How much more do schools value sci-gpa over cum-gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmazz88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only reason why I ask is because I am in the process of a major post-bacc, in which most of my pre-reqs/sciences will be taken. My UG c-gpa is around a 2.6. After these pre-reqs (along with other courses to raise my c-gpa) are done i'm realistically looking at a .7-.8 differential in cum vs sci. Do you think this will be an issue for schools? Or will it look favorable in comparison to if it was reverse (high cum, low sci)? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very curious about this as well.

Like having a 3.4cGPA and a 3.7+sGPA are they going to weight the science GPA way more than the overall cumulative GPA.

From my experience, your sGPA is the more important of the two.

A lower GPA can be counteracted by a strong MCAT, and vice versa (to a lesser extent). Ultimately, i would suggest a minimum 21 MCAT with a strong GPA or a 2.9 GPA with a 24+ MCAT.

I'm very curious about this as well.

Like having a 3.4cGPA and a 3.7+sGPA are they going to weight the science GPA way more than the overall cumulative GPA.

Assuming you get at least the 21 MCAT, you will get accepted. If you get a 24+ MCAT, you will get major scholarships everywhere

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience, your sGPA is the more important of the two.

A lower GPA can be counteracted by a strong MCAT, and vice versa (to a lesser extent). Ultimately, i would suggest a minimum 21 MCAT with a strong GPA or a 2.9 GPA with a 24+ MCAT.

Assuming you get at least the 21 MCAT, you will get accepted. If you get a 24+ MCAT, you will get major scholarships everywhere

Thank you that's what I was curious about.

I'll have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.7+sGPA and probably a great MCAT if all goes well, was curious how to get those major scholarships like half tuition at Barry/NYCPM

The trend is and I suppose has been for all schools to "reward" the students who matriculated with higher than average GPA or MCAT scores thus it's helpful to have one or both however the one ingredient that seems to lack much real discussion here is what role in admissions does the quality of the undergrad institution have? I can only speak as to my case and a couple others that I have knowledge of and suggest that if you are a grad of a US News & World Report top rated college or university it DOES matter and I can further tell you in my own case it has helped me succeed in pod school.

I have heard mixed opinions regarding whether or not the status of your UG institution truly matters in this process. While many have suggested to take the pre-reqs at a CC to save money, I have elected to take them at University level just in case. If my cum-gpa were higher then maybe I would have went the CC route. Just playing it safe.