How much time did your school give you to study for Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neutrophilomfs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. The last thread on this topic is over 6 years old so I'm interested in updated opinions.

This summer our admins have given us an entire 4 days to use to study for Part 1 boards. (They even tried to explain they were being generous because they were originally going to only give us 2 days....) And the real kicker is that 1 of those 4 days must be used to take the actual exam, so we really only get 3. Our class is pretty pissed off about it because, like other schools, we have patients and other classes to worry about. Also, in years past, students had 2 full weeks off. I'm just curious to what other schools are doing for their students.

Members don't see this ad.

wow that sucks...we get 4 weeks, but when I take it next year it'll be P/F anyway

Maryland takes Part I during the summer between Year 1 and Year 2. So we basically had from May 20th to August 6th or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
At IUSD, we have 1 week between the end of D2 and the start of clinics. But, I think, we only need 50% clinic attendance during that first summer after D2 so you can either take your time studying for boards or be up in clinic more. About 50% of the class takes Part I during winter break of D2 though.

SB usually has off from around July 20 to August 25 (give or take a few days) between 2nd and 3rd years. Also, May has Fridays off, June has only a couple classes with Fridays off, and July has only clinic with Mondays and Fridays off.

Plenty of time.