How old are you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
21 at matriculation

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you're back!

This under graduate/student/pre-dental/weekend father/20-30hour a week worker....

Is back!!!!!

It ain't easy.... But dentistry is waiting for me, and I can't let it down!

I still have not been accepted....

How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately not but hey such is life! I'm currently in the process of getting ready to apply again and hopefully have more luck this upcoming cycle.

A lot of people are old here!!

Geez, that ain't cool!!!

I want to be with the young folks....

Not you thirty year olds...

32! Turning 33 right after orientation week. I enjoyed my 20's way too much, and have the GPA to prove it.

Reactions: 12 users
I'm 26 and got accepted this cycle. I'll turn 27 during my first semester at dental school. That makes me feel old!!!! 20 years old felt like yesterday.

Shouldn't matter as long as you're young at heart.

Reactions: 1 user

Waaaa

I'm old, and I will be with lucky younger ppl.

Not fair

Waaa waaa

Members don't see this ad :)

Waaaa

I'm old, and I will be with lucky younger ppl.

Not fair

Waaa waaa

You probably have more life experience than those "lucky younger ppl."

Just out of curiosity, will all you older people feel uncomfortable (or even inadequate) to be surrounded by 21/22 year olds, especially in such a competitive environment that is dental school?

Just out of curiosity, will all you older people feel uncomfortable (or even inadequate) to be surrounded by 21/22 year olds, especially in such a competitive environment that is dental school?

Let me put on my glasses........

Well let me see here....

Hmmm

Me, old near 30 y/o single male, surrounded by 21-25 y/old's......

Uncomfortable ? No
Inadequate? No

But, the question is.... How will the squirty 20y/old's keep up with me! ?

I can't wait.....

Reactions: 11 users
I plan on regaling all my young classmates with "back in my day" stories and keeping hard candies in my bag, just incase they get fussy after skipping their nap. But I will not be intimidated. I got through high school with AOL as my dial up provider and 25 cents a minute cell phone calls. They should be intimidated by ME. They couldn't survive waiting until 9 pm to make cellphone calls during the Free Nights and Weekends era.

Reactions: 15 users
I plan on regaling all my young classmates with "back in my day" stories and keeping hard candies in my bag, just incase they get fussy after skipping their nap. But I will not be intimidated. I got through high school with AOL as my dial up provider and 25 cents a minute cell phone calls. They should be intimidated by ME. They couldn't survive waiting until 9 pm to make cellphone calls during the Free Nights and Weekends era.
You sound so mature. :)

Anyway, why are there so many tooth fairies on Sdn?

Reactions: 1 users
My goal was to finish dental school before 30 (gives me enough time for possible babies afterwards??). Managed to reach it in time :)

uncomfortable? not all all
inadequate? most definitely not!

i think those are two feelings that older students would have less than younger students

Being older is an advantage. More life experience. And life experience is definitely something that helps in dental school, believe me. When you've left an entire career behind to make the switch, you're a lot more tolerant of all the BS that dental schools throw at you, because you know what it's like out there in the real world, and you know that school isn't nearly as bad as what you could be doing instead. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Let's hear it for the people born in the 80's!

Reactions: 7 users
42 here... changing career from rapper to DDS

Reactions: 3 users
I'm 20 and will be attending dental school this fall when I'm 21.

The frontal lobe isn't completely developed until age 25 for the average individual.

Being older is an advantage. More life experience. And life experience is definitely something that helps in dental school, believe me. When you've left an entire career behind to make the switch, you're a lot more tolerant of all the BS that dental schools throw at you, because you know what it's like out there in the real world, and you know that school isn't nearly as bad as what you could be doing instead. ;)

Hell yeah. Plus, we get like a month (give or take) off from school a year, including all the breaks? I'm sure it will be needed more than ever before but that is WAY more than I've ever had at any job.

And I don't think uncomfortable/inadequate applies here. Just won't connect with some if they seem too immature.

Starting dental school as a fresh college graduate is the best way to start a career. Not only is one not beaten up and cynical from so called less than pleasing "life experience," but one also has more mental and physical stamina to endure the rigorous and often taxing dental curriculum. Furthermore, it jump starts one's career at the earliest age possible, maximizing the potential for wealth accumulation. This is not to say that academic success in dental school and earning a lot of $ are everything in life, but the combination of the two would most likely lead to a less tumultuous career as a dentist.

Sounds like you need to get out more...

Starting dental school as a fresh college graduate is the best way to start a career. Not only is one not beaten up and cynical from so called less than pleasing "life experience," but one also has more mental and physical stamina to endure the rigorous and often taxing dental curriculum. Furthermore, it jump starts one's career at the earliest age possible, maximizing the potential for wealth accumulation. This is not to say that academic success in dental school and earning a lot of $ are everything in life, but the combination of the two would most likely lead to a less tumultuous career as a dentist.
I think it's because as a newly grad, you have a "momentum" already and just kick it up a knot to adapt to dental school vs. someone who has not taken any classes for a couple/few years. But of course, there are exceptions.

