How Much to Read Before Contacting PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So I have been looking into undergrad research for quite a while now. However, I don't know how much I should read into PIs' publications or how well versed I must me in their research. I mean last winter break, I went through 2 articles by a PI and committed to being pretty well-versed in his research. However, I emailed him and never got a reply back. That commitment was pretty draining as I spent a lot of time doing more outside research just to understand his research. As a result, I wasn't able to look into other research and ideally send out multiple emails to PIs. So I'm wondering, how did you guys approach applying for research? Am I doing it all wrong? I mean, I want to show the PIs that I'm really committed and know what I'm talking about. However, seeing my peers who half-ass things makes me wonder how they got into research before I have. I just like being purposeful and committed, but now I'm feeling kind of discouraged. :( Please help me out y'all! I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

So I have been looking into undergrad research for quite a while now. However, I don't know how much I should read into PIs' publications or how well versed I must me in their research. I mean last winter break, I went through 2 articles by a PI and committed to being pretty well-versed in his research. However, I emailed him and never got a reply back. That commitment was pretty draining as I spent a lot of time doing more outside research just to understand his research. As a result, I wasn't able to look into other research and ideally send out multiple emails to PIs. So I'm wondering, how did you guys approach applying for research? Am I doing it all wrong? I mean, I want to show the PIs that I'm really committed and know what I'm talking about. However, seeing my peers who half-ass things makes me wonder how they got into research before I have. I just like being purposeful and committed, but now I'm feeling kind of discouraged. :( Please help me out y'all! I'd appreciate all the help I can get!
At my school there was a department that set students up for research positions. I learned of my research position from one of the clubs I was in. So it's important to join pre-med clubs and network because you never know what you hear by word of mouth.

Usually reading the abstracts of their last 3-5 papers is sufficient. You don't have to be an expert by any means - just show interest and get the general gist of the types of projects going on in the lab. Sometimes it will take contacting 3-6 PIs before you get a response. Keep your head up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my school there was a department that set students up for research positions. I learned of my research position from one of the clubs I was in. So it's important to join pre-med clubs and network because you never know what you hear by word of mouth.

Oh, heavens...

Oh, heavens...
I mean that's how I found out about a lot of volunteering, and research opportunities. Being in the club doesn't really matter, but the people in them know of different opportunities that can improve your application. It was also my wake-up call during one of the meetings when they brought in the pre-med director and he said "you don't need to be perfect, if you have a 3.9, 3.8, or even 3.7 you'll be fine" as I stared down at my sub 3.0 gpa.

Depends a bit on how many papers they publish yearly/how many projects they have going on, but I'll agree with @eteshoe on the 3-5 number. Just be able to formulate some questions based on their research and have a conversational level of understanding and you'll be fine.

Hello all!

Read enough (latest abstract or two) and their website description of their lab and your cold email should include 2-3 sentences on why you are interested in their specific research topic (along with your past experience as well as how you may contribute positively to joining the team) When and if they contact you about meeting, THEN you read full papers. Don't read full papers before hearing back unless you're doing it for ****s and giggles. Often times you'll get no response back if you are contacting busy PIs, so save the time and frustration. This is not a half ass approach, this is the smart approach.

Oh, heavens...

Premed announcements are often a good source of research/service opportunities.

Hello all!

80+% of PI's won't respond. I would suggest checking prehealth announcements, or look for job listings for research assistants if you're looking for a straightforward entry for research. If you want to do it through contacting PI's, send a lot of emails. Figure out what their main topic is, and demonstrate that you have an academic interest in that subject. You don't even need to read or understand any of the papers. They know you're an undergrad student and probably know little about their area of expertise; what's more interesting for them is to know they might have a student that has a strong willingness to learn and do research in that field. Ask them in the email if you can chat with them and possibly talk about being a research assistant in the lab.

If you do get a reply, that means the lab is looking for an assistant and wants to check you out. That's the time to read up on some of the papers, so that when you speak with the PI or whomever, you can ask questions and demonstrate your interest further.