How old is too old to go into neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAChemDawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be about 30 when I begin medical school. Will I be too old to pursue a career in neurosurgery? Med school takes 4 years, and then it takes another 7 after that to become a neurosurgeon, so I'll be in my early 40's before I even start. Whatever specialty I go into, I'd like to get at least 20-25 solid years in before I retire.

Assuming I'm 42 when I begin, if I worked for 25 years I'd be 67. Is this doable?

I realize that it is quite common for people to start medical school in their 40s or even 50s, but they usually go into primary care specialties. My main concern is how my physical condition will hold up. A neurosurgeon's body is just as important to his career as a professional athlete's is to his. Injuries and health problems that come naturally with age that may go unnoticed in other specialties, can derail a surgeon's career. How feasible is it to not even being your nuerosurgery career until you're in your early 40s, as opposed to early 30s like people who go straight to medical school from college at age 22 do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's feasible but obviously not for everyone. You'll see on your 3rd year rotations and 4th year electives...in fact it might be especially important for you to take some more 'demanding' electives like ICU and surgical sub-specialties to see if the hours/workload are just too much or, as is more common, just not worth it. The field is fulfilling but so are many others; the time comittment and stress level does not make it worth it for many people. But of course there are those that flourish off of it.

You will be getting up early often (i.e., in the hopsital at 5:00 a.m.) and staying up for 24+ hours at a time during residency. This is what will take it toll as it comes week after week, month after month. After residency the hours can be much better but at times more demanding than almost any other career.

You live one life. Make it worth living. For some that will be in the OR changing someone's life forever. For others it will be at home enjoying their family, or sailing to the Azores, or something equally fulfilling.

Great question! I was wondering this too. I am an older student and I like neurosurg. Am I too old? Will my body hold out? What if I can't operate for some reason? What if something happens to me? Ok, so lots of questions but I think it's important to consider all this.

I know someone who entered medschool at about 40 and now is doing general surgery. She'll be fifty before she's completely out and practicing. Life is a one shot deal, and happiness is something we choose. I am wondering if I am up to this ...