How non-traditional are YOU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erejto1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 24, a junior on the pre-med track. A volunteer at the local emergency department as well as the American Red Cross and also on the waiting list to become an ER Scribe. I'm considered a "non-traditional" student (the reason being is my financial situation) due to my age. How non-traditional are you?

Lots of love & good luck!

E

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 24, a junior on the pre-med track. A volunteer at the local emergency department as well as the American Red Cross and also on the waiting list to become an ER Scribe. I'm considered a "non-traditional" student (the reason being is my financial situation) due to my age. How non-traditional are you?

E

As non-traditional as it gets man. I am 41 years old, been out of school for 9 years. Married with 3 kids and now accepted for the class of 2018.

Reactions: 5 users
Im 25, I'll be 26 when I start med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

E
Also very nontraditional.

E
Your question is quantitative, therefore if you are 24 and I am a reptilian overlord I am exactly twice a non-traditional as you are.....ha ha ha. Couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Since you asked: I am 32, married with kid on the way, with B.S. & M.S. in Electrical/Computer Engineering in the US. Prior education was done abroad. I've been a chip designer for a little over 9 years. And I am preparing to apply to Med. School in 2 years. I hope I get a shot at it.

30 in a week....ehh......technically married, but I will be a single mother by the time med school rolls around. Instead of going straight to college after high school, I strapped on combat boots, joined the military and studied the complexity of a M16 while many youngins were studying physics. (although one could argue I would studying the real life physics of shooting a gun 300m down range with the wind blowing from the east and a target that would pop up for 5 seconds...trajectory..hmm.... anyways.

I also have hidden tattoos! OMG so non-trad! lol.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm 23 going on 24 Just received my B.S in Health Education, I have a 4 months old son who I carried through my senior year of college. I am a single mom because the father of my child was initially married. I am from the Philippines and the rest of my family is still back home. My financial status.....working my butt off. Recently applied to post-bac program to take organic chem,physics, genetics and to also get help with preparing for the application process. By the time I get into medical school I will be 26 years old mys son will be 2 years old. & I'm most likely going to depend on government money & loans to get there.

Reactions: 5 users
I like your financial status DrMom. "working my butt off" hehe

I'm 23 going on 24 Just received my B.S in Health Education, I have a 4 months old son who I carried through my senior year of college. I am a single mom because the father of my child was initially married. I am from the Philippines and the rest of my family is still back home. My financial status.....working my butt off. Recently applied to post-bac program to take organic chem,physics, genetics and to also get help with preparing for the application process. By the time I get into medical school I will be 26 years old mys son will be 2 years old. & I'm most likely going to depend on government money & loans to get there.

Wow. I'm just a tiny bit older than you and this is very humbling to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 29 year old with a B.S. in Education and History. I currently work in research, and will be applying this cycle after a few years of a part time post bac for my science courses.

I'm 26... I have two daughters.. My oldest is 9 and youngest is 2.. I am recently engaged.. I am an RN have my BSN... I work full time in a hospital... My student loans are currently at $60k :-( which sucks! Having a daughter at 16 is what made me work my butt off.. I was seriously told by having her I was throwing my life away and would never do anything with my life. So for a little bit I believed that.. Then I decided to change my life and work my butt off even more and do well in college.. Hopefully by next summer ill be ready to take my mcats..

Reactions: 11 users
I am 43 years old and have 5 children (21,22,23,24,25). I have a Liberal Arts degree with a concentration in Holocaust/Genocide studies. I am preparing for the MCAT and working on my applications. Nice to meet all of you. :)

Reactions: 7 users
I am 43 years old and have 5 children (21,22,23,24,25). I have a Liberal Arts degree with a concentration in Holocaust/Genocide studies. I am preparing for the MCAT and working on my applications. Nice to meet all of you. :)
Hi p-girl1. I'm over 40 too and accepted starting M1 Aug 4 barring misfortune. I always wonder when I hear from kids my own age what motivated you to pursue medicine at such a late date? I have always had science nerd tendencies, and if I had started earlier could easily have been seduced by a career of academic research. I went med because 1. I like the idea of helping people; 2. It seems to be more woman friendly that other science professions; 3. Job security and income; and 4. community impact.

What motivates you? It sound like your nest is empty, so I'm thinking family support is less a factor for you now than during the last two decades.

