How much per bed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was the point I was trying to make about being marginalized into role of med management. If that is the only thing a psychiatrist does, why not hire a mid-level to do the same thing which is the argument that I have already seen two companies make.
Which companies?

Members don't see this ad.

$3000 is way too little for 15 patients. Basically you are doing two jobs. Rounding on 15 patients in 3 hours is MAYBE feasible, but we all know doing admits and discharges is where the time is consumed (i.e. you need at least a 30 min interview for admits, right?) Daily turnover for 15 patient census is at least 1-3, and can be 3-5 if not higher.

Btw, you'll kill yourself if you think you can do a full time outpatient job and then work in your 15 patients after hours...

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 22 patients on our psych unit at the moment. One patient has been there for 192 days. Another has been there for 14 days. The other 20? They've been there for fewer than 6 days (144 hours). And we're a not-for-profit hospital with a pretty typical payer mix, hardly trying to move meat out the door as fast as possible.

If you have 15 patients on a "typical" high-acuity inpatient psych unit you can bet on doing 3+ admits and discharges every day. Especially if the weekend coverage is just letting them marinate until Monday. That's not because you're churning and burning, that's just the nature of the beast.

It is possible. Reach out to surrounding osteopathic schools, and create a psychiatry rotation for them (psych is something they always struggle to find). Then have them round on your patients and do notes. This was my experience as a DO, and it was at a small middle of no where hospital that could only attract locums. I was expected to do notes on 10-12 patients each day and the attending told me to leave the notes at end of the day and he signed them the next. I'm not sure when he saw his patients.