How Old Is Too Old to Go to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Old Is Too Old to Go to Medical School?

• 26-30

Votes: 28 3.8%
  • 31-35

Votes: 55 7.5%
  • 36-40

Votes: 107 14.6%
  • 41-45

Votes: 124 16.9%
  • 46-50

Votes: 117 15.9%
  • 51-55

Votes: 88 12.0%
  • 56-60

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • 61+

Votes: 44 6.0%
  • No Age Limit

Votes: 101 13.7%
  • Other/It Depends (post below)

Votes: 30 4.1%

• Total voters
I guess if you are over 40, you should consider Poopology?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 35-year old PGY-1 who was 30 when I started medical school, and I voted for 31-35. While I'm much happer now than I was in medical school, it remains true that, all things considered, if I could do it over I would not go to medical school. The only way I could imagine this being worth it is to do it in one's twenties. Unless you really are one of these people whose one true dream in life is to practice medicine--but how could such people reach age 30 without bothering to apply to medical school yet?

Well, I think I have heard a fair share of non trads who say they are not sure if they would go through medical school again. I am in graduate school, I've had my ups and downs with laboratory science. It really concerns me :scared:whenever I see a non trad question whether or not they would do medical school again. I am 27 years old now and plan to apply this cycle, if I get in I'll be 28 when I start. Even though, I am a little bit older, I don't mind taking some extra time to make sure that I am making the right decision.

Question:
I'm a 35-year old PGY-1 who was 30 when I started medical school, and I voted for 31-35. While I'm much happer now than I was in medical school, it remains true that, all things considered, if I could do it over I would not go to medical school. The only way I could imagine this being worth it is to do it in one's twenties. Unless you really are one of these people whose one true dream in life is to practice medicine--but how could such people reach age 30 without bothering to apply to medical school yet?
Answer:
Nah. Most of them were just young and stupid and didn't really know what would make them happy in life at the time. Most of us career changers probably made many of our own missteps for much the same reason. Only difference is, we decided to do something about it. And empowerment is a good feeling. Someone who invested so much of their youth, tuition money and energy on medicine probably feels a bit more trapped and unempowered. And that breeds comments like "I would never do it again".
1. Balked at the cost.
2. Balked at the time commitment (come on, when you graduate college, you're looking at half your life before you can start practicing!).
3. Got married, had kids, got in debt, got chained to the $$-making job I had.
4. Turned 30.

During my early years working in US hospitals I would ask MDs "if you could do it over, what would you do differently?" 90% would say to me that they would not go to medical school. I stopped asking.
I hear this a lot on SDN so I've made a point of asking all the docs I work with. I can count 18 right off the top who said they would do it again, and encouraged me to go into medicine, even considering the pay/debt issues and that I have a family. This is IM, Derm, Rads, Int. Cards, CCM, EM, OB/Gyn, FM, CT Surgery, Heme/Onc. I have never had someone tell me they wouldn't do it over, though I've had a couple say they would have gone into it with their eyes a little more wide open.

And I have to say, the negativity I encounter in some of the attendings at my hospital is ****ing annoying. Its always about the downward spiral of healthcare, and their drop in patients (drop in business), and that everything's going to hell. Then you see them in the parking garage and they're getting into a beautiful car, or in the process of talking to them about what a pain in the ass it is to deal with HMOs you realize their practice is pulling them at least $500,000 in personal income a year, despite all the headache. No one ever says a thing about how they enjoy their work, it's all money, money, money.
This post made me think that perhaps the reason I don't hear anyone say they wouldn't do it again is because I tend to stay away from these grump-asses as much as possible. Maybe I'm missing out on their perspective. On the other hand, I don't relate to them at all, so perhaps their misery doesn't apply to me.

Now I really want to do some sort of study to figure out the predictors of satisfaction in a medical career...