Matriculated to dental school at 23

Currently, the youngest in our class is 21 while the oldest is 58.

Lol. Tumultuous career?! Disagree with your mental stamina point. Physical stamina, maybe, but also possibly better at time management. Cynical from the real world? Nah, not at all - just got a different perspective. And sure, you have 7 more years than me to build wealth, but what do I care? We don't know how long we'll live. And I might spend more wisely, or invest better, and then your point is moot.

Anywho, I think it's neat that there are so many different ages and backgrounds of DS students - makes it more interesting!

How about those of us born in the 70's...38 years old here. But have worked in dental since I was 16...
You mean..... 38 years young. Go Bucks! haha

28 now, 29 when I apply next year. Not exactly the way I planned, but I wouldn't change a thing.

^generation of entitlement.

I'll be 33 when I start. I've been through one professional program already. The only thing that had any correlation with age was how awkward students were with patients (inverse relationship)

Reactions: 4 users

I'll be 33 when I start. I've been through one professional program already. The only thing that had any correlation with age was how awkward students were with patients (inverse relationship)

How is that being entitled? He may have slightly overstepped on a few points, but a couple of them where spot on.

Having an opinion (whether right or wrong) doesn't necessarily make you entitled...

Having an opinion (whether right or wrong) doesn't necessarily make you entitled...

True. My bad for jumping to conclusions.

So here's where I was coming from then. It's an opinion that is wrought with assumptions. When such assumptions put the reader into categories that the writer implies as negative, it really reads as condescending and quite arrogant, whether that was the intention or not.

"Starting dental school as a fresh college graduate is the best way to start a career."
The best way [time] to start a career is when you want it. 10 years ago I wanted to be an artist, probably not a good time for me to try pursuing dentistry ;)

"Not only is one not beaten up and cynical"
My age doesn't imply I'm beaten up. In fact I'm a lot less beaten up now that I have dealt with issues from earlier in life.
I'm also a lot less cynical than I was 10 years ago. Life is a lot better and I am much happier and openminded now.

"from so called less than pleasing "life experience"
I probably have more "less than pleasing" experiences, yes, but my life hasn't been "less pleasing" just because I've been around longer. The flip argument would be that I've been around longer, and had more "pleasing" experiences, so my life has been "more pleasing" - which is a silly statement.

"but one also has more mental and physical stamina to endure the rigorous and often taxing dental curriculum"
My mental stamina is great. Probably better than when I was 23. I'm a lot more confident in myself now, and have a lot more drive to aim high in life compared to when I was 23.
Perhaps I can't run as fast as I could when I was 23, but all dentists pass through age 33 at some point, and 33 just happens to be where I start.

"Furthermore, it jump starts one's career at the earliest age possible, maximizing the potential for wealth accumulation. This is not to say that academic success in dental school and earning a lot of $ are everything in life, but the combination of the two would most likely lead to a less tumultuous career as a dentist"
I don't see why my age predicts doing poorly academically. I don't think there is a strong correlation between school grades and career success of a dentist either.
Re money - sure, I wish I could get started paying loans off at an earlier age, but I'm also entering dental school 100% debt free with a nice lump sum of savings to throw at first year tuition. It'll take me absolute max 10 years to pay off my loans, which is no different from anyone else. I don't see how paying off your loans earlier correlates with how tumultuous the career itself is.

Bottom line - there are advantages to being younger, and advantages to being older. Perhaps the 23 yo you is better than the 23 yo me, for first entering this career. And perhaps the 33 yo me is better than the 33 yo you for first entering this career.

I just don't want to be put in a box :). Apologies for putting you in the entitled generation box...

Reactions: 3 users
"Starting dental school as a fresh college graduate is the best way to start a career."
The best way [time] to start a career is when you want it. 10 years ago I wanted to be an artist, probably not a good time for me to try pursuing dentistry ;)

Bottom line - there are advantages to being younger, and advantages to being older.

I just don't want to be put in a box :). Apologies for putting you in the entitled generation box...

No worries, I agree with your bottom line. I do think there are more advantages starting younger (however not for the same reasons as the previous overzealous poster), but this reminds me of the quote "the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is now". This whole argument is moot, most people here are starting their careers NOW and should focus on the future, not dwell on when the best time to start a career is. Best of luck!

Now let's all plant trees

I feel the love here

I feel that being a fresh college grad entering dental school. doesn't mean you don't want it more than a non-traditional. But, think about it, a non trad has risked a lot more than a traditional matriculant. Families, careers, and most importantly, time is put on the chopping block for a chance at doing this career. If a traditional fails out, they still have their youth and, if they were smart about their under grad degree, still have a career and time to find great success outside of dentistry.

I feel that being a fresh college grad entering dental school doesn't mean you want it more than a non-traditional. But, think about it, a non trad has risked a lot more than a traditional matriculant. Families, careers, and most importantly, time is put on the chopping block for a chance at doing this career. If a traditional fails out, they still have their youth and, if they were smart about their undergrad degree, still have a career and time to find great success outside of dentistry.

I'm semibuzzed... And realized I quoted myself when I meant to edit. Tsk!