How often do people get 45's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine told me that her cousin and the cousin's brother both got perfect scores on the mcat... I find that hard to believe... It got me thinking... anyone know anyone who got a 45? Anyone know how common 45's are?

Btw, I don't care about writing......

Members don't see this ad.

a friend of mine told me that her cousin and the cousin's brother both got perfect scores on the mcat... I find that hard to believe... It got me thinking... anyone know anyone who got a 45? Anyone know how common 45's are?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499681

my friend's sister said that her cousin's good friend's neighbor's son got a perfect score;)

Impossible

http://aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/pubs.htm

I think the highest score in the last 10 years is a 43 or something like that.

yeah when i tell people im studying for the mcat i always hear "someones friends brother/sister got a 45"... when i hear that i know its a bunch of bs. i guess it just seems like thats the thing people like to say when u tell them you are studying for the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea... she is premed but not taking the mcat yet for some reason (she's 3rd year)... so i think that might've played some role. I thought it was pretty rare... thanks

Impossible

a real person got a 45 this year. it happens, but of course it's rare.

some years, it is only possible to get a 44 (with a 14 max in VR) because many people do very well in that section (believe it or not). since the MCAT scores are not based on discrete percentages but rather in comparison to all the other examinees, if many people achieve the same level (i.e. perfection) on one section, the max score decreases.

try not to be TOO surprised that the 45 MCAT is not a golden ticket to any school in the world, though: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile?id=9123

some years, it is only possible to get a 44 (with a 14 max in VR) because many people do very well in that section (believe it or not). since the MCAT scores are not based on discrete percentages but rather in comparison to all the other examinees, if many people achieve the same level (i.e. perfection) on one section, the max score decreases.

try not to be TOO surprised that the 45 MCAT is not a golden ticket to any school in the world, though: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile?id=9123

That's impossible.. the profile has to be fake.. or something's wrong with the AAMC data

AAMC data cannot lie... when it says 0.0% got 45s, it means nobody did... atleast not within the last few years.. unless they round down or something... still, I'd rather trust AAMC :/

well, it could be 0.001%. I bet there is one person every 5-10 years who gets a 45. but that is practically impossible then...and, yeah, that profile has to be fake!

even if it's 0.001%, I'd think the AAMC would show it.. no?

even if it's 0.001%, I'd think the AAMC would show it.. no?
well, they rounded all the percentages to the nearest decimal place...so im guessing they wouldn't have. but who knows!? maybe you're right and it really is 0%. who the hell would aim for a 45 anyways!? anything above a 36 is awesome.

well, they rounded all the percentages to the nearest decimal place...so im guessing they wouldn't have. but who knows!? maybe you're right and it really is 0%. who the hell would aim for a 45 anyways!? anything above a 36 is awesome.

that's true actually.. they did round to the nearest decimal place

That's impossible.. the profile has to be fake.. or something's wrong with the AAMC data

AAMC data cannot lie... when it says 0.0% got 45s, it means nobody did... atleast not within the last few years.. unless they round down or something... still, I'd rather trust AAMC :/

if they extended those numbers several decimal places, you would see that there are numbers there.

Members don't see this ad :)

I aim for a 45. Why aim for less? I'm not going to get it, but I rather undershoot striving for a 45 than undershoot studying for a 33!

The thing about max VR being a 14 I believe was removed when the starting administering the CBTs. I believe that now you have to miss at least 1 to get a 14...This may be part of the reason that many people report their VR sections are insanely hard.

Impossible

I personally, know a 43S, and have seen the real, verified score report. Also, one of our mods got a 43S on the MCAT! ;)
44 I've never seen, and 45 I haven't seen either.

I aim for a 45. Why aim for less? I'm not going to get it, but I rather undershoot striving for a 45 than undershoot studying for a 33!

Right on brother. That's what I was aiming for too. Coulda got it too! :p

true.. but what is the act of aiming for a 45 :p
how is that any different than aiming for ...a 38? :p

true.. but what is the act of aiming for a 45 :p
how is that any different than aiming for ...a 38? :p

Well for me, it was that when I got a 38 on a practice exam I got very excited and studied my BUTT off for those last two points! If you're goal is a 45. You'll never become complacent in your studying.