Last edited:
One of the most here. 24 is minimally, if that, non-trad. Over 40--much tougher rows to hoe. Good side of things: Many of us have settled the married with children issue, been through a lot of it, and we've been kicked in the arse a lot by all kinds of things in life and working in the crazy world of people. You just choose to keep moving. Life is for the living.

40 and up can be an awesome time in your life, even amidst the challenges before and after. My 20's and early 30's were great w/ some various challenges! Mid to later 30's much harder because of a conglomeration and piling up of tragedies. You can't really avoid them. They will come, if you are ready or want them or not.

The big midlife advantage is that you have learned that life is hard, and it will continue to be hard in many ways--so you come packed ready for it--knowing that you do the best you can and you will get through.

That's what I personally call a "non-trad. "

Reactions: 3 users
One of the most here. 24 is minimally, if that, non-trad. Over 40--much tougher rows to hoe. Good side of things: Many of us have settled the married with children issue, been through a lot of it, and we've been kicked in the arse a lot by all kinds of things in life and working in the crazy world of people. You just choose to keep moving. Life is for the living.

40 and up can be an awesome time in your life, even amidst the challenges before and after. My 20's and early 30's were great w/ some various challenges! Mid to later 30's much harder because of a conglomeration and piling up of tragedies. You can't really avoid them. They will come, if you are ready or want them or not.

The big midlife advantage is that you have learned that life is hard, and it will continue to be hard in many ways--so you come packed ready for it--knowing that you do the best you can and you will get through.

That's what I personally call a "non-trad. "
Hi jl....what motivates you to chase med later in life. Are you premed, med, or res?

24 is non-traditional??!! Good lord I must be older than I think. Haha.

I got married at 18. Started college at 24 with the intention of becoming a physician. Wife died soon after. Left me as a single father. Gave up on medicine. Finished undergrad at 28. Worked as a graphic designer for a few years. Went back and got my Master's degree so I could teach. While in grad school returned to pursuing medicine. Spent 3 years after graduate school teaching, taking prerequisites and knocking out all of the other extracurricular/volunteer stuff. Applying next year at the ripe old age of 36.

That's my non-traditional story in a nutshell. ;)

Reactions: 11 users
Currently 32.

Married at 18, parent of 4 (three step, one biological), unusual undergraduate major, went to graduate school in something completely different.

Small business owner, writer, aerospace researcher, past career in theater, former clergy, yeshiva student.

Thought medicine was the worst job ever... until I decided I wanted to test it out. From medical phobe to medical school applicant. I still don't know exactly how that happened.

I'm starting med school in August at the ripe old age of 36. Not married but in a committed relationship. Earned my BS in a timely fashion and graduated at 21 with a degree in journalism from a top university. I spent 12 years as a journalist - the last two freelancing while working on prereqs. Since then I've been getting my hands dirty at hospitals, working full time on the floor and in the OR. That kept me afloat until I received an acceptance to the DO school of my dreams.

Last edited:

E

29 years old, married. Already have a strong career in public health (including national recognition and collaboration with the CDC). Have a husband with a career who is picking up and moving to Michigan with me. No kids yet, but we'll adopt after residency (when I'm pushing 40, ha).

I did zero science in undergrad, graduated in Jan 2008 with a BA. Did AmeriCorps for 2 years, then started managing programs at a community health center in a major US city. Earned my MPH while doing that. Then decided I wanted to do more, took evening/weekend science classes at 3 institutions (a state school, a highly prestigious private school, and a community college). Applied to med school and got in during my first swing - starting in August.

I'm fairly non-traditional, but not the most non-traditional around.

I felt traditional when I started the process, but now 10 years later, I'm feeling more non-traditional. I'm 32 and finishing my PGY-5 year... This doctor thing is taking forever.

I'm 21, single mom. Graduating from an LPN program at a career center in less than a month, then going to college for my BSN and premed prerequisites.

Good luck!! I was an LPN, then RN, then I got my BSN now I'm finishing pre-reqs :)

31 with no previous undergrad degree. I landed a pretty sweet business oriented job just out of high school so I didn't see much need to go to directly to college. I have been pursuing a degree part time, but after being laid off in November, I have become a full time student for the first time in my life. 2 kids (3 and 6) and married. I will hopefully be applying for the first time when I am 34. Good luck everyone! I look forward to "seeing" us all progress.

Reactions: 1 users
10 years ago, a bad situation with my adoptive parents prompted me to leave the U.S. weeks before my senior year in high school. I went to my home country to be with my biological family as per suggestion of my psychologist as a way to handle my bipolar depression.

