How Pharmacits pick up extra shifts (overtime) CVS/WALGREENS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Pharmacist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still a pharmacy student and I need to understand how a pharmacist at CVS or Walgreens pick up open shifts in his store or other stores to collect extra hours. is it the pharmacist choice to choose the shifts or is it assigned to him by someone else?

FOR EXAMPLE: if a pharmacist who works full-time 40 hours a week and he needs the money for whatever reason (loans, mortgage....etc) and want to work 60 hours a week:
  1. can the pharmacist log in to a specific database or something and pick up open shifts in other stores?
  2. and if yes is there any restrictions for how many hours the pharmacist can pick up?
  3. or how many miles away the store should be?

I hope to find some reliable answers from pharmacists at CVS and Walgreens in this matter. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You can work as much as they need and as much as you are willing to (often more). I get emails like the following every 2-4 weeks (locations removed so you can't find me :wacky:...but they're all less than an hour from each other):

Below is a list of the open shifts for the region for the next few days, as you can see there are many. We’re hoping you could send the list to your Rph’s and ask for their help. Thanks much!!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

1:00

PM

10:00

PM

Thursday, June 26, 2014

6:00

PM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

3:00

PM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

12:00

PM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

9:00

AM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

8:00

AM

4:00

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

2:00

PM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

AM

2:00

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

PM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

AM

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

AM

4:00

PM

Friday, June 27, 2014

11:00

AM

PM

Saturday, June 28, 2014

12:00

PM

PM

Saturday, June 28, 2014

AM

PM

Saturday, June 28, 2014

AM

PM

Sunday, June 29, 2014

AM

PM

Sunday, June 29, 2014

PM

PM

Sunday, June 29, 2014

AM

PM

Sunday, June 29, 2014

AM

PM

Monday, June 30, 2014

AM

3:00

PM

Monday, June 30, 2014

5:00

PM

PM

Monday, June 30, 2014

AM

5:00

PM

You can work as much as they need and as much as you are willing to (often more). I get emails like the following every 2-4 weeks (locations removed so you can't find me :wacky:...but they're all less than an hour from each other):

Thank you. and what about the pay for above 40 hours/week. is it one and half or just an extra few dollars?
is that for CVS or Walgreens?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on where you work, in some districts there is only overtime during Summer. Other districts have no overtime at all. As more students are pumped out the opportunities for overtime will decrease.

It depends on where you work, in some districts there is only overtime during Summer. Other districts have no overtime at all. As more students are pumped out the opportunities for overtime will decrease.

what states i should expect a good amount of overtime? what about California or Texas

can you plan on getting 2 extra shifts ( 16 hours) every week. or sometimes there are no shifts?
Depends. Right now you can get 7 extra shifts a week because its August. In February when few people take vacation, you likely will get none. If you really want to work more, get a per diem job in another practice area.

Depends. Right now you can get 7 extra shifts a week because its August. In February when few people take vacation, you likely will get none. If you really want to work more, get a per diem job in another practice area.

How does the per diem job works? is different schedule every week! is it only in hospitals?

Overtime is just a few bucks extra. Plus another few bucks if it's an overnight shift.
The time and a half overtime I think is for the techs.

You want reliable income based on OT. It won't happen. OT is very irregular. Get a part time job.

I used to make $240k for a couple years; but, now I have 0 OT; thanks for massive in flux of new graduates (as floater, they can't even get full time hours LOL). My low expenses in CA ($1k/mo), and extreme frugality habit during the first 5 years of working and saving minimum 5-10k/month set me up for life. So, even if I don't have overtime anymore, I still pull in ~200k (base income + investment income).

If you depend on OT, some times you have 60 hours extra shifts in a week, most of the time you will have 0 or 8 hours. If you based your lifestyle (mortgage/loan/etc) on unreliable sources of income (OT), you will be screwed 75% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You want reliable income based on OT. It won't happen. OT is very irregular. Get a part time job.

I used to make $240k for a couple years; but, now I have 0 OT; thanks for massive new graduates. My low expenses in CA ($1k/mo), and extreme frugality habit during the first 5 years saving minimum 5-10k/month, set me up for life, so even if I don't have overtime anymore I still pull in ~200k (base income + investment income).

