How much of step 1 is covered 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samtheman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
% wise? Ty

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your school's curriculum. At mine I'd say about 40%. Our curriculum wasn't typical though - we had pharmacology 1st year and anatomy 2nd year among other unusual things.

Some of my classmates neglected MS1 material, hearing that it wouldn't be important on Step I, and regretted that decision.

From the above posts, you can see that this will largely depend on what is taught during the first year at an individual school. The 3 P's make up most of step 1 (pathology, pharmacology, & physiology).

Keep in mind that you may be using other less tested material to indirectly answer questions (i.e. a primarily pathology related question could describe something anatomically or biochemically, and while this information isn't directly pertinent to the question or the answer, understanding of basic concepts may be necessary to choose the correct response).

% wise? Ty

Depends on the type of curriculum the school has. If it's systems-based, and you cover the cardio,neuro, respiratory and renal during the first year, you have covered a large percentage of Step I.

If the school has a classical subject-based curriculum, then not as much of the most representative subject-matter is covered. With PBL, it is even more variable in terms of how much your will get done. If you go to Duke, you will have 90% of the material for Step I covered by the end of year 1.

I'll interject with a related question: Is there an advantage to condensed (typically 18-month) curricula when taking Step I, given that you have the clinical year in advance of the exam?

I'll interject with a related question: Is there an advantage to condensed (typically 18-month) curricula when taking Step I, given that you have the clinical year in advance of the exam?

I was under the impression that you take Step I immediately after the didactic portion of your school's curriculum. UVM, for example, uses a condensed systems-based approach where students take Step I during February of the second year and then begin clinical rotations. Do other schools have students complete rotations before taking Step I?

The data is still comining in on any advantage versus disadvantage of heading into clinicals without taking Step I. Duke started condensing the pre-clinical experience a couple of years ago and a few other schools have followed. Data in terms of what effects this will have is coming through now.

I was under the impression that you take Step I immediately after the didactic portion of your school's curriculum. UVM, for example, uses a condensed systems-based approach where students take Step I during February of the second year and then begin clinical rotations. Do other schools have students complete rotations before taking Step I?

Duke started this and a few other schools have followed along. Some school regardless of condensed pre-clinical science or not, require a pass on Step I before entering the clinical years. Others require a pass on Step I within a pre-determined amount of time. I believe all schools require a pass on Step I before graduation though in the early 2000s some schools didn't require Step I even for graduation.

My school required a pass on Step I before entering the clinical year and a pass on Step II before graduation. Again, the timing of these tests is variable like the requirements from school to school.

In terms of advantages/disadvantages, I am sure that the literature and experiencs are out there or will be there soon.

Slightly lateral but I took Step 1 after having done 2 years of clinical medicine (our clinical course is 3 years in the UK) and I found that helped immeasurably with the questions being formed round a clinical scenario and I have no doubt that I wouldn't have done half as well if I had taken it straight after my pre-clinical course. I understand that the US curriculum would be more geared towards taking the USMLEs but I still find it staggering how well everybody does in Step 1 with limited clinical experience.

Jonathan