How much should I ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peace4all

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good number to ask for a full time CP only job in a rural university hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

They are desperate. The previous pathologist has moved and they have no one for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are desperate. The previous pathologist has moved and they have no one for now.

Will you be employed or are you contracting? Will this be your only job? Are you in a state where professional component billing is popular? If they do a fair number of laboroatory tests, you could ask to bill your professional component and probably make a decent living with a smaller negotiated part A pass through.

there are too many details unknown:
1.) is this your only source of income?
2.) what was the arrangement with the prior guy?

The prior guy could have been getting some paltry 2-3K per month sum to just baby sit the lab, in which case run. Or he could have been an employee with full benefits and a pension.

I would personally shoot the moon if this is all you got on the burners. Would try for 300K.

Absolutely agree with LADoc00. 300k a reasonable start and then argue and sheepishly accept 225k and let em know you are taking a hit.

Thanks all! So it wasnt a all CP job (although advertised as such, but changed plan along the course) and I discovered that during interviewing. Its Surg with CP. (Transitioning the current practice of sending out surgicals to bringing them in-house).

Not bad, so did you apply or are you CP only?

Yes. I went for the interview. I am ap/cp. They will get back in 2 weeks.

Well...what was their cash offer?

Similar to what you mentioned above.

300?! and you are merely doing a few surgicals a day with CP duties at a small rural academic center? A low cost of living rural area?? Pension/defined benefits plan from a university too?

And there is no one else but you?

Seriously, if that it is case you must have done something very very good in a former life. Enjoy and keep a low profile from your remote coworkers.

I really hope you get it.

Thanks for the tip LADoc! Will update, if it goes through!