How necessary is research for Pulm/CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteophyte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY-2 at a top 5 Northeast residency program, looking to go in to pulm/CC. Believe it or not, I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding any relevant research projects despite being at a research institution. My goal in the future is actually to become an intensivist at a community or academic affiliated hospital +/- pulmonary practice (more likely down the road), but I have no real desire to remain in an academic research institution. I wouldn't mind working with residents as I like teaching and could see myself in the clinical educator role. For those reasons, I don't particularly need to get into a competitive academic fellowship, and would be happy at a program that provided me with good clinical training and lots of procedural experience. Assuming I can get decent LORs from clinicians I work with in a non-research setting, will I have much difficulty matching into a program that can get me what I'm interested in without doing research? Or should I work harder at finding a project and maybe do something more peripherally related to pulm/CC?

Members don't see this ad.

Current PGY-2 at a top 5 Northeast residency program, looking to go in to pulm/CC. Believe it or not, I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding any relevant research projects despite being at a research institution. My goal in the future is actually to become an intensivist at a community or academic affiliated hospital +/- pulmonary practice (more likely down the road), but I have no real desire to remain in an academic research institution. I wouldn't mind working with residents as I like teaching and could see myself in the clinical educator role. For those reasons, I don't particularly need to get into a competitive academic fellowship, and would be happy at a program that provided me with good clinical training and lots of procedural experience. Assuming I can get decent LORs from clinicians I work with in a non-research setting, will I have much difficulty matching into a program that can get me what I'm interested in without doing research? Or should I work harder at finding a project and maybe do something more peripherally related to pulm/CC?

This last cycle was competitive af

I'd suggest doing anything to help your application stand out. It doesn't have to be mind blowing or ground breaking, but something you can put on your app.

You will get a huge benefit of the doubt for coming from a "top 5" residency program. You just have to have something to talk about on the trail. You should atleast have an abstract done and a clear plan/story/area of interest within the field. Get paired up with a productive mentor and pump out some retrospective chart review like everyone else does.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone wanted to be a pulm/ccm clinician-educator, similar to the OP, how important is residency name for a good clinical pulm/ccm program? Everyone seems to put a lot of emphasis on residency name for cards/GI/HO, but what about some regular old mid-tier university program?

If someone wanted to be a pulm/ccm clinician-educator, similar to the OP, how important is residency name for a good clinical pulm/ccm program? Everyone seems to put a lot of emphasis on residency name for cards/GI/HO, but what about some regular old mid-tier university program?

Name brand and pedigree will matter at the higher ends. Just will. Between midtier programs will still judge people based on which programs they think are clinically rigorous enough for IM residency. Pulm/Crit is a specialty that requires that fellows hit the ground running and keep running until the are done, if you get a lemon from a program that PD probably will never take anyone from there again.

Reactions: 1 user