Right on brother. That's what I was aiming for too. Coulda got it too! :p

Agreed. The point of setting goals is to have a sense of direction. There has to be a balance between 'realistic' and 'dream' goal. MossPoh brings up a good point. You should be setting a higher goal but at the same time it should be somewhat achieveable. Vihsadas set a goal of 45 because I guess he believed he could possibly get that score based on his practice score, belief and determination. If you read his posts, he says that he was consistently getting 14-15's on each section on AAMC practice exams leading up to the exam. I would say different people should set different goal. Everyone's situation is different. For people with below average uGPA's (less than 3.4) should set higher goals for the MCAT. I truly believe that. Having a goal really gives you a sense of direction and something to shoot for. You'd be surprised how many people would achieve their dream score if they really believed in that goal. Belief is the key. Many people do not believe they can score 35+ and thus end up not getting it. I bet you there is a strong correlation between belief and MCAT scores. At the same time, that belief should be strong and unshakeable. You truly have to believe in the goal and not just fake it.

We don't know. The AAMC doesn't publish the numbers of them, though it would be fun if they did, wouldn't it? :)

For those who are saying it's impossible to get a 45 based on the AAMC data, that's not true. The stats are just rounded down if they're less than 0.005% of test-takers. People who score at the very top and the very bottom won't show up on the charts because there are so few people at those extremes. My score didn't show up either. (I got a 43 in Aug. 2004, but if you look at the AAMC data, you'll see it says that 0.00% got that score because there were only two of us.)

Hey now wait a minute. Getting a 40 does necessarily mean you're a genius. Trust me, I know! :p
:lol: I think I can vouch for that, too. The verbal section alone can swing someone from either end of the IQ spectrum in or out of that "ridiculously high MCAT" score zone. And, IMHO, while there is a component of intelligence in the "reasoning" part of verbal reasoning, its not enough if you've never really read previously and you're taking too long to get through the passages, and it most definitely doesn't require "genius" capabilities in all aspects of ones intellect!

Would I give up my 40 for genius? you bet I would!

Btw, the VR is supposedly a very good predictor of IQ for native english readers. Thats probably why its so hard to improve.

Btw, the VR is supposedly a very good predictor of IQ for native english readers. Thats probably why its so hard to improve.
If that were the case I wouldn't be scoring in the 65th percentile. There are many aspects to a persons intelligence, this VR section would only cover a very small fraction of the many aspects considered when looking at someone's overall intelligence profile. Physics, OChem,, Calc--I didn't even have to go to class or open my books to get A's (not just A's but usually close to 100% all the way through, including finals), with a few exceptions. But verbal... now THAT'S a different story. :lol:

So, I wouldn't put much weight into that "supposedly good predictor" :)

I wouldn't give it up for genius (easier to get into medical school if you're average intelligence and have a 40 than if you're a genius and didn't take the MCAT. :p), but I'd definitely be up for converting 5 of those MCAT points to +.5 on my GPA! => 3.9/35S Anyone?

People who do well on Verbal happen to be "smart" whatever that means
That doesn't mean all smart people do well on Verbal though :D

i dunno, i think ud be hard-pressed to find someone who performed exceedingly well on the verbal section (12+) who is not accustomed to performing well on iq test,

on the other hand, i scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT verbal section, with NO prep and scored a measley 7 on my first Kaplan diagnostic....4 months later, with alot of prep i rarely score below 11, which leads me to think that it is certainly coachable....ahh did i just contradict myself?

Yeah, with enough prep. :lol: If I went back in time quite a few years and decided to actually read I (and many others) would probably be scoring considerably better in verbal on a regular basis.

The questions themselves aren't difficult for me, and many others. Its usually just getting through the passage with sufficient time to go back when necessary.

Now that I think about it, I know some people who were naturally scoring 13s in verbal and had to "fight" to get 7/8s in PS and BS. People just process different things differently, and past experiences / education / training will effect peoples current capabilities differently as well.

I think blanket statements like: Section X is the hardest to score high in b/c it requires a high IQ are somewhat ignorant considering intelligence is definitely composed of many different intellectual components.

Most people probably score poorly on the VR section because most of us are Bio (and other science) majors, many of us never read text like that before, and many of us really avoided textbooks altogether.

Yeah, with enough prep. :lol: If I went back in time quite a few years and decided to actually read I (and many others) would probably be scoring considerably better in verbal on a regular basis.

The questions themselves aren't difficult for me, and many others. Its usually just getting through the passage with sufficient time to go back when necessary.

Now that I think about it, I know some people who were naturally scoring 13s in verbal and had to "fight" to get 7/8s in PS and BS. People just process different things differently, and past experiences / education / training will effect peoples current capabilities differently as well.

I think blanket statements like: Section X is the hardest to score high in b/c it requires a high IQ are somewhat ignorant considering intelligence is definitely composed of many different intellectual components.

