How much will taking Physiology help me on the current MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm registering for classes now, and I can either take a physiology course next year or senior year. I will be taking my MCAT November 7th, and I was wondering if taking the course will help me in any significant way. I don't know if this is true but I've heard that recent MCATs (2013-2014) have been moving away from physio and having more biochem related questions, a change the result of the new 2015 MCAT. So what do you guys think- is taking physio worth it next year or should I take another class (vertebrate evolutionary field studies) that I think will be a lot more fun?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm registering for classes now, and I can either take a physiology course next year or senior year. I will be taking my MCAT November 7th, and I was wondering if taking the course will help me in any significant way. I don't know if this is true but I've heard that recent MCATs (2013-2014) have been moving away from physio and having more biochem related questions, a change the result of the new 2015 MCAT. So what do you guys think- is taking physio worth it next year or should I take another class (vertebrate evolutionary field studies) that I think will be a lot more fun?
A great deal, however, physiology is the most self-teachable imo. So if you had a choice between a more challenging topic like molecular genetics or biochemistry, I would opt with the later in preference of teaching the physiology portion on my own. If that isn't an option, then by all means take physiology. It'll prove to be immensely helpful and save a considerable amount of study time.

It won't hurt, but the best way to prepare is to take practice MCAT tests. You can be really, really knowledgeable about the subjects but at the end of the day this is a test. Get really good at taking the test and you'll end up with a high score. Practice eliminating answers, and utilizing time as a resource. I found this to be much more important than reviewing physiology or memorizing equations and factoids.

Members don't see this ad :)
A great deal, however, physiology is the most self-teachable imo. So if you had a choice between a more challenging topic like molecular genetics or biochemistry, I would opt with the later in preference of teaching the physiology portion on my own. If that isn't an option, then by all means take physiology. It'll prove to be immensely helpful and save a considerable amount of study time.
I do have the option of taking upper division genetics or biochemistry as well, I just didn't think that these classes would be as useful on the MCAT because they probably cover alot of information that won't be on the test. I could use the time saved to study more high yield topics instead.

Biochemistry is the most useful class I have taken in preparing for the MCAT. It touches on a lot of gen chem/orgo concepts from classes I haven't taken recently, and it also applies them to biology situations, which is a big thing the MCAT is starting to do now as well.

Biochemistry is the most useful class I have taken in preparing for the MCAT. It touches on a lot of gen chem/orgo concepts from classes I haven't taken recently, and it also applies them to biology situations, which is a big thing the MCAT is starting to do now as well.
Yeah so I'm wondering whether or not biochem or physiology would be more useful Fall Quarter. Is there more biochem than physiology on the current MCAT?

Edit: I also have a rather low GPA so I was thinking of taking easier GE's etc to boost it up instead of classes like genetics and biochem (which are known to be very difficult in my school). I was planning on taking them senior year unless they are particularly useful for the MCAT