How old is 'too old' for a recommendation letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fusion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At which point does a letter of recommendation become too old to use? A premed advisor once told me that letters of recommendation generally should not be more than a year old. I agree that the more recent a letter is written, the better. However, if I were to request an updated recommendation from someone who wrote me one a few years back, I am somewhat concerned that the letter won?t be as strong just because the recommender may have forgotten some of the details that make for a strong LOR (i.e., details that may be in the original rec letter). I realize that some professors may hang on to a copy of the letter they wrote for a student so that they can just update it if need be. But many just write the letter and send it off. I am primarily concerned with my recommendations that were written four years ago. My letter file looks like this:

Graduate science professor, May 2004
Non-science professor from undergrad, June 2004
MD who I worked with in the OR, September 2003
MD who I did research for, November 2000
Post-bac science professor, September 2000

Do you think the older letters will be okay in light of the recently written recommendations, or should I request my recommenders to update (and run the risk of the new letter not being as strong as the original)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't feel there is anything wrong with old letters, unless those are your only letters. most letters are written after you completed a course or a work position, and most admissions understand this. if you accomplished something 4 years ago, it might be inconvenient if you ask the letter writer to remember what you did back then. unless you are still close to the letter writer, i would simply notify them as a courtesy to say that you are using their old letters for medical school admissions.

as for myself, i applied for the 2004 entering class with most of my academic letters written in 1997 and 1998. i had no problems.

I agree. I had letters going back to 98, 99, 00. But I also had recent letters as well. I still got in for 2004.

You should be fine and do not need to request an updated LOR.

good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, it may not be a bad idea to contact your older recommenders, ask them if they have a copy of your old letter; have coffee with them or visit their office (or talk over the phone), and then ask them to update it with the new information you discuss.
i know a few places want more recent letters, but i am with the above posters in that, since they are not your only letters, you should be okay. but, i think an updated letter will serve even better (if possible)

good luck

Since you have them over a time "gradient," I wouldn't worry at all.

It is my understanding that letters of recommendation had to be sent directly from the school or the person giving the recommendation. My suggestion would be to call those professors ask them to write a recommendation and then suggest that if they need a copy of the old recommendation you can send it to them.

Better yet just call the schools you are applying to and ask them what their policy is on the matter. If you send them off yourself without verifying, it could delay the review of your application.

Thanks everyone. Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

I have been told that all of them should be within 2 years of the present. Don't remember when or how I heard that, but a lot can happen in 2 years.

I have graduated with M.S. in education in 2007, 3.5 GPA, and I am applying to dental school, and my science courses were all taken during undergrad, before 2002.

Between 2002 and now I have worked jobs that were not related to dentistry- you guessed it I have been teaching. I found that it's not my calling and I keep constantly thinking about dentistry, because it's something I really want to do. Now I need 3 letters of recommendations from science professors. Can someone here suggest the best way for me to get those letters?

Thanks

I have graduated with M.S. in education in 2007, 3.5 GPA, and I am applying to dental school, and my science courses were all taken during undergrad, before 2002.

Between 2002 and now I have worked jobs that were not related to dentistry- you guessed it I have been teaching. I found that it's not my calling and I keep constantly thinking about dentistry, because it's something I really want to do. Now I need 3 letters of recommendations from science professors. Can someone here suggest the best way for me to get those letters?

Thanks

You're gonna have to go back to school...

Thanks

Good to see that you did a search first but you might be better off asking this question in the pre-dental forum rather than in pre-allo where we aren't experts on what dental schools look for.

And wow! I'm glad someone isn't trying to apply today with no letter more recent than 2004.... I was trying to figure out how to approach that one!

Does anyone know if dental schools accept recommendation letters from previous employers? I started a new job within the past year and do not think I would get as strong of a recommendation letter from my current employer.

Does anyone know if dental schools accept recommendation letters from previous employers? I started a new job within the past year and do not think I would get as strong of a recommendation letter from my current employer.
Good to see that you did a search first but you might be better off asking this question in the pre-dental forum rather than in pre-allo where we aren't experts on what dental schools look for.

Good luck! :luck:

Hello :)
I think, it may not be a terrible thought to contact your more seasoned recommenders, inquire as to whether they have a duplicate of your old letter; have espresso with them or visit their office (or talk via telephone), and afterward request that they redesign it with the new data you examine. I know a couple places need later letters, however i am with the above blurbs in that, since they are not your just letters, you ought to be alright. be that as it may, i think an upgraded letter will serve far and away superior.
Thank you:)

This thread is ancient. I was in 5th grade when it was created :uhno: