How much of a disadvantage am I at for not working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P3 now and I've searched forever for a job. I've had 4 interviews so far, have gone in stores and asked for jobs and called every pharmacy I could possibly think of. I even have three intern licenses for three different states, though that hasn't helped at all. Although I will still be looking for a job, I just want to be realistic and know how much of a disadvantage not having a job will put me in, especially considering I want to do residency. I have experience as a first responder, currently work on campus and am an officer for a few organizations and am also active in a professional pharmacy organization. I also just got into the PharmD/MBA program, so I'm considering pursuing that as well. I'm considering even attempting to get my EMT license and do some clinical work there (I'm not sure if I will have time for that) but not being in a clinical/community setting makes me feel so far behind the rest of my classmates in knowing the general protocol of working in a pharmacy and the fact people are having a hard time finding a job is discouraging as well. My IPPE preceptor told me she never had a job at school as well as a grad intern who was there at the time, but everybody in my class has a job. Insight would be helpful. Maybe some encouragement too. lol :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You will likely be at a big disadvantage if you want to do a residency. If you just want to find a job, then yeah you will probably be able to. Flexibility is key to getting a job these days (or else have really good connections).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a P3 now and I've searched forever for a job. I've had 4 interviews so far, have gone in stores and asked for jobs and called every pharmacy I could possibly think of. I even have three intern licenses for three different states, though that hasn't helped at all. Although I will still be looking for a job, I just want to be realistic and know how much of a disadvantage not having a job will put me in, especially considering I want to do residency. I have experience as a first responder, currently work on campus and am an officer for a few organizations and am also active in a professional pharmacy organization. I also just got into the PharmD/MBA program, so I'm considering pursuing that as well. I'm considering even attempting to get my EMT license and do some clinical work there (I'm not sure if I will have time for that) but not being in a clinical/community setting makes me feel so far behind the rest of my classmates in knowing the general protocol of working in a pharmacy and the fact people are having a hard time finding a job is discouraging as well. My IPPE preceptor told me she never had a job at school as well as a grad intern who was there at the time, but everybody in my class has a job. Insight would be helpful. Maybe some encouragement too. lol :confused:

Not having a job while in school definitely puts you at a disadvantage after graduation when it comes time to looking for jobs. I know you are asking about residency, but let me tell you, I know first hand that not working is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Take it from me: I graduated from pharmacy school in May and have been licensed since August. I never worked in my 4 years of school simply because I wanted to have time off for myself after dedicating myself to school. I DID work in a retail chain before I was accepted into pharmacy school for about six months. Nothing while in school. While in school, I focused on learning, IPPEs, APPEs, and leisure time. And here I am four months after licensure: I haven't found a job yet anywhere in my state, including rural areas. Sure, I finally had an interview with CVS two days ago and have another one scheduled for this Monday, but this is after four months since obtaining my license. All of my friends and acquaintances who worked while in school have been employed as full-time pharmacists since August. Experience matters. You still have time to find a job while in school. Even if you work for 10 hours a week it's better than nothing.

Yes, I am also very picky and have been fighting to find a job in my location and have no desire to move to a rural area. But then again, as I said, I've also applied to rural areas and have not heard a clue. The odds are now appearing to shift in my favor as I have 2 interviews within days of each other in my desired location. Keep in mind, however, to get to this point, I've had to persevere, not quit, and keep pushing. But it's very difficult.

Don't make the same mistake. I damned myself and sold my soul by not working. Don't doom yourself. It's simple economics: A surplus of pharmacists, like any good or service, causes devaluation of that good or service and shifts the power from your hands to employers. Why should they hire someone inexperienced when they have a multitude of graduates who did work while in school and will not require training? I'll be able to get a job, but the point is, it's much more difficult without experience. This isn't 2007 or 2008: In those times, you could coast through pharmacy school, not work, and have 5 or 6 job offers before making it to your P4 year. Times have changed. A Pharm.D. and a license mean almost NOTHING without experience. Sadly, they may be missing out on some very talented people who are fast learners and could prove to be valuable asset to the company, but this is the way of the world. And these days, you must play by their rules. For more information, read the thread I created titled "Finally have an interview....". Good luck.

