How old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharmanderMD

Lvl 15
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some practice tests and obviously some of the older editions of books are quite cheaper than the most recent versions. My question is at what point do you think the tests are just too old to be helpful in preparing for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to buy some practice tests and obviously some of the older editions of books are quite cheaper than the most recent versions. My question is at what point do you think the tests are just too old to be helpful in preparing for the MCAT?

if you want to really save money, i would say anything after 2008 is good... remember to get the official topic list from AAMC website .. where/how you learn them is up to you really .. good luck

The current computer based MCAT started in 2007, so anything from 2007 forward is fine.

The basic structure of bio sci / phys sci / verbal has been around since 1991 so you could theoretically get practice materials that are 22 years old and still get some useful practice from them. I'd recommend against it, though, since there have been enough tweaks and stylistic changes that those really old materials will give you a slightly "off" sense of the test.

If you're concerned about cost, there's a LOT of good free stuff out there: wikipremed, mcat-review.org, mcatforme, wikipedia, khan academy, aamc outlines and Test 3, couple of MCAT question-of-the-day sites, free practice tests from KTP/TPR, etc.