How realistic is overcoming a low GPA with a postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Letrie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How realistic is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have lots of time. Upper level sciences are a little easier than pre-reqs in my opinion, since the grading and curves aren't as harsh. Just do well in the rest of your classes and kill the MCAT. The MCAT should be a good indicator of your success in med school. From what little experience I have on SDN, I think the most important part of becoming a doctor is doing well in "medical school", not "getting into medical school". So, all those people who cut corners and stuff are doing themselves a disservice. Think about post-baccs after junior year if your grades are still bad.

Last edited:
You have lot's of time. Upper level sciences are a little easier than pre-reqs in my opinion, since the grading and curves aren't as harsh. Just do well in the rest of your classes and kill the MCAT. The MCAT should be a good indicator of your success in med school. From what little experience I have on SDN, I think the most important part of becoming a doctor is doing well in "medical school", not "getting into medical school". So, all those people who cut corners and stuff are doing themselves a disservice. Think about post-baccs after junior year if your grades are still bad.

Nice username.

I'm with Dopamine - you still have plenty of time and if you work hard. If do nail that ~3.4 GPA and a solid MCAT score (shoot for 32 or better) there is no reason that MD school wouldn't be an option (or DO with an MCAT of 28-29 or better). Now is a good time to make sure you are working on your ECs as well!