I went straight to college there on a full athletic scholarship and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Biology. Went straight into medicine in that country and took a leave of absence in the middle of my second year due to an issue with my depression.

Worked as a professional entertainer but returned the following school year and stopped again in the middle of my 3rd year at the suggestion of my mother, who saw that I was distracted with performing. Worked professionally entertaining, coaching, and teaching for a couple more years but couldn't get medicine and being a doctor out of my head. I decided that it was time to return to the U.S. just recently.

Now at 27, I'm applying in the U.S. for a second bachelor's degree (public health or neuroscience) with the hopes of being able to apply to medicine in the U.S.

I know I have a lot of questionable circumstances and red flags, but still keeping my hopes high. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I am 31, 3 kids and married. I have spent the last 10 years in the Marine Corps deploying to Iraq, Afghanistan and Africa. I am about as non-traditional as the come, I did not put forth much effort in High School I started my Pre-Med path about 3 years ago. I had a decent GPA 3.60ish, but I had a motorcycle accident, LCL repair and 2 deployments and unfortunately my GPA slipped a bit. I have not let this phase me and after I have been out and a true full time student I have pulled a 4.0 and am working hard at building a strong application. I have been looking around this site for a while now but this is the first time that I have posted. Thanks to everyone for the support and the motivation. Keep pressing on everyone, and if anyone is in the San Antonio MCAT study group??

I'm 26... I have two daughters.. My oldest is 9 and youngest is 2.. I am recently engaged.. I am an RN have my BSN... I work full time in a hospital... My student loans are currently at $60k :-( which sucks! Having a daughter at 16 is what made me work my butt off.. I was seriously told by having her I was throwing my life away and would never do anything with my life. So for a little bit I believed that.. Then I decided to change my life and work my butt off even more and do well in college.. Hopefully by next summer ill be ready to take my mcats..

You know, you're in the same boat as me! Tell me when you get accepted to medical school.

Im 27 and was a nuclear medicine tech (imaging) for a number of years. This was my first application cycle (2013-2014). I applied to a small number of schools this cycle (mistake, make sure to apply to many) and got love only from my home state medical school. I wanted to attend this school so it all ended up working out. I will be matriculating at Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine.

I have not yet received any feedback as far as what they liked about my application. i do have a lot of clinical experience, and I had a heavy work/EC/school load during my postbacc years. My interviewer liked my clinical experience and focused on that.
Also 1st generation college attendee.
Hope this is encouraging to those with prior health care experience.

Focus on your state school or schools where you have regional ties. Apply broadly to MD and DO and you will make it in.

Congrats Esoteric! And welcome, jgibson!

*giggle* I am imagining a bunch of us old folks saying "I am more nontrade!" "NO! I am more nontrade!" "I have 5 kids" "Yea well I am 40!" hehehe

Wait...why did it correct nontrad to nontrade? I don't want to stick the little - between non and trad because I am ...wait for it......too nontrad for that! *grin* sorry, I just had coffee :banana:

Reactions: 3 users
I consider myself non trad as a 23 yr old. I decided I wanted to do med school my junior year but didn't want to stay longer to do the pre reqs because I didn't want my already large debt to increase at this stage (took out 2 high private loans :bang:) so I graduated last fall with a degree in liberal arts and took a semester off to work and figure out a plan. I'm now working 2 jobs to pay for both school and my pets (dog, cat, fish, horse). Yea I'm not married with children and yes I live with my parents but if I'm being honest I lived on my own for 3.5 years and in that time I've had to struggle to pay a ridiculous amount in rent for 1 year because I didn't take out enough in loans and had to work a job that physically made me sick when I thought about it. I was there when my neighbor right above me was found dead days later by her daughter after she committed suicide and then had to experience the disturbing sounds of a boyfriend beating on his young girlfriend (yes police were called). Oh and I also got stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service at night and had to walk in the pitch black until a kind family stopped and gave me a ride to town.
I may have nowhere the amount of experience many have on this forum but I sure as hell have experienced life :soexcited:!!!

Its really great to see everyones progress and the fact that so many people are overcoming adversity and gaining admittance!

Hello everyone...I'm V E R Y non-trad!....45 y/o, single male finishing my BS in Medical Studies at ASU.. Took the well, well, WELL, thought out route to medicine. I'm newly admitted to the inaugural (new for 2014) class of BS students at ASU The program had a different title last year that encompassed all health Pre-professionals in to one group. Now we have our own!! I really like this program because it provides a lot of support and research opportunities at the UG level that prepares students for a career in medicine.

