How much to pharmacists ACTUALLY help people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlee510

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*do*

Sounds like a dumb question at first, but when I think about how much hate prescription drugs and the pharmaceutical industries get, it makes feel like I am not giving as much value to society as I'd like by choosing pharmacy as a profession. A lot of these drugs have a seemingly endless list of side effects. People commonly abuse painkillers and the pills that affect that mind. More people die from prescription drugs than illegal drugs. Pharmaceutical drugs also get blamed so much when people talk about negative things in the world. I hear things like "just like how the common medical approach is to just give people pills...our culture makes people look for quick fixes rather than find the real solution blah blah...etc etc"

Can somebody convince me I am wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well what's the real solution for Type I diabetes? There are plenty of examples such as this where a drug is 100% necessary.

On the contrary the huge volume of OTC meds/birth control/etc. can often make you feel like a vending machine.

As a pharmacist the goal is to obviously help patients, but at the same time you cannot look for job satisfaction through the patients that you interact with because most of them care about two things 1) Price 2) Wait time

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lol people care too much about what other people think.

You will never be happy if your happiness depends on other people's perception.

That being said, I think specialty pharmacy is a good place to work if you care about those stuff. A lot of drugs they make are necessary for patients to survive.

Members don't see this ad :)
*do*

Sounds like a dumb question at first, but when I think about how much hate prescription drugs and the pharmaceutical industries get, it makes feel like I am not giving as much value to society as I'd like by choosing pharmacy as a profession. A lot of these drugs have a seemingly endless list of side effects. People commonly abuse painkillers and the pills that affect that mind. More people die from prescription drugs than illegal drugs. Pharmaceutical drugs also get blamed so much when people talk about negative things in the world. I hear things like "just like how the common medical approach is to just give people pills...our culture makes people look for quick fixes rather than find the real solution blah blah...etc etc"

Well what's the real solution for Type I diabetes? There are plenty of examples such as this where a drug is 100% necessary.

This.

You're not wrong. People want magic bullets. People take atorvastatin and think it means they can eat what they want. People take ambien to induce sleep without paying attention to the stressors in their lives that give them insomnia. Pharmacists don't encourage preventive care and lifestyle modification as much as we should. This is all true. However, we live in a society that wants quick fixes, especially in the Information Age, where everything is within arm's reach. We live in a society that operates on the bottom line. Culture and human nature is as much to blame as the industry itself.

Regardless...

What about the Type I diabetic who relies on insulin shots to stay alive?
What about the psoriatic arthritis patient who cannot function without otezla due to the pain induced by autoimmune reactions?
What about the cancer patient who would have died without methotrexate and tacrolimus to avoid transplant rejection?
What about the hepatitis C patient who would not be cured without Sovaldi or Harvoni?
What about the HIV patient who limits the progression of the infection with Stribild?

I can keep going, but I think you get the picture. It's important you keep a balanced perspective. Anyone who paints you a one-sided portrait of the pharmaceutical industry is not paying attention.

Last edited:
Lol people care too much about what other people think.

You will never be happy if your happiness depends on other people's perception.

That being said, I think specialty pharmacy is a good place to work if you care about those stuff. A lot of drugs they make are necessary for patients to survive.

The reason I made this post is because I actually agree with what people are saying. They are not wrong and their statements are based on factual information. I have had many friends and acquaintances that get their hands on some Adderall, Xanax, or some Oxycodone sometimes easier than weed. I have abused pharmaceutical drugs myself in the past, which have also influenced my view. This is why I wanted someone feedback by people involved in pharmacy that are more knowledgeable than me. I wanted arguments from the other side as well.

I think pharmacy is what you want it to be. There are a lot of pharmacists and chains that only focus on dispensing and it makes the profession essentially a no-brainer (and imo, quite a dissatisfying) job. It basically reduces your career to endless hours of dispensing, handling customers, rebilling and handling third-party insurance companies. I've met and have heard about some pharmacists who absolutely hate their jobs.

On the other hand, I also know pharmacists that truly see value in pharmacy and strive to provide better patient care through active listening and providing paid clinical services (med reviews, adaptations, chronic care mgmt and so on). For the majority patients, pharmacy is a dispensary; but for a handful (but still significant) portion of the people you see, pharmacies are their main source of health information and they have been consistently going to see a specific pharmacist for decades. I've also had quite a couple of times where my pharmacy had to phone the doctor to inform them about medications that the patient is on contraindicates with their recent prescription or that a dose of a drug is not available - and we'll problem solve the issue together. At the end of the day, if you chose and are willing to pursue this career path, there's a lot of things you can do for your patients if you're willing to go that extra mile.

Think of what life would be like with no medications at all and then realize you would probably be dead by now.

