How much research experience is possible during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnn16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are opportunities during 3rd and 4th year, but is it possible (or wise) to get some research time during the pre-clinical years? i know for the first few months medical school is supposed to be pretty overwhelming, but after one has developed their own study pattern could it be done?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that quite a few people do research during the summer after 1st year.

Reactions: 1 user
There were people that were doing research by winter break in my class. That was definitely an exception though. As mentioned above, most people really get into research the summer after M1. Beyond that, there are typically opportunities to get involved if you want to, though clinical projects are typically much easier to do than wet lab projects. It's hard to do lab work during the school year because of the time involved, but it's certainly possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There were people that were doing research by winter break in my class. That was definitely an exception though. As mentioned above, most people really get into research the summer after M1. Beyond that, there are typically opportunities to get involved if you want to, though clinical projects are typically much easier to do than wet lab projects. It's hard to do lab work during the school year because of the time involved, but it's certainly possible.

In a similar vein, how much research to med students typically do? How much is recommended for competitive residencies? I know you go to UChicago where students likely do more than average.

I know there are opportunities during 3rd and 4th year, but is it possible (or wise) to get some research time during the pre-clinical years? i know for the first few months medical school is supposed to be pretty overwhelming, but after one has developed their own study pattern could it be done?
For what it's worth (I'm not a medical student yet), I've heard that the large majority of students do not get involved in research until the summer after M1. That being said, I do know of students who reach out to faculty during the summer before/first week of medical school and get involved right away. But as @NickNaylor said, most of that is clinical research; doing bench research requires more time in a day/week than medical students typically have. This also depends on the way that the curriculum is structured, though. Some schools have all lectures/group work end by 1pm, so that you have the next 10ish hours to do whatever you please. This will of course include studying, but if your time management skills are good, then it would also be possible to fit in some bench work every day. So if that's the sort of thing you're thinking about, start asking medical students at relevant institutions for their daily/weekly schedules to see how feasible your intent is.

I guess this is a good place to ask a follow up. Has anyone had any experience with continuing research in med school that they started previously?

In a similar vein, how much research to med students typically do? How much is recommended for competitive residencies? I know you go to UChicago where students likely do more than average.

My school has a required longitudinal research project, so it's certainly possible to fit research in. How much you want to put in is an individual choice. Some people have a hand in multiple projects, many people take a year off for research, some just do a smaller project. Some do clinical, some do bench, some do translational, some do medical education research.

Like it has been said, most people do research the summer after MS1. Many people work in a lab or contribute to a project during MS2, but that's not required or super common from what I've noticed. Super eager people start working in a lab during MS1, since you have to shop around for labs anyway for the summer. And then most (almost all?) of us here will take at least one research month elective during MS3/MS4.

As for competitive residencies, it depends. We recently had a talk from a neurosurgeon who said that they don't consider anyone without at least one pub in neurosurg. Not sure what the deal is for other specialties or other programs, but if you want a competitive specialty, especially at a top program in the field, you should probably aim for at least one publication in that field.

My school has a required longitudinal research project, so it's certainly possible to fit research in. How much you want to put in is an individual choice. Some people have a hand in multiple projects, many people take a year off for research, some just do a smaller project. Some do clinical, some do bench, some do translational, some do medical education research.

Like it has been said, most people do research the summer after MS1. Many people work in a lab or contribute to a project during MS2, but that's not required or super common from what I've noticed. Super eager people start working in a lab during MS1, since you have to shop around for labs anyway for the summer. And then most (almost all?) of us here will take at least one research month elective during MS3/MS4.

As for competitive residencies, it depends. We recently had a talk from a neurosurgeon who said that they don't consider anyone without at least one pub in neurosurg. Not sure what the deal is for other specialties or other programs, but if you want a competitive specialty, especially at a top program in the field, you should probably aim for at least one publication in that field.

Thanks for the answer. I know Pitt is a research powerhouse so I expect more from their students (fingers crossed for an acceptance!). Would you say 1 summer after MS-1 with publication is "enough" to be competitive at top residencies? Obviously NeuroSurg is an extremely competitive specialty, but what about perhaps gen surgery (still competitive but not as much)?

I know my questions are a bit specific but I am just trying to gauge what I should aim for when med school starts.

Thanks for the answer. I know Pitt is a research powerhouse so I expect more from their students (fingers crossed for an acceptance!). Would you say 1 summer after MS-1 with publication is "enough" to be competitive at top residencies? Obviously NeuroSurg is an extremely competitive specialty, but what about perhaps gen surgery (still competitive but not as much)?

I know my questions are a bit specific but I am just trying to gauge what I should aim for when med school starts.

You don't get much done in a summer, and few people get a pub out of their summer work. I honestly don't know if 1 summer of research is "enough" because that's not what I'm familiar with.

When med school starts, research should be on the back burner for the first couple of months until you get adjusted. The general recommendation here is to start looking for a lab around November if you want to do research over the summer. And if you end up liking your lab and they're pretty flexible with how much time you put in during the school year, you can even consider continuing into 2nd year or doing a research month.

You don't get much done in a summer, and few people get a pub out of their summer work. I honestly don't know if 1 summer of research is "enough" because that's not what I'm familiar with.

When med school starts, research should be on the back burner for the first couple of months until you get adjusted. The general recommendation here is to start looking for a lab around November if you want to do research over the summer. And if you end up liking your lab and they're pretty flexible with how much time you put in during the school year, you can even consider continuing into 2nd year or doing a research month.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!