Study hard (and smart) and great things can and will happen at ANY stage of your life.

If you're younger than 25 you barely count as non traditional, if at all, unless you are a returning veteran or have a spouse AND kids.

31, BA in political science with only one hard science credit (2006), wife, 3 kids with 4th on the way, 7.5 years in the Navy and still going. Taking D-school prereqs and applying in the 2015-2016 cycle.

If you're younger than 25 you barely count as non traditional, if at all, unless you are a returning veteran or have a spouse AND kids.

Just because you meet those qualifications?

24, active duty military, spouse and son. HOPEFULLY I will be 28 or 29 when I matriculate into med school.

37 hoping to apply soon and taking some classes now and waiting to see where we will be stationed next

Hi jl....what motivates you to chase med later in life. Are you premed, med, or res?

Wow, that's a heavy question. I have tried to answer it succinctly in the past. I'm still working on pulling that together with more brevity. :) I definitely know this is important for one's PS.

Wow, that's a heavy question. I have tried to answer it succinctly in the past. I'm still working on pulling that together with more brevity. :) I definitely know this is important for one's PS.
I'm over 40 and chasing med as it seems a good way to make a good to my community; it seems from here to be more female and age friendly than other disciplines; and, it appeals to my inner science geek. As I have aged, moral behavior and social responsibility have begun to eclipse the values of my youth - being cool and not making waves. Medicine is one of those disciplines that is practiced best when the practitioner is grounded morally.

I wonder of myself where my moral roots will be when dealing with a 500lb diabetic who won't / can't change their eating habits, or when treating with a convicted serial rapist etc. it's easy to picture being compassionate with children and with bright, wealthy, slender, pale patients, but I'm ready to tackle the perception that some patients are more deserving of care than others. I'm ready to put my revolutionary dedication to egalitarianism to the test.

I'm always seriously interested in hearing what motivates other older non trads: never mind the loading.

Cheers!

I wonder of myself where my moral roots will be when dealing with a 500lb diabetic who won't / can't change their eating habits, or when treating with a convicted serial rapist etc. it's easy to picture being compassionate with children and with bright, wealthy, slender, pale patients, but I'm ready to tackle the perception that some patients are more deserving of care than others. I'm ready to put my revolutionary dedication to egalitarianism to the test.

This should start a great discussion...

I'm older too (34) and share your concerns on this. Granted, I'm still a pre-med and once I (hopefully) get into medical school my interests/feelings may change.

I have always been on the fence about family medicine or pediatrics. My reasoning? Wait for it... Wait for it... I have no compassion for adults who do not take care of themselves. I would have an extremely hard time standing there silently if an adult patient was in front of me in the same scenario you presented above. On the other hand, I feel that infants and adolescents are completely innocent, since they don't have the mental ability to comprehend the results of the actions; diet, exercise, etc. (Of course the "mental ability" argument could be used for a lot of adults too I suppose.)

We can take it a step further in that many people become physicians so that they can solve complex problems, they couldn't care less who the patient is, they simply want to fix the problem. (ie. MD) No that wasn't a cheap shot, I'm simply referring to the philosophy between MD and DO. Part of the reason I look forward to becoming a physician is to solve medically-related problems, but just as much so to help people, spend time with them and be a contributing member of the community.

The question I'm dreading the most in interviews... "why do you want to be a doctor?" I of course have several of the usual answers, but the real reason, I think can't be expressed in words. I mean why does one like apple pie?

What motivates me as an older student? Lots of things. I love challenges. I've wanted to be a physician since I was 16. Mainly, getting up every day and feeling like what I'm doing is actually making a difference in the world/somebody's life.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm over 40 and chasing med as it seems a good way to make a good to my community; it seems from here to be more female and age friendly than other disciplines; and, it appeals to my inner science geek. As I have aged, moral behavior and social responsibility have begun to eclipse the values of my youth - being cool and not making waves. Medicine is one of those disciplines that is practiced best when the practitioner is grounded morally.

I'm always seriously interested in hearing what motivates other older non trads: never mind the loading.

Cheers!

In my work in HC, I've learned that I cannot change anyone. I can only strive to influence them...that's the only real power we have in most cases--even with kids and some youth and family services crisis situations. Care and influence--that is what we must accept. Some will receive it and take on responsibility, and others will not. No matter what area of medicine and healthcare one works, the Serenity Prayer is a valid prayer each day.