Members don't see this ad :)
Question:

Answer:

1. Balked at the cost.
2. Balked at the time commitment (come on, when you graduate college, you're looking at half your life before you can start practicing!).
3. Got married, had kids, got in debt, got chained to the $$-making job I had.
4. Turned 30.
So even at the start of your college years your one true dream in life was to practice medicine, but balking at the cost and the time commitment caused you to refrain?

I think we should all ask ourselves the question, "what would you do if you were independently wealthy?" If it really is true that you would become a doctor anyway, then by all means, go to med school. If not, it's not worth it.

Last edited:
If my mind and body (prayerfully) hold up, I desire to practice psychiatry until death....though I do plan on reducing my hours and take more vacations as I hit the retirement years :). I think that continuing to work during one's later years can help them stay mentally, physically and socially active....assuming that the job isn't overly strenuous or stressful.

So, personally, I don't think that age should be a factor in admissions. However, I do think that older applicants should be properly screened for health issues which might compromise the training process.

Last edited:
If my mind and body (prayerfully) hold up, I desire to practice psychiatry until death....though I do plan on reducing my hours and take more vacations as I hit the retirement years :). I think that continuing to work during one's later years can help them stay mentally, physically and socially active....assuming that the job isn't overly strenuous or stressful.

So, personally, I don't think that age should be a factor in admissions. However, I do think that older applicants should be properly screened for health issues which might compromise the training process.

Shouldn't all applicants be properly screened for health issues which might compromise the training process then?

What the heck is a "non-trad"? If you're not starting year 1 when you are 20, 21, or 22, you should pick another career path!

Hah, just kidding. I think a lot of the max age has to do with a persons finances and what kind of debt they will be left in after medical school. If you are a 50 year old with no savings and no financial assistance, you will probably be paying for everything with student loans. Say you rack up $300k in student loans over 8 years. Now you're 58 and are $300k in debt. You will probably have to work for 10 years just to pay off your loans (sorry if my numbers are off, but this is just how I imagine it will be for me; I'm 23). Now you're 68 and finally are out of debt. It's probably about time to retire or think about retiring at least.

I know it shouldn't be all about the money, but it is a pretty major consideration given the gigantic expense involved.

Shouldn't all applicants be properly screened for health issues which might compromise the training process then?

Yes, I agree that it's not fair to single out older applicants (though the DMV does!)

If you can't perform the activities required on the wards with reasonable accommodation, you get screened out. This doesn't generally impact nontrads as much as trads because there's a lot more self screening. If you are 45 and in bad health you probably don't throw yourself into an 80 hour per week call schedule setting. At 21 you might not have thought it all out yet, and may not appreciate your limitations. You can get a sense of this reading some of the threads in pre allo where several younger folks are suggesting that they aren't sure if they can function with less than 8 hours of sleep per night, and can't imagine working over 13 hours per day.

I'm 25. Graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience and Psychology...my shrink seems to think that if I'm not in med school by age 28 I might want to look else where >_>

And then there's this: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/mouse-aging-reversal/
What if by the time we're 90 we can choose to age, or not, or choose stay 65 forever, etc... I think there is too much we don't know, and I have met people in their 60s who will live another 20yrs and people in their 40s who may not live another 5...

There are guys in their 70s running marathons who could easily pass for guys in their early 40s. Just sayin'...

Reactions: 1 user
There is a CV surgeon in his late 60's on my floor all the time. He probably gets around better than me and I'm 24! If your mind and body are young, why not go to med school in your 50's?

There is a CV surgeon in his late 60's on my floor all the time. He probably gets around better than me and I'm 24! If your mind and body are young, why not go to med school in your 50's?

It's funny you mentioned that because I have a friend who just turned 25 and she acts like she's on her death bed. LOL

Here's some encouragement for those who may have gotten disheartened by this poll:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUtOPg_svww[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
What the heck is a "non-trad"? If you're not starting year 1 when you are 20, 21, or 22, you should pick another career path!