If you depend on OT, some times you have 60 hours extra shifts in a week, most of the time you will have 0 or 8 hours. If you based your lifestyle (mortgage/loan/etc) on unreliable sources of income (OT), you will be screwed 75% of the time.

Is it possible to work in two different stores for the same company for example CVS store 1 full-time and CVS store 2 Part-time. of course if the shifts do not overlap.
Thank you for your detailed answer.

Is it possible to work in two different stores for the same company for example CVS store 1 full-time and CVS store 2 Part-time. of course if the shifts do not overlap.
Thank you for your detailed answer.

No, you have to work for another company. Payroll does not make you having a different employee # by working at another store.

Last edited:
is it posii
No, you have to work for another company. Payroll does not make you having a different employee # by working at another store.

is possible to work for CVS and Walgreens or that is illegal? or CVS - Walmart ?

Not illegal. Just against policy. Keep your mouth shut, and it'll be fine.

I do not recommend this. It's a small world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want overtime, just send a email to your DM stating that if there is any available to put you at the top of the list to call!

Plenty of open shifts available at Walgreens in some of the rural areas of Florida right now. Basically, the less desirable the area, the more open shifts there are. But when you volunteer, you will not get paid mileage. Also, overtime here only pays base rate + $10/hr which generally makes the company more likely to use it.

You just log in to the market scheduling system and volunteer for the shifts that you want as long as you are free on that day. Also convey to the scheduler and your supervisor your eagerness to do OT so they'll call you... a lot!

But I wouldn't rely on OT to meet a long term budget. Sometimes there is no OT for months, or even years. So I only use OT for discretionary spending. No OT, then I won't buy it.

If I want overtime all I have to do not say no to the district scheduler. I think my overtime is an extra $5 an hour. I do I get paid mileage for travel though.

At CVS: this time of year you'll get 24 hours (FT) + sick calls (if any) because grad interns are getting their license ----- then when it gets to April/May/June you'll get overtime because people will be quitting and they'll need coverage. Repeat cycle starting July/August.

At CVS: this time of year you'll get 24 hours (FT) + sick calls (if any) because grad interns are getting their license ----- then when it gets to April/May/June you'll get overtime because people will be quitting and they'll need coverage. Repeat cycle starting July/August.

My district lost more people than it gained, lol. We have sooo many open shifts right now. We have some people on medical LOA right now and I guess that makes it tough to do anything about all these openings.

What did you mean by "you'll get 24 hours (FT)" I thought full time positions is 40/42 hours. 24 hours will be part-time.

I don't know about other states, but in CA, 24 hours is considered FT and eligible for benefits at CVS. You'll most likely will not get 40 hours unless you are PIC or staff.

What did you mean by "you'll get 24 hours (FT)" I thought full time positions is 40/42 hours. 24 hours will be part-time.

24 hours is FT in CA because it used to be Longs policy, I think. It's 30 hours elsewhere.

can you plan on getting 2 extra shifts ( 16 hours) every week. or sometimes there are no shifts?
You need a set schedule, like 7 on/7 off or weekends only or 12 hours shifts on particular days of the week, to be able to do this consistently every week. Otherwise, you'll be picking up shifts much more randomly and only whenever they need a shift covered since you won't be available on a regular basis.

I think this is the best way to get extra shifts, but you won't get overtime if you're working for a totally different company. Since the chains don't really pay overtime anymore, CVS and Walgreens for sure, overtime pay and rates significantly above what you already make are a nonissue with them (except in California). Other areas where you get paid hourly instead of salary would get you true overtime. They pay overtime at the hospital where I work, but they want to avoid paying overtime like the plague.

How does the per diem job works? is different schedule every week! is it only in hospitals?
You can work part-time anywhere that'll hire you on as a part-time employee, and you work as you are needed. Again, it's a different schedule if they decide to schedule you that way. It benefits both you and the company more if you can arrange a set schedule with them, like working every Monday and Wednesday, but you can't do that until you have a set schedule at your full-time job.

Overtime is just a few bucks extra. Plus another few bucks if it's an overnight shift.
The time and a half overtime I think is for the techs.
This applies to the major chains like CVS and Walgreens.

I used to make $240k for a couple years; but, now I have 0 OT; thanks for massive in flux of new graduates (as floater, they can't even get full time hours LOL). My low expenses in CA ($1k/mo), and extreme frugality habit during the first 5 years of working and saving minimum 5-10k/month set me up for life. So, even if I don't have overtime anymore, I still pull in ~200k (base income + investment income).

