How often do people graduate with a 4.0 from medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flatulence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how often people go through medical school with a 4.0? Anyone in your class like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure no one has a 4.0 in my med school. The best student in our class has something around 3.6. (Yea, our exams are weird).

flatulence said:
Anyone know how often people go through medical school with a 4.0? Anyone in your class like this?
It is VERY rare indeed.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible at many schools simply because many schools don't have GPA. Some are pure P/F, others are a variant of it. Everyone from my school's transcript is by and large identical: P+, P, P- or high F+0.000001 all = P, just a straight line of Ps.

Hs are in a small box for 3rd year clerkships only, other than this even 3rd and 4th year is full of Ps.

Basically besides this little box everyone's transcript is identical.

Supposedly in past years there were a number of people who graduated with 4.0, even after third year. This of course terrified the administration which is why they are now implementing a grading curve on everything starting this year.

And yeah, there are probably one or two people in every class who get a 4.0, and those are usually the same asian chicks who got their 4.0's in your biology class in college, were valedictorian of their high school, and scored a 44 MCAT and 1600 SAT (old scale). And of course, just to piss you off they happen to be supermodels.

Diceman said:
And yeah, there are probably one or two people in every class who get a 4.0, and those are usually the same asian chicks who got their 4.0's in your biology class in college, were valedictorian of their high school, and scored a 44 MCAT and 1600 SAT (old scale). And of course, just to piss you off they happen to be supermodels.

Hmm...brainaic chicks who spend all their time studying = (usually) fantastically horrific looking people :laugh:

btw, it's been years and years since I've taken it, but I think they're reverting back to the 1600 scale. Apparently, the new exam was a disaster.

Diceman said:
Supposedly in past years there were a number of people who graduated with 4.0, even after third year. This of course terrified the administration which is why they are now implementing a grading curve on everything starting this year.

ya, that girl is super hot :D

flatulence said:

my friend graduated from RFU/CMS last year with a 4.0. He was also ranked #1 in his class.

cdql said:
but I think they're reverting back to the 1600 scale. Apparently, the new exam was a disaster.
Is that really true??? I heard the scoring was a disaster b/c they mis-scored thousands of tests because of moisture screwing up the scanatrons. But I also heard they developed something to prevent moisture from getting in. I heard nothing about going back to ther old system. Do you have any online info on that? Just curious....

Diceman said:

heh, I actually know of a hottttt Asian girl (MS3) at your school who scored a 1600 on her SAT and was HS valedictorian. I won't name her undergrad since that might narrow her down, but I'm guessing she's at or near the top of her MS class.

potato51 said:
heh, I actually know of a hottttt Asian girl (MS3) at your school who scored a 1600 on her SAT and was HS valedictorian. I won't name her undergrad since that might narrow her down, but I'm guessing she's at or near the top of her MS class.

I'd hit that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Labslave said:
Stroking the ego again, are we?

Sure as hell looks like it.

bigfrank said:
It is VERY rare indeed.

:D

clapping.gif

flatulence said:

It is possible.

These people go into academic medicine, and have few friends.

Psycho Doctor said:
Is that really true??? I heard the scoring was a disaster b/c they mis-scored thousands of tests because of moisture screwing up the scanatrons. But I also heard they developed something to prevent moisture from getting in. I heard nothing about going back to ther old system. Do you have any online info on that? Just curious....
I truly doubt they are going to the old system. they have put a lot of money into changing the test structure and all the books and everything. Plus I am an SAT tutor (the best job ever I must say), and there has not been any discussion about this at my company.

If they really exist, they are not spending their precious time on SDN--or maybe they are the trolls, here to ridicule all who are weak and need advice or companionship :oops:

Aren't there some schools whol grade inflate? It doesn't seem fair when one person goes to a school and gets a 4.0 and if he/she went to a different school then they would've gotten lower. Especially during the clinical years when some attending rarely give A's if ever. That sucks!

Good grief. Now we're talking about grade inflation in med school. Does the whining ever end???

flatulence said:
Aren't there some schools whol grade inflate? It doesn't seem fair when one person goes to a school and gets a 4.0 and if he/she went to a different school then they would've gotten lower. Especially during the clinical years when some attending rarely give A's if ever. That sucks!

Newsflash....no one gives a crap about your GPA. All residency directors care about is class rank, board scores, and how many and which courses you honored. I personally have no clue what my GPA is, our school is H/P/F, but they do keep trying of it numerically for class rank (they just never tell us). There are plenty of things to worry about in med school, but GPA is definitely not one of them.

randomedstudent said:
Newsflash....no one gives a crap about your GPA. All residency directors care about is class rank, board scores, and how many and which courses you honored. I personally have no clue what my GPA is, our school is H/P/F, but they do keep trying of it numerically for class rank (they just never tell us). There are plenty of things to worry about in med school, but GPA is definitely not one of them.