Hah, just kidding. I think a lot of the max age has to do with a persons finances and what kind of debt they will be left in after medical school. If you are a 50 year old with no savings and no financial assistance, you will probably be paying for everything with student loans. Say you rack up $300k in student loans over 8 years. Now you're 58 and are $300k in debt. You will probably have to work for 10 years just to pay off your loans (sorry if my numbers are off, but this is just how I imagine it will be for me; I'm 23). Now you're 68 and finally are out of debt. It's probably about time to retire or think about retiring at least.

I know it shouldn't be all about the money, but it is a pretty major consideration given the gigantic expense involved.

:eek:

It's funny you mentioned that because I have a friend who just turned 25 and she acts like she's on her death bed. LOL

Here's some encouragement for those who may have gotten disheartened by this poll:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUtOPg_svww[/YOUTUBE]

Dayum, I hope the non-trads at my school are just as photogenic! Remind me to sign up for a Gas rotation in San Diego in 2015. :love:

You know, that's a good way to put it.

All in all, it depends. If you are a "young" 45, then go for it. If you are an "old" 30, then you shouldn't.

I agree with everything you said, but only quoted the best part. I consider myself a "young" 45, and went to back to school in my late 30's. I had to work and didn't want to split my remaing time between school and kids. Now they're grown up and it's my turn. I have 20-somethngs in my orgo II class telling me why med school is stupid idea after 25. I guess they're too old to try it.

I agree with everything you said, but only quoted the best part. I consider myself a "young" 45, and went to back to school in my late 30's. I had to work and didn't want to split my remaing time between school and kids. Now they're grown up and it's my turn. I have 20-somethngs in my orgo II class telling me why med school is stupid idea after 25. I guess they're too old to try it.
I knew everything when I was 25. Made for a rocky next 20 years.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 25. Graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience and Psychology...my shrink seems to think that if I'm not in med school by age 28 I might want to look else where >_>

Please don't tell me they brought up neuroplasticity...

So even at the start of your college years your one true dream in life was to practice medicine, but balking at the cost and the time commitment caused you to refrain?

I think we should all ask ourselves the question, "what would you do if you were independently wealthy?" If it really is true that you would become a doctor anyway, then by all means, go to med school. If not, it's not worth it.

Minus the balk of time commitment, I never applied to medical school due to many factors of economic circumstance and lack of knowledge/resources. I was NEVER EVER given information about the process of becoming a doctor (and, yes, I always wanted to become a doctor). I went to a high school where the word PREP was never mentioned. I saught after college on my own (minus the help of others) and while in college had to take a pause to assist in caring for my family. In my mind it has always been my desire, but in life it was just not as realistic.

As for the wealth factor- I feel that as mature adults with many other responsibilities and commitments, it would be absolutely INSANE to make all these financial sacrifices just to get into medical school and not persevere and pursue on (if it truly is your passion). I totally understand your point, as they are very valid, but as we all know not everyone travels down the same yellow brick road.

And to answer your question, yes, I would definitely do it with or without the money. At this point in MY life it's definitely not about the money. I NEVER had it it like that anyway. :laugh: So, I definitely don't need to have tremendous wealth now.;)

Last edited:
Did you guys know that air traffic controllers, who also have a high stress job with many lives in their hands, are required to begin training prior to age 30, and to retire in the mid-late 50's?

Interesting, huh?

So that means that if I graduate at 50 and practice 25 or 30 years, retiring around 80, that I will be an unfit doctor? My dad retired at 82, and the average age of death in my family is over 90. I think the accounting would work. As long as I don't work for the government I should be able to work as long as I'm competent. :)

I'm 29 going on 30 and hopefully staring med school next year (at 30). I am crushed that there is currently 8 people who think my age would be too old to start med school. *Sigh*

This is just the beginning. I can imagine students who will be in my class, and they will be thinking what on earth I've been doing the past 10 years.

Part of me believes that traditional students think that non-trads are students who have repeated so many years of schooling that we have finally made it years later into the same class as the younger students. Hahah...I don't know how many of the traditional students actually see us as people who have had good jobs or our own businesses, and then just decide to try another route in the pursuit of happiness.

