How necessary is it to do summer research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emg83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current sophomore (3.95 GPA). I know that I have a solid GPA, but with most of the summer research programs having acceptance rates of <10% (some even 2 or 3%), it just seems pointless to apply for more than a few. I have been doing research since freshman year, so I do have research experience to put on my resume when it comes time to apply for med school. I was thinking that instead of doing a research program this summer, I could just focus all of my time to volunteering, and maybe get a few hundred hours in. Does this plan sound like it would be a good idea? Or should I spend the time to apply to more summer research programs? I just want to spend my summer doing something that will help my med school application as much as possible. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to do research during the summer unless you want to--especially since you already have research experience. Volunteering sounds like a fine way to boost your app over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what kind of school you want to get in to. Mid tier, lower tier- you're fine. Upper tier-- you'd best continue and do volunteering on the side.

If you already have research experience and only wish to continue research to improve your application, stop doing research and do something else with your time. Volunteering is a great option.