How old are you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting dental school as a fresh college graduate is the best way to start a career. Not only is one not beaten up and cynical from so called less than pleasing "life experience," but one also has more mental and physical stamina to endure the rigorous and often taxing dental curriculum. Furthermore, it jump starts one's career at the earliest age possible, maximizing the potential for wealth accumulation. This is not to say that academic success in dental school and earning a lot of $ are everything in life, but the combination of the two would most likely lead to a less tumultuous career as a dentist.

Lolwut.

The only accurate thing in there is that you increase your earning potential.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, will all you older people feel uncomfortable (or even inadequate) to be surrounded by 21/22 year olds, especially in such a competitive environment that is dental school?

Not at all. I'm way more comfortable about everything than I was at 22. I'm not looking to compete with anybody and don't see any need to feel inadequate. I've made mistakes in much higher stakes situations and made a fool of myself in front of much more important people.

If anything, I'll feel less existential stress. I know exactly where I'll be practicing after completing school. I've done enough "living" to know I won't have any regrets about being tied down to a practice and bundle of debts.

Really, it's all the youngsters I'm more worried about. With few exceptions they'll be fine, but the folly and awkwardness of youth are powerful things

Unsurprisingly, this thread has turned into a pissing contest between the oldies and the babies.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unsurprisingly, this thread has turned into a pissing contest between the oldies and the babies.

I don't see it that way at all. One person said something a bit silly and presumptuous about older students and asked a question suggesting we would/should feel inadequate. Some of us are responding.

Neither group is better. Everyone has something to contribute to their class, school, and eventually patients. Sometimes these qualities will be ties to age or life experience. Usually they won't.

I don't see it that way at all. One person said something a bit silly and presumptuous about older students and asked a question suggesting we would/should feel inadequate. Some of us are responding.

Neither group is better. Everyone has something to contribute to their class, school, and eventually patients. Sometimes these qualities will be ties to age or life experience. Usually they won't.

I mean in his defense, someone had earlier commented that being older is an advantage. It was just retaliation (and thus the start of the pissing contest).

A pissing contest? Then there is no contest. Us older students have larger bladders and weaker muscles. We piss all over the place and with products like Depends, you younger people don't even realize it. We win!!! I challenge any 20 something to out piss me. I have 30 plus years of practice!

Reactions: 5 users
27 when I matriculate. Could out-pee any 22 year old on here

We are pre-dental not p-p Olympians....

Only if patients were to read some of these threads and posts....

Reactions: 4 users
I'm 23 years old. I don't know how old I'll be when I matriculate. Hopefully 24 or 25 after a post bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
20 when I applied the first time. 21 the second time and will matriculate at 22.

27.... 28 by the time I matriculate. But I'll prolly claim 25. Haha.

25 now. 27 at matriculation. I'd like to think my military service is a good excuse for my late start! Still feel a bit behind!

Wow nice, you brought back a year old thread, not to mention that one guy who insults people using bear pictures. LoL. What a guy. However, I am at the ripe age of 20 since it is relevant. ;)
What's wrong with bringing threads back?

28 when I applied, 29 when I matriculate. I guess that I'm kind of up there lol

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently 20 and i'll be 21 this summer right before dental school starts in August.

I was 21/22 when I applied and got in. If you look at my class demographics, the average age is about 27 with a range of 21-36 when we all started. It seems like a good amount of people took a gap year before starting school again.

Doesn't matter how old you are. It's grad school not middle school.

#30sumthin

Intimidated by younger students - nah

Intimidated by lack of sleep - oh hell yeah

I'm an 'olderish' student. I used to wonder if I'd feel old or not fit in.

I've taken a few extra science classes in the last year to beef up my app.
In some classes I didn't connect with the other kids in my class AT ALL, and in others I made great friends who are 10 yrs younger. They had no idea I was so much older until I told them. I think it's just a matter of finding like-minded, mature individuals who have similar energy, priorities and goals AND are fun to be around.