I'm 29 going on 30 and hopefully staring med school next year (at 30). I am crushed that there is currently 8 people who think my age would be too old to start med school. *Sigh*

This is just the beginning. I can imagine students who will be in my class, and they will be thinking what on earth I've been doing the past 10 years.

Part of me believes that traditional students think that non-trads are students who have repeated so many years of schooling that we have finally made it years later into the same class as the younger students. Hahah...I don't know how many of the traditional students actually see us as people who have had good jobs or our own businesses, and then just decide to try another route in the pursuit of happiness.

Same here. What life experience do the majority of 20-21 year olds who are applying to medical school have? Have they ever worked 60+ hours a week while making time to study for the MCAT, take classes, and still fulfill family obligations? Pay a mortgage? Do they know what it means to be a professional even in the most unprofessional situations? Have they ever worked for a boss younger than them? Yeah...I don't think so. How many 20-21 years old med students have had a full fledged career or ran a business?

I don't think there is an age limit to medical school- once a person is mentally and physically able then they should pursue whatever they want. I remember watching the Olympics a few weeks ago and there was a 37 year old female gymnast and a 43 year old male gymnast competing and they were just as competitive as the younger athletes.

Last edited:
I wish that they could be in my class. After working as a registered nurse for 30 years right beside MDs, I know the real deal. Nurses, at any age run like race horses 12 to 16 hours a day. I work with a 70 year old nurse right now who waits for no one. You young 'chickens' have a lot to learn and biochem is not on the list.

Last edited:
No age limit unless it is a biological age that reflects an inability to perform the work that is required.

I think we need to start telling those fit and healthy 70 somethings that they should just retire and prepare to die--regardless. .:rolleyes:

I mean, hey, why should they even bother getting out bed in the morning? Why are they even taking up space? I mean, aren't they "Soylent Green" material? :rolleyes:

"It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them! ":eek:

I said 41-45, but even 36-40 is pushing it. I know people like to say that "you're never too old to follow your dream!" but that's being unrealistic in an attempt to make someone feel better. In reality once you're in your 40s it's too late because you're going to be near retirement age by the time you start practicing. It's like "hey, congrats on your new career! Welp, time to retire!" This issue is further exacerbated if you want to go into a specialty with a long residency. Neurosurgery, for example, is effectively off-limits to anyone starting med school at such an old age (in fact, I believe you're not allowed to practice after a certain age, although I could be wrong about that since I've never looked into the surgical specialties too much.

There are practical issues too. It typically costs about $250,000 to attend medical school. If you had a retirement fund set up, you probably just wiped it out. Depending on how old you are, you may not be able to build your retirement fund up high enough again as a physician due to how short your career is. And god forbid something stops you from becoming a doctor, because then you've just royally screwed yourself over for nothing (while the obvious risk is failing out, depending on how old you are it's also very possible that health problems could arise that preclude you from finishing or practicing).

Basically this all boils down to "your career will be too short to be worth it".

Who is actually able to retire at age 50 these days?

One of my favorite conversations, missed it. Miss most things...I'm a doctor in training.

I thinks shyrem's insight is the key. Age is one aspect, but mileage is more revealing. Especially as the poopologists indicates, once the chips are down and you're paying the costs.

And when does the fighter ever recognize when s/he should hang it up. Why was Ali taking that many punches to the head in his last fights. He clearly missed the exit stage left que. as will all of you. You're scrappy go getters to a man .

I missed mine. And now realize I'm moving a little slow. Taking hits I would've slipped right by a decade a go. I can still do it. I can still use what I've learned from everything outside the classroom to make it. But not at the top levels, not as a surgeon.

My boss, the surgery chief, is a stud. A work horse of excellence. The dude has it man. Makes you want to dig deeper. A natural leader. And so I think to myself...that's how this **** should be done. And with some sadness I recognize my time for that type of sustained 80-100 hour rock n roll intensity has passed.

I can still do quality work. And am blessed to be interested in something that is manageable with my mileage. But...this whole poster-type climb a mountain run a race thing is a little suspect to me.

Aging to me has a whole range of benefits that are not as useful in surviving and excelling in medical training. Like...my world doesn't end as all of the natural insults of training flood in. And therefore my performance edge gets soft.

It like I'm finally starting to understand the lyrics to A whiter shade of pale. But nobody is pimping on that.

I'm only just lucky enough to have the demeanor or a good soldier, so that they don't notice my loss of quickness as readily.

And this type of ****.

Meaning, at 20, a lot if us thought 30 was old.

I just got this comment earlier this week, complete with the 23 yo backpedaling...

:smuggrin:

Damn kids get off my lawn!!!!!

Che Dude. Then what?

Abider, each person can only speak for herself or himself.

Here's to the Fatman!

Che Dude. Then what?

Abider, each person can only speak for herself or himself.

Here's to the Fatman!

Indeed. Aging is an individual process. And yes. They can always hurt you more per his fatness.

I think the "independently wealthy" question is an interesting one. I think it attempts to get at less conscious motivations for going into a career. In that sense, it seems like a good one. Is this question geared toward the training? As in, would you go through the training? Or is it geared toward the practice? I think there are very few independently wealthy people who would knowingly subject themselves to the intensity of the training. But I would guess there are a good number who would enjoy the practice. However, I wonder if it's fair to say that the other considerations that people make when choosing a career--conscious and less conscious-- are irrelevant. I would think the practical benefits (job security, salary, etc) are just as important, but not good enough by themselves. Most of us don't have the option to try to write a novel or to play golf everyday. We have to do something, and this seems like the best option. In addition, I know physicians who enjoy their jobs and wouldn't do anything else for work, but they'd definitely quit if they won the lottery.

I think the "independently wealthy" question is an interesting one. I think it attempts to get at less conscious motivations for going into a career. In that sense, it seems like a good one. Is this question geared toward the training? As in, would you go through the training? Or is it geared toward the practice? I think there are very few independently wealthy people who would knowingly subject themselves to the intensity of the training. But I would guess there are a good number who would enjoy the practice. However, I wonder if it's fair to say that the other considerations that people make when choosing a career--conscious and less conscious-- are irrelevant. I would think the practical benefits (job security, salary, etc) are just as important, but not good enough by themselves. Most of us don't have the option to try to write a novel or to play golf everyday. We have to do something, and this seems like the best option. In addition, I know physicians who enjoy their jobs and wouldn't do anything else for work, but they'd definitely quit if they won the lottery.
Part of my motivation for going through with this process actually stems from an interview for a different job. The interviewer made some comment about "Well, I guess if you won the lottery, you'd become a lifelong student collecting PhD's" and my instantaneous impromtu reply was "Actually, I'd go to medical school."

Dude I can live w that question. It's not a ? for Adcoms to applicants, b/c some % of applicants will totally BS this ?. It's a good, soul-searching kind of ? for each applicant.

Hello,
I would like to comment on your post. I too am out of the "normal" application age for medical students. I will be taking the mcat again for an anticipated matriculation in 2014. I am 49 and do not use this as a limiting factor. I believe in myself, my goals and foremost the passion to serve the poor. Thank you for your post. I wish you the best.

spencer

I marked "it depends." As long as medical school will not deprive a person of something more important, then by all means go for it!

I value the lives of individuals. So if it's your dream to be a doctor, you should do it, even if it's the last thing you do, even if you can't be a doctor for very long. Sure there's the aspect of benefiting society versus the investment of becoming a doctor - but there's also you and your one precious life!

On the other hand, it is possible for medical school to get in the way of things like having kids and accumulating wealth. That be the case, you have to choose. This can become a reality for people as soon as you or your wife gets to be thirty.

Last edited:
Hello,
I would like to comment on your post. I too am out of the "normal" application age for medical students. I will be taking the mcat again for an anticipated matriculation in 2014. I am 49 and do not use this as a limiting factor. I believe in myself, my goals and foremost the passion to serve the poor. Thank you for your post. I wish you the best.

spencer
Spencer,

I am about your age, 50 to be exact, and still hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I'm currently working as an RN, but getting a little discouraged at this point. I still have to take the MCAT and my overall gpa at a community college is currently 3.3. I was wondering if you've had any luck getting accepted anywhere and have any words of encouragement.

Spencer,

I am about your age, 50 to be exact, and still hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I'm currently working as an RN, but getting a little discouraged at this point. I still have to take the MCAT and my overall gpa at a community college is currently 3.3. I was wondering if you've had any luck getting accepted anywhere and have any words of encouragement.

Wow. I applaud your aspirations. Just wondering, if you start your career at ~60 how long would you plan to practice for? Have you saved money to pay for school without loans?

My own recommendation would be to draw the line at 50.

Some of my all-time best students were in their 30s and 40s. I recently graduated one at 50. Our oldest student ever was 53 at matriculation.

My own recommendation would be to draw the line at 50.

Some of my all-time best students were in their 30s and 40s. I recently graduated one at 50. Our oldest student ever was 53 at matriculation.

This is interesting. Do you think this is even more true at allopathic schools? IOW, do you feel that it would be impossible or nearly so for students in the age ranges stated above to get into an allopathic program, even if their stats and applications were stellar?

Also, since you teach at an osteopathic ms, are you finding this to be just as true at such schools?

Finally, what is the rationale you give for this?

Thank you Goro for your perspective and insight.

LOL, just noticed that this was an "old" thread. ;)

haven't a clue as to what Allo schools do. I recall someone posting a thread that a 60ish person matriculated in a CA MD school, maybe UCLA or USC. For some people, age really is a mere number.

Overall, if the Adcom thinks that you can handle med school and that you will make a good doctor, they'll ignore age.

This is interesting. Do you think this is even more true at allopathic schools? IOW, do you feel that it would be impossible or nearly so for students in the age ranges stated above to get into an allopathic program, even if their stats and applications were stellar?

Also, since you teach at an osteopathic ms, are you finding this to be just as true at such schools?

Finally, what is the rationale you give for this?

Thank you Goro for your perspective and insight.

Last edited:
haven't a clue as to what Allo schools do. I recall someone posting a thread that a 60ish person matriculated in a CA MD school, maybe UCLA or USC. For some people, age really is a mere number.

Overall, if the Adcom thinks that you can handle med school and that you will make a good doctor, they'll ignore age.

TY for your reply. All ages of people and where they are--how how they may vary within groups on the developmental spectrum interests me. I mean there are some children that totally blow my mind in terms of how they see and relate to people and things on a level of maturity above where their cohorts are. Nature, nurture, some combo of both? Who knows?

And then there is the whole chronological versus biological age issue that is related to telomere length and methylation of DNA, etc.
Somewhat OT, but truly fascinating stuff.

practicing medicine is not like playing in the nfl or nba where you are clearly done by age 40. even mj was brought back down to earth by father time. if your brain is sharp, and you can at least keep your body somewhat healthy, you can definitely practice all the way into your 70s (at least internal medicine). i read a story a few months back about a doc who practices out of his car in a small town in america because his patients cannot come to him. there was some problem/issue with that but anyway, this guy was old and active and i assume he had kept up with medical journals and basic practicing principles.

the limit i would give it would not be a number but a person, case by case. most of this is determined by genetics, some of it by just pure luck or happenstances of life. i can ask the reverse q. how young is too young to be a doc.? would you let doogie practice on you (yeah that fake doc kid on doogie howser)? it all depends on his training, his exposure to the medical issue, and maturity. in an older doc., same thing except now his or her body is breaking down a bit, but what about the brain? if it's working just as well as age 50s, then why not? i know reflexes diminish with age as well as body control but i am talking general docs. doing basic stuff (basic procedures like injecting botox, giving vaccines, determining if you have glaucoma, etc.), not major surgery.

off topic - there's a doc down here in brooklyn, ny who is an ophthalmologist. every single time i saw him (i don't live near him anymore), i shuddered because he was a nice skinny guy but he had a real potbelly (as if he had a baby in there). now imagine if he keeps that up another decade? we all know that every inch of abdominal fat adds that much % to your heart attack risk. if he can keep his body sharp, and his brain just happens to continue working well, and he keeps on top of developments in his field, he can practice into his 70s? why not?

