How much would one have to donate to get an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the minimum one would have to donate in this day and age for it to sway an entire adcom to give the applicant an acceptance?

if donations are tax deductible, do you get the entire amount back no matter how much? I'm not too familiar with how taxes work.

Asking simply out of curiousity...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the minimum one would have to donate in this day and age for it to sway an entire adcom to give the applicant an acceptance?

Seven.

if donations are tax deductible, do you get the entire amount back no matter how much?

Yep that's why rich people are so often philanthropic, every dollar they spend on charity the government fully reimburses them for.

Reactions: 8 users
probably 6-7 figures should suffice.

No. You deduct the amount you donate from your taxable income.
if donations are tax deductible, do you get the entire amount back no matter how much? I'm not too familiar with how taxes work.

Reactions: 2 users

Barron Trump, is that you?
10 million will get you an interview.

what about an 8-figure or $100 million donation? how would the adcoms react?

10 million will get you an interview.

How does the admissions dept. come to know? After making a donation does the Dean reach out to the donor where the donor "casually" mentions that his or her son/daughter is also applying to their school who then lets the admissions office know?

Isn't it weird to make such a large donation to a school you have no affiliation with?

what about an 8-figure or $100 million donation? how would the adcoms react?
10.2 Final Authority of Admission Committee

The final responsibility for accepting students to a medical school rests with a formally constituted admission committee. The authority and composition of the committee and the rules for its operation, including voting privileges and the definition of a quorum, are specified in bylaws or other medical school policies. Faculty members constitute the majority of voting members at all meetings. The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors.
(Italics, mine. LCME standard 10)

Reactions: 1 user
How does the admissions dept. come to know? After making a donation does the Dean reach out to the donor where the donor "casually" mentions that his or her son/daughter is also applying to their school who then lets the admissions office know?

Isn't it weird to make such a large donation to a school you have no affiliation with?
You can bet that they reach out to the Dean. It's not casual.

Reactions: 3 users
Literally way more than you can afford...and if you can afford it, you probably don't need to go to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors.
But...nobody would be able to prove they got in because of $$ instead of merits, right? You'd have to keep everyone voting on their app blind to the financial ties. Is that done successfully?

But...nobody would be able to prove they got in because of $$ instead of merits, right? You'd have to keep everyone voting on their app blind to the financial ties. Is that done successfully?
If the donor has a building named for them...
They love buildings.

10.2 Final Authority of Admission Committee

The final responsibility for accepting students to a medical school rests with a formally constituted admission committee. The authority and composition of the committee and the rules for its operation, including voting privileges and the definition of a quorum, are specified in bylaws or other medical school policies. Faculty members constitute the majority of voting members at all meetings. The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors.
(Italics, mine. LCME standard 10)

My exact thoughts! I also have to wonder how those people with MCAT scores in the 15-17 range according to the official AAMC table got in.

I once saw a letter of recommendation submitted by a relative (but not a parent) of the applicant. It was clear (or easy to Google if you were so inclined) that the person was a multi-millionaire with strong ties to the university. I don't know how much this person had given but I strongly suspect that the person had been very generous for decades. The writer's ties as well as the applicant's strong points were outlined in the letter.

I was surprised (or not) that the applicant was interviewed, admitted, and graduated on time and matched well. If you are wondering who gets admitted with stats below the 10th percentile... sometimes it is people with connections.

And the MCAT was much closer to 30 than 20 but my school requires "high" numbers but it is all relative.

We'd ask how soon do you want the school name changed? An d your child can have that seat right there in the lecture hall.
Lets name the seat after the applicant!

Is there a point in the process when a res director might receive a letter about a millionaire looking for the right hospital system to use a sizable donation...??

Maybe, but more likely that the applicant was good enough, once given the chance in med school, to land a residency without any help.

We go on and on about what it takes to get into a top school but frankly, students with lower stats can do just fine if they can get their foot in the door. URM and connected students do it all the time which seems unfair to the rest but life is unfair.

If you had all that money, it's smarter to use it to open up a company or free clinic and get it functioning, and putting that on your application.

At least that way, you're actually helping people and still getting into med school on your own merit.

But on SDN, no one pisses and moans about legacies.

Maybe, but more likely that the applicant was good enough, once given the chance in med school, to land a residency without any help.

We go on and on about what it takes to get into a top school but frankly, students with lower stats can do just fine if they can get their foot in the door. URM and connected students do it all the time which seems unfair to the rest but life is unfair.

Reactions: 5 users
I think legacy is more bull**** than URM by a long shot. They had everything from the very beginning, no effort required.

Reactions: 2 users
2q34ze1.jpg

It doesn't have to be your own cash. When my mom was interim CEO at a medical center down south she was able to get the city to pay the associated med school 6M to cover switching to RVUs (to avoid the hospital having to shell out its own funds).