This should start a great discussion...

I'm older too (34) and share your concerns on this. Granted, I'm still a pre-med and once I (hopefully) get into medical school my interests/feelings may change.

I have always been on the fence about family medicine or pediatrics. My reasoning? Wait for it... Wait for it... I have no compassion for adults who do not take care of themselves. I would have an extremely hard time standing there silently if an adult patient was in front of me in the same scenario you presented above. On the other hand, I feel that infants and adolescents are completely innocent, since they don't have the mental ability to comprehend the results of the actions; diet, exercise, etc. (Of course the "mental ability" argument could be used for a lot of adults too I suppose.)

We can take it a step further in that many people become physicians so that they can solve complex problems, they couldn't care less who the patient is, they simply want to fix the problem. (ie. MD) No that wasn't a cheap shot, I'm simply referring to the philosophy between MD and DO. Part of the reason I look forward to becoming a physician is to solve medically-related problems, but just as much so to help people, spend time with them and be a contributing member of the community.

The question I'm dreading the most in interviews... "why do you want to be a doctor?" I of course have several of the usual answers, but the real reason, I think can't be expressed in words. I mean why does one like apple pie?

What motivates me as an older student? Lots of things. I love challenges. I've wanted to be a physician since I was 16. Mainly, getting up every day and feeling like what I'm doing is actually making a difference in the world/somebody's life.

What many people may initially miss with ped or neos is they come as a unit w/ an adult/adults or someone that has the responsibility for making decisions for their child like an adult. You can't get around dealing with adults--and generally speaking, adults are more likely to cooperate and listen--though not always-- than a sick kid or baby. And stressed out parents nearby only intensifies the stress.

I have had to teach nurses transitioning from adults to peds. Some can deal w/ the added stress and some cannot. Probably can't really know until you work it. But when parents are overly anxious, or the worse extreme, they just don't care or refuse to get the child to what he/she needs, the stress can be overwhelming. I love neos and peds; but sick kids are usually not fun--it can be very stressful and you have to stay cool and not get sucked into either the anxiety, apathy, or in some cases, manipulation.

@jl lin I completely agree with your response. I was approaching it from more of a philosophical viewpoint in that children don't "knowingly" make ignorant decisions, even if they understand it's going to harm their health in the long run. (ie. An adult who smokes, lives on cheeseburgers, etc.) The "innocence" I was referring to was that children are at the mercy of their parents' choices. Children obviously don't buy the groceries, or willingly choose to live in a house with a smoker. I guess another draw to Pediatrics is the school teacher in me. :) Talk about dealing with parents...

Is it too honest to admit that this is partially the reason I am interested in Hospice and Palliative care? I feel like chronic conditions level the playing field in terms of one's past actions/noncompliance and allow us to just focus on making today as comfortable as possible regardless of who you are and what horrible life choices you made/will make.

Although, I am sure it can be frustrating when compliance/noncompliance is the factor that determines whether a patient can benefit from long term palliative care or only short term hospice.

I might come down harder on adults if we lived in a society where fresh fruits, vegetables and lean meats were commensurate in cost, and as readily available, to the costs and availability of the typical obesgenic American diet - one made from soda pop, Mac and cheese, and the dollar menu on the local fast food joint. Legislation and policy have created subsides that favor a marketplace full of disease friendly foods. Eating is not optional, and poverty and inequality in America are profound and growing. Obesegenic diets are cost friendly and simultaneously deficient in micronutrients.

We've gone from a society where morbid obesity was rare (1950s) to one where it has become the rule. I want to vomit every time someone suggests that the entire responsibility lies on the consumer. Nothing sends me into a blind rage faster than hearing all of those scientifically incorrect old hacks about "poor decision making" and "lack of will power." Our willpower and decision making power did not suddenly mutate from the 1950s, the human population of America was and still is in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. Greed and overweening corporate power have sculpted a marketplace that is in and of itself pathological and causative of human pathologies. We have "cancer of the food supply", the co-morbidities of which are a host of genuine human illnesses.

Keeping that in mind, along with the influx of online health information powered by a second industry that makes money off of fear and wrong information, I am inclined to be very forgiving of the adults around me. I understand that the forces that shape their lives and influence their health are not under their control.

Willpower is a strictly extra-cellular phenomenon and one you cross the cell membrane the laws of nature supersede cognitive barriers.

Reactions: 4 users