how much say do attendings have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm OK at networking. Over the course of my premed activities I've gotten to know a few attendings. Some I've met in social settings like at parties or bars, others I've met at conferences. On more than one occasion they've given me their cards and suggested I apply to their affiliated medical schools, suggesting I'd have an inside track.

How much influence do these folks have in the admissions game? Any benefit to sending out some emails when I get around to applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Not much unless they're on the adcom or you happen to interview with one that you already know (which is kind of unethical anyway). Maybe if you get a LOR from one affiliated with a medical school it might help.....but it certainly won't make or break your app.

I'm OK at networking. Over the course of my premed activities I've gotten to know a few attendings. Some I've met in social settings like at parties or bars, others I've met at conferences. On more than one occasion they've given me their cards and suggested I apply to their affiliated medical schools, suggesting I'd have an inside track.

How much influence do these folks have in the admissions game? Any benefit to sending out some emails when I get around to applying?
As far as how much influence, I am sure that is highly variable. If I were you, what I would do is get an LOR from each attending you know affiliated with a med school you are interested in, and assign that LOR to that specific school. The "name dropping" will be there in the form of the LOR, which may or may not get you an inside track, but the LOR doesn't make it look like you are explicitly and desperately trying to use someone you know to get into the school. You also will give the physician you know the chance to talk to a friend he may have on the admissions committee without going to him and saying "so, you said you could give me an "in" to this school..." Win-win as far as I am concerned.