do not see why a 40 point jump would be out of the question. Unless, of course, you start in the 220s, then you may not jump that far.