How much would I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idamaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 24 on a practice AAMC exam (7) (7,9,8). I haven't had any higher level Biologies and Chemistries such as Biochem, Organic, Physics and Microbiology so there were some passages I couldn't answer at all. I also have only prepared about 5 hours for it. I'm assuming I'd be able to increase my score by 3-5 after taking those courses plus however many points I can improve by preparing for the exam. Would it be too much to expect to ultimately fall in the low 30s?

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't studied for the exam, it would be advantageous to do so before using precious practice AAMC tests.

That is a very good baseline considering you haven't even taken o Chem or physics yet. I say a 30+ isn't out of the question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Content review can get you past 30 and familiarity with the test can take you past 35. 24 is a good baseline.

It's definitely not out of reach! It's all about how much you can learn from your mistakes, make the connections between different science topics, and apply what you know.
Although I think it's a bit too early to say what you're truly capable of on a test you haven't studied for and won't be taking for at least 5-6 months (I'm assuming you're taking the new test), a 3-5 point increase is absolutely not uncommon. So work hard!

Although I think it's a bit too early to say what you're truly capable of on a test you haven't studied for and won't be taking for at least 5-6 months (I'm assuming you're taking the new test), a 3-5 point increase is absolutely not uncommon. So work hard!
Only a 3-5 increase? Or did you mean 3-5 from just review/practice? Like I mentioned, I haven't taken Organic, Biochem, physics and so on.

Only a 3-5 increase? Or did you mean 3-5 from just review/practice? Like I mentioned, I haven't taken Organic, Biochem, physics and so on.

I think he may be talking about 3-5 point increase for someone who has already finished content review. Content review should give you a big boost and is the true baseline imo