how old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rltruong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the whole waiting period is affecting my psychological side. im currently 26 years old and this is the first year i am applying to PT schools. I've read that the average age is around 24. Its not like it took me a long time to get through undergraduate. i finished undergrad when i was 22 and took 2 years off just traveling and working and now i have a masters degree.

so just want to throw the question out there. how old is too old to go to PT school. realistic answers

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 31 and starting this summer. I work with a couple other therapists that started when they were my age and one that was 37 when she went through. One of those therapists also told me that when he went to Chapel Hill they had a guy that was 51. I have also meet a current student when I visited the school that I'm going to that was in her lower 40's. I'm guessing there's not an age limit or at least I don't think so.

plenty of people starting at 26 or older. Go for it with confidence!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who wants to be a PT I think it is fine to apply at any age. My class is pretty diverse in age. Some students went directly from undergrad but others took a year or 2 off, and still others are in their early 30s with PT as their second profession.

You are hardly old. As long as you are physically, mentally able there is not such this as too old in my opinion. I am 27 taking pre-reqs and wont be able to apply for 2 years. I will be 29 when I start if everything goes well. And 32 when i am done.

I am 28 and starting PT school this summer.. I also have a Masters but am changing careers so have been taking preregs for the past 6 months. We are still young and have many years ahead of us!!! Go for it!!

Many students graduated from university, worked for a few years, then decided to do something else. Changing careers is not uncommon these days. I'm 26 and I'd say 40-50% my class is older than I am. You're definitely not too old. Our generation can expect to work until were 70-80, with higher taxes and fewer entitlements too.

Kevin

Hey Rtruong,
I'm 26 as well, I'll be 27 by the time PT programs begin in the summer. But don't let it worry you. My boss, a PT, began college as a 33 year old freshman. With age comes wisdom and experience that can only benefit you and the younger classmates (assuming they are willing to glean knowledge from you). Be encouraged that you aren't too old. I know a lady who went to Med school at 45. You are never too old. Best of luck! Peace and God bless

I think you get the point from the other posts, but just to add on, I just finished my applications and I'm 30. It's almost comical to be worried about being too old at 26. That being said I probably would have had the same concerns when I was 26, but a few more years of life experience have taught me how silly that is.

As for how old is too old, well, aside from it being prudent to be able to work enough years to repay a large investment in education, it's really never too late to go after what you are passionate about.

If having a Master's Degree at 26 is old then call me Methusela. I'm 30 and I just got my Bachelor Degree this past summer. You took 2 years off of school but you went through your undergrad and masters with no bumps. I spent 6 years in a 2 year college because I went through half a major, decided it wasn't what I wanted to do, basically took a year off to think and work and switched majors before getting my Associates Degree, then I worked for 4 years before returning to get my Bachelor degree. And here i am today. Throughout my college career I have been in classes with students of all ages, some in their 40s and 50s. I don't think I ever had a class where I was the oldest person in the class. I remember when I was working as a Physical Therapist Assistant at 26 years old and one of the employees told me that she had varicose veins older than I was lol

I am also 31 and starting next summer (May 2013). I have both a bachelor's and a Master's degree and within the last year decided I needed a major career change. I was attracted to the challenge of PT, especially working in peds -- so I got out there and volunteered, took the last few classes I need and applied for early admission ( got my acceptance just before thanksgiving). It is totally possible - you are DEFINITELY not too old!

Good luck!

I believe the saying is true..."age is nothing but a number". I don't think that's old at all. I've heard of much older applicants that did it and that just gives me more inspiration! At first I was discouraged when I thought by the time I apply to PT school I'll be 25 or 26, but now I don't really care! I had to take 3 years off after I graduated high school to take care of my mother, who was diagnosed with MS while I was in HS, before finally starting college again this upcoming Spring. I'm excited and looking forward to when the time FINALLY comes for me to apply. Keep your head up and keep pushing for your dream.

Pfffttt :).... I'm 53 and started my DPT this Fall. This will be my 4th career - take a look at my profile.

If I may give some advice: be flexible in your career, the days of working in one narrow field for 30 years are long over. Besides, would you really want to be in the same rut for such a long time? Never stop adding to your skills because that's the only thing that will stay with you and can't be taken away.

Replied to another non trad thread. Great to hear all these great stories. I've been told through all of this that age is nothing more than a number. Im 33 probably won't start DPT until 34 or 35.

Have a friend just became an RN at the age of 40 probably going to pursue practioner, he was a college professor.
Still plenty of time for everyone

I'll give it to you from another perspective. I will be 22 when I go to PT school and I almost feel too young! Still a little wet behind the ears lol.