Yeah. It's fun to calculate what you would make if you worked this or that number of hours in overtime each week, but it's just not realistic to rely on a specified amount of overtime income anymore.

I've been working two jobs for a while now, and it's ruining the finer domestic skills that I might have had before becoming a workaholic. Maybe I should take a home ec class? LOL

After I get off from work, I just want to go home and relax. Like I don't want to go to the store or go shopping or anything extra. I don't want to address big projects or hobby stuff anymore either. It's kind of sad, but it's life. And honestly, I probably won't see the "fruits of my labor" unless I have kids and can pass a nice life on to them.

So OP, if you're comfortable giving up your youth, which you can't get back, just be sure that you have a purpose or a goal behind the madness, because you don't wont to work like a maniac forever. Or maybe you don't want to work at all once you've made the money that you want to make... ;)

LOL
I can't get overtime. In California, CVS won't allow you to work 7 days straight, only 6 days max in a row. It was due to a lawsuit by an Overnight RPH. Now he owns his own pharmacy.
Mass punishment, no?!

Last edited:
Why not look into a PRN job with local hospitals? I pay mine (a texas metro) $65 an hr, 1.5x for major holidays, and you pick up expirence and network that allows you to get out of retail when that time comes.

I think this is the best way to get extra shifts, but you won't get overtime if you're working for a totally different company. Since the chains don't really pay overtime anymore, CVS and Walgreens for sure, overtime pay and rates significantly above what you already make are a nonissue with them (except in California). Other areas where you get paid hourly instead of salary would get you true overtime. They pay overtime at the hospital where I work, but they want to avoid paying overtime like the plague.

In California you get paid salary? one of my friends graduated last year and she got a job in California for 63/hour FT. so i thought it is hourly. that was in a smaller town, about 2 hours from a San Diego.

In California you get paid salary? one of my friends graduated last year and she got a job in California for 63/hour FT. so i thought it is hourly. that was in a smaller town, about 2 hours from a San Diego.
Hourly overtime is mandatory in California, according to what members have said in the past on this website, but it's not like elsewhere. In other states, you only make a few more dollars per hour whenever you work overtime for CVS or Walgreens.

I make 1.5x ot as a pic for a major chain in CA. After 12hr it goes to 2x

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If a pharmacist work more than 40 hours per week, does he/she get 1.5x pay or the same rate as he/she will be getting if working regular hours? In TX?
Also, do pharmacists get paid for orientation and first week training??

Last edited:

Wut? How is that even possible? How long have u been working as a pharmacist?

Last edited:
If a pharmacist work more than 40 hours per week, does he/she get 1.5x pay or the same rate as he/she will be getting if working regular hours? In TX?
Also, do pharmacists get paid for orientation and first week training??

At wag its rate +$10 for ot and yes you get paid during training.

Wow, it seems like Rite aid sucks then. we do not get paid any extra for working overtime. Not even if you work all 14 days in one pay period. Also, if you are not scheduled to work on holidays and you still have to work or volunteered to work, you will still get same pay as you would be working any other business day. No extra pay.....

Last edited:
I can't get overtime. In California, CVS won't allow you to work 7 days straight, only 6 days max in a row. It was due to a lawsuit by an Overnight RPH. Now he owns his own pharmacy.

What type of schedule do overnight retail pharmacists work in California for the major chains? My understanding was that graveyard pharmacists at most CVS locations work 7x12 hrs/ 7 off, and graveyard pharmacists at Walgreens work 7x10 hrs/ 7 off. Is the schedule different in California? Also, what type of schedule do full and part-time overnight floaters usually work?

How did you plan your meals when you were being extremely frugal?

Did you buy fresh groceries every week and cook your own meals, or eat out more? If you were eating out, which place is cheap and relatively healthier?

This is only for hourly, right? Not for the salaried pharmacists?

Salary too, it just got lowered to +$5 I believe though. So if you go over your base hours (80 for staff) it will be +$5 even though your salary.

My sup always texts me last minute while I'm on vacation and begs me to cover last minute sick calls, or vacations that they never found coverage for. You'd think that they would have enough floaters with the surplus of unemployed pharmacists out there. I decline most of the time and rarely take on the extra shifts, I like having a life outside of work.