I recommend volunteering at your local hospital pharmacy. I was able to find a job at a hospital where I used to volunteer. Stay persistent & stay positive!

This isn't my choice, though. I CAN'T find an intern job. I've tried everywhere and still am. I don't know what to do. I really want to do residency, but it's a bit frustrating to know that my chances are low when these things aren't in my control. I can't even count on my fingers the numbers of stores I have personally gone to, the calls I have made, the interviews, the follow-ups...I'm working hard to simply find a job for the past two years. What can I do in this situation besides keep looking?

do you have any pharmacists contacts?

pharmacy is a small world.....maybe a former preceptor knows someone who owns an indie and can use wkend help

i was able to find my job during schooling from a preceptor.....just kick ass for my rotation, ask if he is looking for any help, and i was hired after finishing the rotation.....

but to randomly try and get hired at a pharmacy is pretty tough.....

i had about 50 students email or bring in their resume but i just didnt have the hours at that time to hire them

good luck......because during interviews my 4th yr, they all loved the fact i had experience while still going to school

The key to getting a job is availability.

do you have any pharmacists contacts?

pharmacy is a small world.....maybe a former preceptor knows someone who owns an indie and can use wkend help

i was able to find my job during schooling from a preceptor.....just kick ass for my rotation, ask if he is looking for any help, and i was hired after finishing the rotation.....

but to randomly try and get hired at a pharmacy is pretty tough.....

i had about 50 students email or bring in their resume but i just didnt have the hours at that time to hire them

good luck......because during interviews my 4th yr, they all loved the fact i had experience while still going to school

I did talk to two of my preceptors and asked them for advice as well as if they know of how I can get in touch with managers who work in w/i the same company (target) or hospital as them. They gave advice really, but weren't able to help out with the actual job finding. In fact, the hospital I did my IPPE in had a PharmTech position via online (they don't hire "interns" specifically) and I noticed they withdrew my app. Kind of discouraged. I was about to talk to my preceptor, but earlier in his e-mail he said cold-calling managers is not a preferable idea...Also, I can never call the hospital pharmacy managers-everytime I did continuously directed me to HR who only told me about the job availability. In the community setting, getting in touch via phone is easier, but the community setting largely depends on on the district manager ( a store may have an opening-but I can't get the job unless the district managers interview me and claim there is availability for an intern to work given my graduation class). I've tried the only independent I know in town and they also hired already. Dunno man. I will try the volunteering-especially in an am care setting if possible bc that sounds close to what I'd like to do in pharmacy :)

I did talk to two of my preceptors and asked them for advice as well as if they know of how I can get in touch with managers who work in w/i the same company (target) or hospital as them. They gave advice really, but weren't able to help out with the actual job finding. In fact, the hospital I did my IPPE in had a PharmTech position via online (they don't hire "interns" specifically) and I noticed they withdrew my app. Kind of discouraged. I was about to talk to my preceptor, but earlier in his e-mail he said cold-calling managers is not a preferable idea...Also, I can never call the hospital pharmacy managers-everytime I did continuously directed me to HR who only told me about the job availability. In the community setting, getting in touch via phone is easier, but the community setting largely depends on on the district manager ( a store may have an opening-but I can't get the job unless the district managers interview me and claim there is availability for an intern to work given my graduation class). I've tried the only independent I know in town and they also hired already. Dunno man. I will try the volunteering-especially in an am care setting if possible bc that sounds close to what I'd like to do in pharmacy :)

You might have some luck volunteering at the independent. Does the independent pharmacy have any special services you might be able to learn as a volunteer? Like compounding? That might be a way to get some experience and increase your skills. Good luck!