Isn't class rank dependent on GPA?

Pembleton said:

I suspect there are multiple systems used. However a relative minority probably use a 4.0 system. The prior poster's point was that your gradepoint average is somewhat irrelevent because it doesn't really matter if someone is first in their class with a 4.0, a 2.0, a 98.6% a 16.0 etc or if you are simply ranked in every class and then it is all aggregated -- however you slice it, they are still eg. "first", "second", "third" in their class and so on.

Law2Doc said:
I suspect there are multiple systems used. However a relative minority probably use a 4.0 system. The prior poster's point was that your gradepoint average is somewhat irrelevent because it doesn't really matter if someone is first in their class with a 4.0, a 2.0, a 98.6% a 16.0 etc or if you are simply ranked in every class and then it is all aggregated -- however you slice it, they are still eg. "first", "second", "third" in their class and so on.

Many schools don't have strict rankings.
Some like Stanford have none.
We just have the "rank word" which is subjectively and holistically determined by one person and not formulaic.
Not sure how important the "rank word" was either-had people with the lowest rank word match in fields like rads.

Rank is the more important measure for sure (when published) but is not a sine qua non: as an example, graduates from my school in the bottom third of their class in the past 3 years have matched into every residency but derm and radonc.

Pembleton said:

Class rank is determined by number grades (i.e. 96, 87, 74, 78, etc.)

GPA is determined on the 4.0 scale.

The problem is this:

4.0 = 90-100
3.0 = 80-89
2.0 = 70-79

Someone with all 89's will have the SAME GPA as someone with all 80's, but the person with 89's will have a much higher class rank.

OSUdoc08 said:
Class rank is determined by number grades (i.e. 96, 87, 74, 78, etc.)
Probably true more often than not, but not at my school, where (M1 GPA + M2 GPA + (2* M3 GPA))/4 determines rank; ~3.8 is usually AOA and ~3.65 usually top third.

liverotcod said:
Probably true more often than not, but not at my school, where (M1 GPA + M2 GPA + (2* M3 GPA))/4 determines rank; ~3.8 is usually AOA and ~3.65 usually top third.

I would hate to have the stigma of AOA on my transcript.

It shows to the residency program that you have no personality and wouldn't be a fun guy to work with.

Instead you'd be a know-it-all who constantly studies and would never be a good companion for golfing or hitting the bars.

[For all of you uptight SDNers, here is your dictionary word of the week --> "Sarcasm"]

OSUdoc08 said:

It shows to the residency program that you have no personality and wouldn't be a fun guy to work with.

Instead you'd be a know-it-all who constantly studies and would never be a good companion for golfing or hitting the bars.
:laugh: Are you for real ?

OSUdoc08 said:
Luckily for you, that's a pretty easy problem to circumvent. ;) :p

At my school we still have the old fashion 4.0 scale (superior, high sat, sat, low sat, unsatisfactory ie A,B,C,D,F) and so students are ranked according to this as opposed to percents (98% student get same recognition as 91% student etc). This can lead to a log jam of people being ranked the same so its possible to have like 5 students ranked #1 in the class b/c of this.

OSUdoc08 said:

You actually have a whole other "AOA" stigma with which to contend. You lucky dog.

P.S. It is posts like your above one that make people think you're both an idiot and incredibly annoying.

:)

bigfrank said:
You actually have a whole other "AOA" stigma with which to contend. You lucky dog.

P.S. It is posts like your above one that make people think you're both an idiot and incredibly annoying.

:)

As you can see I'm incredibly concerned.

It's a sarcastic post. You'll want to consider getting a sense of humor.

All I have to say on this topic is, I HATE anyone that does better than me. I always have to find some other fault, often their looks. I am a deeply discontented, envious person, and I simply cannot endure the presence of anyone more talented than me.

getunconcsious said:
All I have to say on this topic is, I HATE anyone that does better than me.
You must like me a lot.

getunconcsious said:
All I have to say on this topic is, I HATE anyone that does better than me. I always have to find some other fault, often their looks. I am a deeply discontented, envious person, and I simply cannot endure the presence of anyone more talented than me.
And the winner for funniest post goes to...

Pembleton said:

Yes, but the previous poster seemed particularly concerned about being compared to students from other schools which he/she believes may have grade inflation thus putting him/her at a disadvantage. Class rank eliminates this concern because you are only compared to people in your class at your school. It's not like undergrad where because of grade inflation a 4.0 at one school may be equivalent to a 3.5 at another. I have never heard anyone mention GPA in reference to med school, residency programs don't make decisions based on this. The system clearly isn't perfect and one could still argue that rank of #1 at one school is equivalent to #30 at another, but that is another arguement entirely. Also that is what Step 1 is for, to level the playing field.