Last edited:
practicing medicine is not like playing in the nfl or nba where you are clearly done by age 40. even mj was brought back down to earth by father time. if your brain is sharp, and you can at least keep your body somewhat healthy, you can definitely practice all the way into your 70s (at least internal medicine). i read a story a few months back about a doc who practices out of his car in a small town in america because his patients cannot come to him. there was some problem/issue with that but anyway, this guy was old and active and i assume he had kept up with medical journals and basic practicing principles.

the limit i would give it would not be a number but a person, case by case. most of this is determined by genetics, some of it by just pure luck or happenstances of life. i can ask the reverse q. how young is too young to be a doc.? would you let doogie practice on you (yeah that fake doc kid on doogie howser)? it all depends on his training, his exposure to the medical issue, and maturity. in an older doc., same thing except now his or her body is breaking down a bit, but what about the brain? if it's working just as well as age 50s, then why not?

There is truth in what you say; but I still contend that even for the above average middle-ager, choosing surgery is going to be tough in numerous ways. I think that area is much like playing in the NBA or NFL IMHO. Some people will be able to suck up ED for a while after residency in middle age; but when you read the younger Emergency docs talking about exit strategies in their 30's and 40's, well, you have to take that into consideration. I think one has to be realistic regarding the field he or she thinks she/he would be entering. You won't necessarily know enough until you go through clerkships. I temper my optimism w/ my experience as surgical intensive care recovery nurse and other similar roles as a RN--and the fact that I have worked a lot of busy, teaching centers. I'd love anesthesia as well; but I am not sure that would be the best route for me at this point. Having spent some time now in community health nursing along with other kinds of nursing, I like the connection with people over the long haul. What I grapple with is pediatrics; b/c I love peds as well as working with adult patients.

Let me say, kudos to ANY ONE at ANY AGE who does surgery. My small taste during my weeks of surgical core were enough to completely and utterly annihilate any inkling of me wanting to go into a surgical field. It is probably the most miserable experience of medical school. Waking up at 4:30 being at the hospital by 5. Rounding on pt's at 5:30, getting hammered at rounds at 6:15-6:30 (getting berated is bad enough, but before 7 is a whole new level). In the OR at 7:30 to stand for 3-8 hrs (depending on the surgery), maybe get something similar to lunch but not always, possibly back in for more surgeries. Out of the OR at 4. Maybe stupid clinic, or maybe more rounding before Night Float shows up. Home at 7-ish, you hope. Hopefully your stomach can prompt you to eat over your own need to sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat. I did that for weeks, I can't imagine doing that for years!

Now be 40 or 50??? ****, you'll be on the OR table or at least the floor before the end of the 1st year. UNLESS, you are truly hopelessly passionate about being a surgeon. And MAYBE your mind is stronger than your body. I couldn't challenge myself like that for years.

Anywho, it becomes a bit more doable in a less strenuous specialty. The older folks I know did IM and there's more mind/intellect than physical stress in IM. Surgery is a whole other ball of wax tho. You find traditional grads who eke through it. Like I said, a 45 yo matching that???? Best of luck to that person!!

Less tangentially, I did pick 51-60. You should be pondering retirement, playing w/ grandkids, or doing cool **** you saved up all your life to do (i.e. - travel the world, etc). Don't be setting yourself up for a path that will take you 7 years to finish! Odds are you'll probably live to 78 and you went through what you go through in med school for like 11 years of practice - and NOT be retired???? BAHHHHHHHH!