How representative is Next Step 1/2 length free diagnostic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmthw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How representative is Next Step's diagnostic 1/2 length in terms of the way the questions are written and level of difficulty?

Members don't see this ad.

Took it last year and i do'nt know if it has changed since then, but it was pretty spot on. the bio/biochem was a bit easier than the AAMC sample test and their own full length exams, but that could have been sicne it was so short. psych and CArs was tough though, bit tougher than the real thing. passages and q got the feel of the aamc, and it was harder than the aamc question pack material.

overall id say it was a very good exam, better than much of the free stuff out there (esp Khan). take it early on, but remember that its such a shrot test, it wont really diagnose your science skills, only your mcat skills like passage reading, thought processes for questions.

Careful tho, the NS 1/2 length has many questions taken from AAMC OG, just reworded a bit. NS1 was pretty good imo.

Careful tho, the NS 1/2 length has many questions taken from AAMC OG, just reworded a bit. NS1 was pretty good imo.
i think that was before my time, by the time I took it in summer 2015, it had been overhauled and i didnt see any similarities beyond some topics on a passage or two. I know the revamped their exams again for 2016, have you taken the "new" diagnostic? Free is Free, can't hurt to take.

Do you think it's better than the full length NS tests?
No way. no FREE 1/2 test will be better quality than the $X full length exams. i'd say they are similar, but more effort clearly went into the Fl exams to make them aamc like, challenging, and fully explained.