As for the opiates and all that, very little of that is the pharmacist's fault. You may want to look at prescribing practices or into your friends and family's problems and get them help.

We have a thankless job, we only get noticed if something goes wrong. Gonna have to learn to deal with the haters.

It's not a glamorous career, and thankless for sure. I still manage to make an intervention that could save a life on a daily basis. That's good enough for me.

The reason I made this post is because I actually agree with what people are saying. They are not wrong and their statements are based on factual information. I have abused pharmaceutical drugs myself in the past, which have also influenced my view. This is why I wanted someone feedback by people involved in pharmacy that are more knowledgeable than me. I wanted arguments from the other side as well.

Good for you for being a little more aware of things. You will find as you get further through your journey should you continue on this path, that folks will be less and less open about what really compels them and about the value of "being in things together". That was my experience anyway. The guys who wear ties to school everyday. Have to be involved in all the extra-curricular stuff, and not only that, involve themselves in being actual decision makers in set positions. On and on. At the end of the day, you should do exactly what you want to do with your life, but getting the feedback from other people on the same journey, or like me, involved in the results of my journey is a good idea. Feedback informs. Information leads to decisions. Decisions to action. The action I took was brave in my case; I chose not to be like everyone else in what that meant to me while I was in pharmacy school, and to focus on the things that matter to me always. I find that if I do that, it doesn't matter what job I'm doing. Its the FarmerD show, and that propels me and makes me feel my most useful to society and energetic.

As much or as little as you want to. I work retail in a semi-remote area with a lot of summer tourist traffic. A couple of weeks ago I had a tourist by who needed a 60 cc syringe for a plasma injection, on a Saturday morning. None of our rinky dink hospitals have outpatient pharmacies and the one pharmacy that does compounding closed in an hour. I called them, verified that they had and would sell her the syringe, printed her a map, gave her their phone number, and gave her the name of the person I had contacted at the pharmacy. I could have just said I didn't sell 60 cc syringes and made it not my problem, but I chose not to. And, I was busy at the time, so it wasn't like I was just killing time.

^^
Example of a good pharmacist.
How much a pharmacist helps others really depends on how much the pharmacist wants to help others. If the pharmacist just fills, does some counseling, and does the average, expected workload, that's fine. Others go above and beyond to help others.

I remember having a patient whose insurance coverage changed but didn't have her new insurance info which was supposed to be mailed in. I called the old insurance and I was dragged around, eventually connected with her plan on the phone, got the info, inputted into computer, and tada her copay went down. She was patient to wait and I gave her the info told her to hold onto to it. Also asked insurance company to send a new insurance card. I asked the tech (I was floating) what the regular would've done, said would've just said nope...sorry pay the full price. All depends I guess.

I also (and probably shouldn't) leave the pharmacy and go and show customers where certain OTC items (they ask a lot) and the places I work at are very low volume. They're very appreciative of that gesture and really get a lot of positive response. I have techs in the pharmacy so it's not complete unattended...but...guess I'd run into trouble there. Some/most would let them fend and search for themselves.

It can be thankless as well. Your experience will vary as people you serve vary. Your role is ultimately dispensing so you're not saving lives or performing life-altering, beneficial procedures. In the grand scheme of things, I'd say the significance of our role and duties we perform, not totally important, pretty replaceable and not really helping people or changing their lives. It's like being a waiter, serve, serve well, ask if everything okay, as helpful as you want to be.

I think it mostly depends on the customer. Some just want to go in-and-out. Some require extra help. Just depends.

Is this a legit question? Seriously? You need to do more research before applying. Like maybe shadow a pharmacist. I have no doubt in my mind that I help people everyday as a pharmacist.

*do*

If you are interested in the pharmacy field and you are asking the question "how much do pharmacist actually help people", I suggest you get a job in the field to learn the multitude roles of a pharmacist before you continue on with your journey, and you will learn how important it is to have a pharmacist in the community. Pharmacists are the core of health care and patient well being, of course there are side effects to everything, but when you have a sickness, the medication side affects are greater then what the person is going through. Some patients are prescribed multiple medications because they believe that the effect of those two drugs working together are greater then the individual effects; and this is called a synergistic effect.

There will always be so much debate about money in this world, pertaining to any field, however, we still need passionate and positive people who are knowledgable in the field to help others as much as they can. Regarding the "quick fix" comment, most often, it does seem that patients are prescribed medications to combat things in life such as disease, depression, anxiety, etc. However, that is not a pharmacist doing, that is what the doctor is ordering for the patient, and the Pharmacist is dispensing the medication while making sure that these medications cannot be harmful with anything else that the patient may be taking. The doctor most likely does not discuss the medication with the patient in detail, it is the pharmacist who answers those questions, and ultimately, it is up to the patient on whether or not they want to take the medication. They can come up with this conclusion with their community pharmacist, and a pharmacist could also recommend non-prescription alternatives if they believe medications can be avoided. Medications are not always a bad thing as you are making them seem. If a patient has cancer, there is not a way to "find a real solution" as you stated, medications and treatments will be needed to hopefully beat the cancer, or possibly buy more time for the patient to spend their last moments with their friends and/or family.