Most people probably score poorly on the VR section because most of us are Bio (and other science) majors, many of us never read text like that before, and many of us really avoided textbooks altogether.

agree 100%

1) Your individual scores and composite score
01/08- 40R
VR- 15; PS- 13; WS- R; BS- 12

2) The study method used for each section
I would alternate between going through my notes, taking section tests, and taking full length tests. Then I went back and reviewed all the material and made study guides, multiple times.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I took Kaplan and did all on-line and book material. I also used the EK books and the 1001 books (for all subjects). I used Nova's Physics and Chemistry books. I also took all the Kaplan full-length tests, AAMC new on-line tests, and Gold Standard tests. I took AAMC old (the 7 hr) practice tests as well for endurance and the Princeton Review Verbal Reasoning Passages. Lastly, I studied my school books.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
All the Kaplan, AAMC, and Gold Standard tests.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
major = biology and chemistry
minor = physics and religious studies

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Stick it out!!! You will see the reward..and don't forget to review your school notes..in the end that's really all that matters
and don't settle for a score...i got a 30 and an 8 on VR the first time ;)

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
I did not study for the WS at all. I took one practice verbal test for about two months. During winter break, I studied (four weeks straight with one day off) for about 7 hours a day, and about two hours for two months aside from that during school. And about 3 hrs/day the summer before that...A lot of my time was spent goofing off with my bf also studying but for LSAT or talking on the phone though..so it's hard to say :love:

Their IQ must have shot up like crazy! lol

Something else I noticed is that.... Canadians on SDN score insanely well on the MCATs. I can't even count how many threads I've seen that go something like: I got a 36 N and got rejected everywhere... Canada hates me.

yeah tncekm and bozz fight for those of us who suck at verbal, I got your backs :beat::beat::beat:

Their IQ must have shot up like crazy! lol

Something else I noticed is that.... Canadians on SDN score insanely well on the MCATs. I can't even count how many threads I've seen that go something like: I got a 36 N and got rejected everywhere... Canada hates me.
:lol: no kidding! 8-15... That's like going from average Joe McDonalds to world renowned physicist in a few months if VR were intimately correlated with IQ :lol:

yeah tncekm and bozz fight for those of us who suck at verbal, I got your backs :beat::beat::beat:
You're another example. You said you started as low as 4-5, right? You just got a 14 if I'm not mistaken. I guess you've suddenly evolved your brain from the likes of Jim Burger Flip to Stephen Hawking in a matter of months :D

I scoff at the idea of VR being a test of innate intelligence, even for native english speakers.. I got a 14 and I'm not that smart. Early diagnostics (first two EK101) were in the 7-8 range. VR is more a test of your lifelong reading habits / approach to the test / practice / luck. It is certainly the hardest section to improve on and study for, though. Read up on the EK mindset, its all about confidence and energy.

You're another example. You said you started as low as 4-5, right? You just got a 14 if I'm not mistaken. I guess you've suddenly evolved your brain from the likes of Jim Burger Flip to Stephen Hawking in a matter of months :D

started out with a 6 on the Kaplan diag, it took me 3 months to get up to the 8-9 range, and now, six months later am averaging out at 11s on the AAMCs, 12s on GS and the latest and highest I have been able to get is a 13 on AAMC 4. I hate verbal.

I scoff at the idea of VR being a test of innate intelligence, even for native english speakers.. I got a 14 and I'm not that smart. Early diagnostics (first two EK101) were in the 7-8 range. VR is more a test of your lifelong reading habits / approach to the test / practice / luck. It is certainly the hardest section to improve on and study for, though. Read up on the EK mindset, its all about confidence and energy.

I agree. Perhaps in a contrasting story to yours I started at 12 peaked at 15, consistently hit 13 and 14, and then ended up with an 11. :p

I mean. I have two "goals". I always aim for a 45, but I also have a "content with the score" goal. It has more to do with my years in drumline. We always aimed for perfection. Every note perfect, every step in the exact planned spot, and all that stuff. Even though that was our goal, the secondary goal is just to win the competition.

I don't think it is stupid to always strive for a 45. The second you settle for that 30 or whatever score is really really doable then it always happens OR you get lower. It is a rare occurrence that you do better than that score you strive for. It is along the lines of the "shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars" line. It is just me, and I'm certainly not a gunner, but while I'd be very happy to get a 35+, part of me would still be angry for missing questions. That is regardless of how much I know. It is just my nature.

