how necessary is an away?? advice appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jconstance71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an MS-3 planning my 4th year schedule with the hopes of applying for derm and wondering about away rotations as I have heard such mixed things. It seems like most people do one these days but I am not sure how much they really help. Basically my home school schedule and requirements are such that it would be difficult for me to plan one. We have a lot of requirements and start MS-4 year later than others. Max I could do one away before applications are due. And I don't have a particular city/program I need to end up at so I don't even know where I would want to do one. My other option is to use that month to do some derm research at my home institution and hopefully get on a case report or something or at least get another letter from that month...

If it helps, I am at top 10 med school with a top derm program, step 1>260, MS-3 grades: honors and high passes. any advice appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an MS-3 planning my 4th year schedule with the hopes of applying for derm and wondering about away rotations as I have heard such mixed things. It seems like most people do one these days but I am not sure how much they really help. Basically my home school schedule and requirements are such that it would be difficult for me to plan one. We have a lot of requirements and start MS-4 year later than others. Max I could do one away before applications are due. And I don't have a particular city/program I need to end up at so I don't even know where I would want to do one. My other option is to use that month to do some derm research at my home institution and hopefully get on a case report or something or at least get another letter from that month...

If it helps, I am at top 10 med school with a top derm program, step 1>260, MS-3 grades: honors and high passes. any advice appreciated!!!

A good middle ground would be do to 1

It helps to see a department outside of your home department as residency programs can vary greatly. Your stats seem to be good enough where you don't really need to do an away as an audition. So I'd recommend picking a place you would be interested in but not necessarily wed to, enjoy yourself, work hard, see how dermatology is practiced at a different program/different location/different region of the country, and if nothing else, enjoy a month away from the place you've been at for the last 3+ years.

Reactions: 1 user