I ended up withdrawing my application that cycle but i met the dean of the med school and a couple deans on admissions. They said my mom is a "great friend of the school" and one straight up told me they could get me in.

I'm not a fan of it. But I think URM comes up more often because the statistics on that are readily available. When applying, nearly everyone looks up those AAMC tables to see what their chances are, and nearly everyone will notice the large differences in acceptance rates.

I don't think many of us have thought about it as much, and there is not a data set to analyze for legacies (that I know of). At least for URM I understand and respect the logic.

This is true, but the still exist. In addition, the number of URM students are tiny, compared to both class size, and the number of ORMs at each med school. Even the HBCs have Asians in 10% of their classes, when Asians represent about 4-5% pf the US population.

So any Asian on the WL should be worried about that other Asian kid on the WL, not a black or a Mexican.

I don't think many of us have thought about it as much, and there is not a data set to analyze for legacies (that I know of). At least for URM I understand and respect the logic.

Does legacy status just get you the II if you have the numbers or does it help boost the LizzyM of the applicant?

I'm having a bit of a cash flow problem myself at the moment. Tell ya what...

For a mere $2k, I will provide up to 50 hours* of expert** consultations on the admissions process, tailored to your particulars, to aid you in landing a seat at a US medical school.

*At my sole discretion regarding need and pending availability
**Well, I got in, didn't I?

(Not responsible for outcomes. Your mileage may vary. As a hand-dyed product, some variation on shade is to be expected and is a feature not a bug. Offer strictly limited to the first 10 students to respond, so don't delay. Not really joking, PM me for paypal address. Bitcoin also acceptable.)

If you have the kind of cash that would let you try to buy a seat, dropping a couple grand on my services shouldn't discommode you in the slightest, and might actually help.

For a mere $2k, I will provide up to 50 hours* of expert** consultations on the admissions process, tailored to your particulars, to aid you in landing a seat at a US medical school.

(Not responsible for outcomes. Your mileage may vary. As a hand-dyed product, some variation on shade is to be expected and is a feature not a bug. Offer strictly limited to the first 10 students to respond, so don't delay. Not really joking, PM me for paypal address. Bitcoin also acceptable.)

If you have the kind of cash that would let you try to buy a seat, dropping a couple grand on my services shouldn't discommode you in the slightest, and might actually help.
Apparently these consulting services are widely available for about that price. I wonder how much of a leg up that will give. Someone professional reviewing the entirety of your amcas can't be a bad thing.

Apparently these consulting services are widely available for about that price. I wonder how much of a leg up that will give. Someone professional reviewing the entirety of your canvas can't be a bad thing.

I imagine somebody also has to be buying the 20k private MCAT tutoring course from TPR as well

Apparently these consulting services are widely available for about that price. I wonder how much of a leg up that will give. Someone professional reviewing the entirety of your amcas can't be a bad thing.

I definitely didn't use any such thing when I applied. I just turned to SDN to learn all that I needed to know. It was a steep learning curve and I did make some expensive mistakes early in the process. But not everyone is a happy autodidact like me! So, for those who don't want to use this wonderful free forum and its attendent resources, I will happily synthesize all that I've learned here and successfully applied. Sure, just using the search function is cheaper, but think of how many hours I've invested here so that you don't have to!

I definitely didn't use any such thing when I applied. I just turned to SDN to learn all that I needed to know. It was a steep learning curve and I did make some expensive mistakes early in the process. But not everyone is a happy autodidact like me! So, for those who don't want to use this wonderful free forum and its attendent resources, I will happily synthesize all that I've learned here and successfully applied. Sure, just using the search function is cheaper, but think of how many hours I've invested here so that you don't have to!
Sure , I will jump on that. I assume you mean 2000 Zimbabwean dollars, because that's all I'm willing to pay.

I just read about some fool on reddit who paid an "advisor" $300 to help with a school list. The kicker was that the school list was pretty bad...

The medical school hq guy does the same thing.. In addition to the prep books...he charges for a personal coaching service: at least $250...per month. What a bargain.

http://medicalschoolhq.net/

But hey, maybe some people benefit from it. I know at least one person who will (the coach).

Tbh that kind of money would much better be invested into the kid's education. Private school from the start + 10k or so on tutoring a year -> Ivy league + money to atart their own non profit + every rec letter they can imagine + even more tutoring and straight up coaching for classes + MCAT -> Top 10 medical school

I would be a horrible parent

Tbh that kind of money would much better be invested into the kid's education. Private school from the start + 10k or so on tutoring a year -> Ivy league + money to atart their own non profit + every rec letter they can imagine + even more tutoring and straight up coaching for classes + MCAT -> Top 10 medical school

I would be a horrible parent
Yeah, or just send them to a European med school. If you have that kind of money it's unlikely your kids have to work for a living. They can have the degree and just manage your money passively.