My verbal is consistently 11+ on the practice tests. I usually get frustrated if it is under 12. Part of the fact is that I'm an idiot and take my practice tests in coffee shops and stuff, so it makes it real tough to focus. Sometimes I am a bit argumentative with the answers they give me too. That lit. analysis side of me gets angry at some of the rationalizations they give for the answers. The biggest thing is to act interested in the passage you're reading. Luckily, I'm kind of weird and am usually interested in the passage regardless of the topic. If you saw my bookcase you'd understand...

:laugh::laugh: the responses to my comment have been awesome. I'd like to point out that I suck at verbal too so by that metric, I'd be just slightly above average. The last time i had my IQ officially checked was in 6th grade and I had a 135 then. Ok but nothing spectacular. Def not a genius like that 200+ IQ 13 year old O_O.

I worked harder on verbal in my prep than my other sections but in the end, the score ended up being exactly the same as my diagnostic +pissed+. My advisor, who has a PhD in psychology and I believe has done work on this before, told me that the VR was strongly correlated with IQ and more so than the other sections so I just passed it along. She never told me how high the correlation was... in these kinds of things i'm sure r^2=.4 could count as high. :laugh:

I really wish my brain could evolve that fast. Kudos to those of you who improved so much! I think the major thing going for stephen hawking is that even though he is already a genius, he has very few distractions compared to normal people so he can concentrate more on his work. This is of course, a curse and a blessing.

Well, in defense of your advisor, maybe if all things were equal, such as past exposure to reading materials, similar majors, etc, etc, I guess you could draw the correlation between certain aspects of your IQ and VR score, since generally the different areas of IQ are summed together to give a final score :D

I actually agree with you about hawking, and IMHO, most very "accomplished" people. I think intelligence plays some role in accomplishing new and novel things (or even getting a accepted to med school), however, I think those accomplishments are generally, and primarily, the result of determination, desire, motivation, etc.

I remember a thread from a while ago where someone was arguing that to "figure out the AAMC" and to "try and beat the test itself by recognizing patterns" requires a pretty high level of intelligence.

Not true at all.

I did it by working hard... not by being "naturally-gifted." Proof is that I still struggle in some of my Bio classes.. even ones that test concepts that I studied for the MCAT! Everything I did was solely for the MCAT. I studied blood pressure "well enough" that I could answer any blood pressure question on the MCAT.

But I'll get owned on a physiology test about blood pressure. It's possible for anyone to cheat the system with hard work. I've forgotten everything now. 0 retention. For MicroBio class, I didn't remember what the lysogenic phase in the viral cycle was or how it worked. I had to re-look at all the details once again.. and it seemed new to me o.0

That's why it is very possible for juniors in college to destroy the BS section of the MCAT .. while Biochemistry pHD students may not necessarily be able to do so. By figuring out how to beat the MCAT.

I bet RapplixGmed can school me in physics and math anyday ... but med schools don't know that :p

As I understand, scores are determined on a standard curve. Therefore, you could get a less than perfect score and still get a 45. I think it also means that someone always scores a 45. There is a web page that shows the scoring statistics...I'll try to look for it.

People don't always have to score 45s. It was discussed earlier that the AAMC already has a largely pre-determined "curve" before anybody even takes the test.

lol at bozz...dude i appreciate ur level headed commentary...my mentality exactly...still, i think i have, say for instance, springs down, and then i go to the physics forum and find i cant answer any of the questions, despite my scores increasing! then i realize, wait, im only concerned with how i do on actual mcat problems, not how well i learn the physics! sounds so terrible, but i got A+'s in a terrible physics class so i've already "learned" physics well enough!

lol at bozz...dude i appreciate ur level headed commentary...my mentality exactly...still, i think i have, say for instance, springs down, and then i go to the physics forum and find i cant answer any of the questions, despite my scores increasing! then i realize, wait, im only concerned with how i do on actual mcat problems, not how well i learn the physics! sounds so terrible, but i got A+'s in a terrible physics class so i've already "learned" physics well enough!

hahaha.. I used to post there when I was prepping for the Jan. administration (Physicsforums.com) asking some of the "dumbest possible" questions... they were helpful and not rude at all haha.

I didn't understand half the replies on there when I'd ask questions... but like you my scores were ok. So I was just like.. :shrug:

Btw, I got low Bs in Physics I and II.

xD

Seriously though.. some of the stuff they talk about on there is just insane. I'll always have the most respect for physicists ... it's so interesting to watch their minds at work. They're at a whole different level.

I would not blow off the Writing Sample, actually a lot of schools will still look at that, especially the big names that do a lot of research, if you have something below an M on that with a 30 or better MCAT, its not going to be pretty.