how "practical" does one have to be to excel in OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prodigiousflame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
um nevermind then.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just asked how great I have to be with my hands in order to do well in OT. I'm not especially crafty, mechanical or anything like that. My characteristics are that I'm a people person, like to connect, like my work to have meaning, and enjoy seeing people improve but I'm worried that I have to be a super practical person to be a great therapist. I had 150 views and no responses so I ended up deleting my post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just asked how great I have to be with my hands in order to do well in OT. I'm not especially crafty, mechanical or anything like that. My characteristics are that I'm a people person, like to connect, like my work to have meaning, and enjoy seeing people improve but I'm worried that I have to be a super practical person to be a great therapist. I had 150 views and no responses so I ended up deleting my post.

Sometimes people look at the post to see what the whole story is. You shouldn't delete your post after only a couple of days because you might actually get an answer from those with experience. I wish I could answer with 100% certainty but I'm applying to OT (so not 100% sure) but so far based on my shadowing I'd say you don't necessarily have to be practical but you do have to be detail oriented because you have to write notes on the patients you see and you need to give details.

I agree with OTdream, but would like to add the most important trait is being a caring person and people orientated b/c patients are there to see you and an hour at a clip. If they don't feel you care about them, then the facility loses a customer and they go find another OT. Unlike Drs. who only spend about 3 minutes with a patient, people generally put up with a poor patient care dr. vs. a poor patient care OT. I think the inventiveness will come with experience, you have to be somewhat resourceful. Believe me when I was an art major there was plenty of unartistic people in art class who made it through! The important thing is to just keep working at it!

If you work with disabled children, pediatric field, then you probably have to be a little creative in order to make the children engage in the exercises or activities. However, there are usually many toys, things that already there in the therapy room for you to find something that you can work with the children.

If you work with the elderly in nursing home, you don't have to worry about crafting, mechanic things, just them them relieve pain, do hand exercises, help them with walking and stuffs.

Go get some observation hrs then you will know.!!

I disagree completely. I have shadowed in almost every setting conceivable with every population you can think of and I don't think there was ever a place or time that didn't require you to be crafty or creative.

I just finished shadowing at a Rehab Center at a hospital and the OTs often did projects specifically tailored to the patient. If they were into nature, they made flower pots and planted things. If they liked to cook, they might make something in the kitchen. You can decide not to do these things but it will be noticeable and you will be bored.

I disagree completely. I have shadowed in almost every setting conceivable with every population you can think of and I don't think there was ever a place or time that didn't require you to be crafty or creative.

I just finished shadowing at a Rehab Center at a hospital and the OTs often did projects specifically tailored to the patient. If they were into nature, they made flower pots and planted things. If they liked to cook, they might make something in the kitchen. You can decide not to do these things but it will be noticeable and you will be bored.

That sounds like a good experience and great place to shadow. Where was it if you don't mind me asking?

I would think you do have to be creative and crafty and have some skill in this or willing to develop that skill.