As for the never ending talk about drug companies, the only people that know the numbers of that business are those in the industry. However, I do know that it takes 10-12 years for a drug to go through a research lab for the FDA to approve it. Where do you think this money comes from? I assume that there is a lot of money being spent throughout the long course of 10-12 years not only on research material, but also paying the highly qualified researchers. This is a factor in the reason drug prices are so high, because I don't think people understand that it takes a decade for a drug to be released into the market, and a lot of money is spent during this time. Aside from their expenses, the industry also needs to be profiting money themselves. Another factor that may contribute to medication prices being so high is the limited resources available at a particular point in time, when resources are scarce to make a medication; just like with anything else, the prices will increase.

Regarding pain medication, I believe it is absolutely abused, but that is not an issue of the Pharmacist. A pharmacist has the right to deny filling a controlled substance pain medication to their own discretion, and that can make it more difficult for others to obtain. However, this issue can not be solved by pharmacies being adament to not fill pain medication; in cases where there don't consider it needed, it's the doctors who are making prescriptions easier to obtain. My slight input on this is that if there were more doctors to attend to patients in the office, then there wouldn't be a need to rush the patient out of the room, while doing the only thing that seemingly makes sense, which is to prescribe them medication. This also may connect onto there being too many people on welfare, and not enough money to support the system, but I will stop here since this conversation can be endless.

Norco has recently become a schedule 2 medication, meaning that patients are no longer allowed to have refills, and they must obtain a new prescription from the doctor each month. Other medications that were not controlled substances before, have recently been placed in the control substance category. The government keeps close tabs on pain medications that doctors are prescribing and how often the doctor is prescribing them. Legally, with a control substance there is supposed to be a diagnosis code that the doctor provides to tell the pharmacist and insurance company why the patient needs the medication. I truly do not believe that pain medication will stop being abused even with the recent regulations, and I do believe doctors will continue to prescribe them. Being a pharmacist is not all about dispensing pain medications to patients so they can over dose and die, there are far more ill patients out there who need their medications in order to live a better life. The human body is unpredictable, things can change in matter of seconds, and to have drugs that act as inhibitors to block a synthesis of some type from occurring in the problematic area could save a life. (that was just one example)

You will not find answers on the internet as to whether a profession is "valuable to society" unless one has worked in the setting for a long period of time, in order to understand the ins and outs of the field. You are really jumping ahead of your self with your assumptions, and you are not figuring out ways to actively contribute to society by searching for answers about a serious professional field on google. If pharmacy has crossed your mind as an interest, I suggest you get a job in the field and find out for yourself how much this profession contributes positively to society, before you begin to make irrational assumptions. As harsh as my comment may sound, the world will not spoon feed you information such as this, if you have developed a desire for something, then you need to figure out a way to become involved in it. I have seen way too many pharmacists who have walked into a pharmacy setting with the intention of only checking prescriptions through until it's time for them to go home, and dismissing all of the other duties a pharmacist is supposed to carry on. Any profession can involve professionals who don't contribute value to society, if they don't care about the people they are helping. It is solely up to the intention of an individual to make themselves a "valuable" asset to society, it is not the profession that will determine that for you.

My intention here was not to shut down any dreams of you wanting to pursue pharmacy as a career. But I do believe that if someone has a dream, it is their responsibility to become active before they decide to enter a program, so that they can asses whether or not they believe they can contribute to the profession in a positive way. Another piece of advice is, try to be open minded to possibilities, before automatically assuming the worst of things, you will find yourself being much more productive.

I normally do not provide such an extensive input, but your post struck me with a feeling of it being necessary to provide realistic feedback.

Good luck in the path you choose.

Last edited:
As much or as little as you want to. I work retail in a semi-remote area with a lot of summer tourist traffic. A couple of weeks ago I had a tourist by who needed a 60 cc syringe for a plasma injection, on a Saturday morning. None of our rinky dink hospitals have outpatient pharmacies and the one pharmacy that does compounding closed in an hour. I called them, verified that they had and would sell her the syringe, printed her a map, gave her their phone number, and gave her the name of the person I had contacted at the pharmacy. I could have just said I didn't sell 60 cc syringes and made it not my problem, but I chose not to. And, I was busy at the time, so it wasn't like I was just killing time.

Last edited: