How often do you use med chem in real life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How often do you use medicinal chemistry in real life situations?

• All the time.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • A fair amount of the time.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Rarely, but I can remember situations.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Never.

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really sick and tired of medicinal chemistry being 25% of my grade when, at least in my opinion, it's used almost never in real life. I can't think of any situations where medicinal chemistry is even close to relevant. Is it IV compatibility? WHAT THE HELL.

Members don't see this ad.

It's basic knowledge that you need in order to understand more advanced concepts. Want to know why beta-lactams cross-react in allergic patients to varying degrees? You need medicinal chemistry to truly understand that. Want to know how the different TKIs are able to overcome resistant mutants? Again, medicinal chemistry.

If you're wondering when the last time I drew allopurinol on command was, then you're right, it's never. Medicinal chemistry certainly isn't useless though. For me, at least, it laid the foundation for everything else I learned in pharmacy school.

So to answer your question, I use it all the time.

The practical uses for the typical pharmacist are quite limited, but it is important for us, as drug experts, to understand the research side of pharmaceuticals. For example, I was talking to one of my technicians about migraine prevention and she had mentioned that she used inderal and one of my other techs said that was for blood pressure. I explained some of the proposed mechanism and the tech asked if any beta blocker could be used. I explained to her that propranolol was very lipophillic and thus is able to cross the BBB (as a biochem major she understood this). So yes, if you memorize PI's you probably don't need medicinal chemistry, but as a pharmacist I think it important to understand why drugs work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sick and tired of medicinal chemistry being 25% of my grade when, at least in my opinion, it's used almost never in real life. I can't think of any situations where medicinal chemistry is even close to relevant. Is it IV compatibility? WHAT THE HELL.

Read the tread about nardil, we talk med chem for some of it.

I do fairly frequently. But then, I don't have a typical job. :laugh:

Personally, never. I know the MOA and PK but I don't remember what it is about the molecule that confers the particular properties.

i have not used med chem since i graduated. I, however, have used pk.