How much time in between Prep Course and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettyNURSEtoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used a search engine, but I couldn't find anything really.
I am scheduled to take MCAT August 15th at 8AM.
I am torn between two dates to register for this Kaplan pre course.

June 4- Aug 11
or
June 15-July 29

How much time is actually needed after completing the course to be most successful?
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say at least a month minimum, to consolidate your gains and make sure you squeezed all the juice you can out of your prep course and materials, before taking the real thing!

Reactions: 1 user
I taught Kaplan classes for almost a decade, so it's with a lot of first-hand experience that I can authoritatively offer the following:

It depends.

:p

No but really it depends a lot on your situation. If you're working hard during your prep, and doing WAY more than the required homework and getting stuff done ahead of time, you can take your MCAT in a matter of days after the prep course "finishes".

If you're more of a normal student that works hard, keeps up with the class, and gets stuff done on time, then you'll want more like 3-5 weeks after the course is over.

If you're going to be taking a prep class while also in school or working (even PT), then I 100% guarantee that you'll need a big chunk of time after the course to get ready (more like 4-8 weeks).

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just went through this, and I believe you should take at least a month after the class purely for practice exams. Kaplan will teach you the content, but you need to take as many tests as possible to simulate the actual exam. Everyone studies differently, but that is what worked for me.

Last edited: