How serious is the time commitment for a medical scribe job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I only have experience with one company but I think a lot of them allow a one year commitment if you're going to do full time. Honestly, I don't think it's a huge deal if you read what you're signing and make sure you don't get into some kind of binding contract. The offer letter that I signed said that it is an "at will employment" with no other strings attached so it's more of a courtesy to stay rather than a requirement. I personally left 2 days after getting the job because I got a better job offer elsewhere and they didn't sue me or anything. Letters might be a different story though.

In terms of how it looks to the admissions committee, I have had some interviewers ask me if my company knows that I'll be leaving in a year so you want to be honest in case they decide to cross reference. I doubt that quitting a job will affect your application status though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The scribe company I work for requires one year full time or two years part time. I knew going in that if I was accepted this cycle, I would probably be a month or two shy of the 2 years and they didn't have a problem with it. However, a guy hired the same time as I quit after less than a year (part time), and I know for a fact that because of this, the physicians would not give a LOR (and neither would the company). Also, while they aren't out to sabotage this guy, our chief scribe said that if anyone ever called for a reference, he would basically tell them that he was a decent employee, but left well before his time commitment was up. I'd imagine that doesn't look too good.

I wouldn't go into the job knowing you'll be breaking the commitment. In my experience, the job provided me not only with great experience, but some of the best LOR's ever. The docs know me well, and were able to give a much better LOR than someone I shadowed a couple times for 15 hours, if you get my drift. Be honest upfront, and they may accommodate. I let them know not only that I would possibly only be there 21-22 months, but also that I was newly pregnant at the time of my interview (like 8 weeks along), and that I'd have to take a couple months off after the baby was born. I still got the job. Honesty is the best policy.

The scribe company I work for requires one year full time or two years part time. I knew going in that if I was accepted this cycle, I would probably be a month or two shy of the 2 years and they didn't have a problem with it. However, a guy hired the same time as I quit after less than a year (part time), and I know for a fact that because of this, the physicians would not give a LOR (and neither would the company). Also, while they aren't out to sabotage this guy, our chief scribe said that if anyone ever called for a reference, he would basically tell them that he was a decent employee, but left well before his time commitment was up. I'd imagine that doesn't look too good.

I wouldn't go into the job knowing you'll be breaking the commitment. In my experience, the job provided me not only with great experience, but some of the best LOR's ever. The docs know me well, and were able to give a much better LOR than someone I shadowed a couple times for 15 hours, if you get my drift. Be honest upfront, and they may accommodate. I let them know not only that I would possibly only be there 21-22 months, but also that I was newly pregnant at the time of my interview (like 8 weeks along), and that I'd have to take a couple months off after the baby was born. I still got the job. Honesty is the best policy.

My company has the same policy with LORs. I agree, it's not a good idea to take a job knowing that you're planning on breaking the time commitment unless you discuss it with them first.

Echo everyone above. Even if there are no repercussions (and there likely would be...docs aren't stupid. If you submit your app 3m after being hired, they'll do the math and realize you never intended to keep your commitment), it's just a tool move. Have some integrity, be up front about it, and if they won't hire you because of it, it was a serious enough issue in their eyes that you are better off having avoided it.

Reactions: 1 user
[deleted]

Last edited:
[deleted]

Last edited:
If you are in America, there is no such thing (for now, Gen Y's spinelessness will change this) as a "binding" employment contact. Especially for such a crappy low paid job. Contracts that Legally compel you to not abandon a job after X amount of time are generally reserved for something like a famous actor can't abandon a movie when it's halfway done.

Medical scribe contracting companies are generally awful people to work for. The pay is unfairly low. No benefits etc. they take advantage of naive students who view working for them as an "opportunity to learn" while they rake in obscene profits. Most of the pre meds in this forum have no real world work employment experience. You don't owe a potential employer anything.

To be clear, in a first world country, there is absolutely NO such thing as a "contact" that could require a medical scribe to work for X amount of time with the same company. Anything like that would be laughed out of court.

The conduct of this company sounds morally reprehensible and possibly illegal. Holding an LOR over someone's head as some kindof compensation in leu of pay is despicable.

Workplace rights should be taught in school.

Thanks markmark. Honestly, I am more concerned about the repercussions in terms of future references - I realize that it's not a crime to quit a job before the time commitment ends. But it is good to hear that perspective. I have very little "real world" work experience myself, and I accept the possibility that I, along with a lot of people my age, may be putting too much weight on winning the favor of all authority figures who could potentially advance my career goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my job interview and I think it went well. We'll see.

I'm starting to realize that this strikes me as very strange. I understand that the scribe agency may, as a matter of policy, decline to provide future references. But to build a good rapport with a physician, and serve them reliably for a year, and give advanced warning that you're going to leave, and then they refuse to give you a LOR? Why? That seems cruel and bizarre. Is it not their own decision to make? I don't imagine the scribe agency would be able to actually stop a doctor from writing a letter for a scribe they genuinely liked, even if that scribe left at 1 year rather than 2.

It is at the Drs discretion whether they write an LOR or not. If the scribe had built a good rapport with the Doc the doc would probably be happy to write one. Depending on the setting It is extremely unlikely that the doc has any contact with the contracting agency at all. The doc would laugh in the face of the agency if they "demanded" the doc not write a letter.

Saying "ohh boo hoo the employer won't be able to give a good reference if you leave "early"" is a common intimidation tactic used by contract employers in ALL industries.

When recruiters for contract agencies refer to a "2 year contract" with the employer they mean that the recruiting agency has agreed/promised to fill the specific POSITION for two years regardless of what happens with the individual contract employee. If an individual contract employee moves on with their lives it is incumbent on the agency to refill the position with another contractor in a reasonable period if time. If the agency was too incompetent or too greedy and offered too little pay to have a replacement agent on deck to replace the leaving one, that is their affair.

Contract agencies / temp recruiters try to intimidate current employees into staying because it creates work for them when employees leave (cry me a river, it's their job to find replacements.). These agencies deliberately try to cloud the issue and make their contract employees feel that The employee personally has signed a two year contract.

Nobody with a functioning brain would expect a college student to work some garbage scribe job for 9.00 per hour for any amount of time when better prospects come up for the student.

I will not be crying any tears for contract agencies any time soon. You should not be intimidated by them and as an aside, should demand a larger pay then whatever joke wage they approach you with.

Also note: less than ten years ago "medical scribe" was a highly professional job that paid a decent middle class wage and supported families, until these agencies figured out they could pay clueless kids in Walmart wages and promises of "experience".

I was just hired as a scribe and plan to work there until I start medical school. Training starts in February. We get paid $15/hr for training, which is 2 weeks in a classroom at their headquarters and then 2 weeks at your particular site. The pay for the actual position is even better than the training pay.

There are still scribes that make a decent living... like in any other field, there are good companies to work for and bad companies to work for.

Which agency are you working for, wiloghby?

I have to keep that a secret for a little while. PM me closer to the summertime and I will share with you. They are on the East Coast though, if that's any help.

[deleted]

Last edited:
[deleted]

Last edited:
Just had my job interview and I think it went well. We'll see.

I'm starting to realize that this strikes me as very strange. I understand that the scribe agency may, as a matter of policy, decline to provide future references. But to build a good rapport with a physician, and serve them reliably for a year, and give advanced warning that you're going to leave, and then they refuse to give you a LOR? Why? That seems cruel and bizarre. Is it not their own decision to make? I don't imagine the scribe agency would be able to actually stop a doctor from writing a letter for a scribe they genuinely liked, even if that scribe left at 1 year rather than 2.

So, like people said above, it's not a legally binding contract. However, they make it very clear (my company does, at least) that they want 1 year full time or 2 years part time. Training is 3-4 weeks, and it is paid as well, slightly less than what a trained scribe makes. I wasn't saying that the company would tell the physicians not to write a LOR, I'm saying that a physician, knowing our policy on "commitment", most likely would not offer a LOR to a former scribe who clearly had no intention of fulfilling the agreed upon time frame. Could they? Yes! Would they? I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Of course, there's always things that come up-one of our scribe's husbands ended up being deployed, and she had to quit just after a year to stay home with her son. Things happen, and that's why the commitment isn't legally binding. But leaving because you got sick of it, or you had something better come along, etc, etc?! That's simply going back on your word, and not a trait I would want in a physician.

I do have to say, however, that this is the least I've been paid since high school. I think the pay downright blows, but at least in my case, it's amazing experience. The way I look at it, I'd rather get paid a little than spend time working for free to gain clinical experience. I already volunteer with a ton of my children's activities/sports, so volunteering isn't an issue with me. I haven't found another job or experience that gives me the clinical hours scribing does without having to get a certificate or another degree in something (MA, nursing, EMT, etc).

The conduct of this company sounds morally reprehensible and possibly illegal. Holding an LOR over someone's head as some kindof compensation in leu of pay is despicable.

Workplace rights should be taught in school.

Illegal?! Really? They won't write you a letter of recommend because you took a job that "required" (even if it's not legally binding) a 1-2 year commitment knowing that you wouldn't fulfill it? A LOR means that they RECOMMEND you. If they wouldn't (because you went back on your word), how the heck is this illegal or morally reprehensible? Wouldn't it be more morally reprehensible to recommend someone you didn't feel was a good fit or good for the job/school? I mean, this is all situational, and there are grey areas (why they left), but if it's pretty cut and dry (someone wanted 6 months of clinical experience to put on their application, and then said 'sayonara!'), there's nothing wrong with not giving out a LOR.

So, like people said above, it's not a legally binding contract. However, they make it very clear (my company does, at least) that they want 1 year full time or 2 years part time. Training is 3-4 weeks, and it is paid as well, slightly less than what a trained scribe makes. I wasn't saying that the company would tell the physicians not to write a LOR, I'm saying that a physician, knowing our policy on "commitment", most likely would not offer a LOR to a former scribe who clearly had no intention of fulfilling the agreed upon time frame. Could they? Yes! Would they? I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Of course, there's always things that come up-one of our scribe's husbands ended up being deployed, and she had to quit just after a year to stay home with her son. Things happen, and that's why the commitment isn't legally binding. But leaving because you got sick of it, or you had something better come along, etc, etc?! That's simply going back on your word, and not a trait I would want in a physician.

I do have to say, however, that this is the least I've been paid since high school. I think the pay downright blows, but at least in my case, it's amazing experience. The way I look at it, I'd rather get paid a little than spend time working for free to gain clinical experience. I already volunteer with a ton of my children's activities/sports, so volunteering isn't an issue with me. I haven't found another job or experience that gives me the clinical hours scribing does without having to get a certificate or another degree in something (MA, nursing, EMT, etc).
No offense , but you fundamentally don't understand the nature of the "commitment" regarding employment "contracts". If the company can't retain talent it's because they don't offer employees enough incentive to stay. The attitude that them employee "owes" the employer something is simply not true. It is one of the the reasons the middle class is dying

I would be more concerned about a future physician who lacked the critical thinking skills to get out of a crappy low paid job if something better came along , rather than being wowed by his "commitment" to impressing some manager at a scribe agency.

Depending on the size of the practice it is highly unlikely that the MDs you work with have any knowledge of any "commitment" you made to a recruiting agency. All that would be handled by HR. Not would HR care if you left. The only one who would care is the recruiting company. And you should not care about them, because they certainly don't care about you at those wages. The MDs you work with would probably encourage you to follow your dreams and write you an LOR, rather than be offended that you left a job that pays you as though you work at Burger King.

[deleted]

Last edited:
No offense , but you fundamentally don't understand the nature of the "commitment" regarding employment "contracts". If the company can't retain talent it's because they don't offer employees enough incentive to stay. The attitude that them employee "owes" the employer something is simply not true. It is one of the the reasons the middle class is dying

I would be more concerned about a future physician who lacked the critical thinking skills to get out of a crappy low paid job if something better came along , rather than being wowed by his "commitment" to impressing some manager at a scribe agency.

Depending on the size of the practice it is highly unlikely that the MDs you work with have any knowledge of any "commitment" you made to a recruiting agency. All that would be handled by HR. Not would HR care if you left. The only one who would care is the recruiting company. And you should not care about them, because they certainly don't care about you at those wages. The MDs you work with would probably encourage you to follow your dreams and write you an LOR, rather than be offended that you left a job that pays you as though you work at Burger King.

We make significantly more than working at Burger King, but yes, I get your point.

Prefacing a sentence with "No offense" usually means you're about to say something offensive. In "my defense", I am fairly well versed in understanding employment contracts. This is not my first rodeo. Unlike the typical premed, I have worked regular jobs, have been self-employed, and have managed others. All I was saying is that you know (or you SHOULD know....if not, then that's at the fault of the agency) what you're getting into when accepting a scribe position. Accepting the job knowing that you will not be able to fulfill what has been asked is dishonest. That's it.

I'm confused by the notion that a physician would get hung up on a company's policy like that. Scribe jobs have extremely high turnover rates, and fill up fast. For the program I applied for, training is unpaid and largely online. I just can't see how any decent physician could be vindictive about a scribe's failure to live up to a commitment made to the agency. It seems totally separate from the value that a scribe would bring to their practice, which I would have imagined is more important to a physician. Why did your co-worker quit? Are you really positive that the doctors refused to write him a LOR entirely because he broke the time commitment he made with your scribe agency, and not because of whatever else may have been going on or driven him to quit in the first place? I am not doubting you, because obviously you know better than I do. It just sounds odd.

In any case, I am not planning to break my commitment. I don't have any conflicts that would prevent me from following through. But if the negative reviews I have found online reflect the average experience with Elite Medical Scribes, I doubt that I would stay at a horrible, pointless job just to satisfy that commitment.

The physician's aren't hung up on a company policy, but they are aware of what's asked. The particular individual I had referenced was actually a pretty decent scribe, but he kind of "went out with a bang" (ie: told everyone he found a sweet deal paying much more, and basically "screw this"). It wasn't in front of any of the physicians or anything, but word gets around. The bottom line is that the physicians could care less what the agency policy is, but they DO care about having the shifts filled. When people leave much earlier than anticipated, shifts are uncovered, and physicians get cranky. I'd imagine this puts a pretty bad taste in their mouth towards those that are hired and then leave early.

Also, I have to say that I've only worked for one company. I have actually found them to be great to work for. This may not be the case for other places. It might be hell. But where I am, we all work together, we all typically get along, and we have fabulous nurses and physicians that we work with that also value our work and input. It's been a fantastic experience.

The physician's aren't hung up on a company policy, but they are aware of what's asked. The particular individual I had referenced was actually a pretty decent scribe, but he kind of "went out with a bang" (ie: told everyone he found a sweet deal paying much more, and basically "screw this"). It wasn't in front of any of the physicians or anything, but word gets around. The bottom line is that the physicians could care less what the agency policy is, but they DO care about having the shifts filled. When people leave much earlier than anticipated, shifts are uncovered, and physicians get cranky. I'd imagine this puts a pretty bad taste in their mouth towards those that are hired and then leave early.

That is sort of what I figured. In that case, it seems like plenty of advanced notice, good communication, and humility would be more important than fulfilling a strict time commitment.

Illegal?! Really? They won't write you a letter of recommend because you took a job that "required" (even if it's not legally binding) a 1-2 year commitment knowing that you wouldn't fulfill it? A LOR means that they RECOMMEND you. If they wouldn't (because you went back on your word), how the heck is this illegal or morally reprehensible? Wouldn't it be more morally reprehensible to recommend someone you didn't feel was a good fit or good for the job/school? I mean, this is all situational, and there are grey areas (why they left), but if it's pretty cut and dry (someone wanted 6 months of clinical experience to put on their application, and then said 'sayonara!'), there's nothing wrong with not giving out a LOR.
My point is the recruitment agency is lying when they say individual physicians have any knowledge of a "commitment" you made to the agency. They are lying when they say a physician won't give you an LOR because you didn't stay for X amount of time.

Like I said, the contracted time is between the AGENCY and the MEDICAL PRACTICE. Usually handled by finance/HR. It is the agencies job to make sure the position remains full. Nobody at the medical practice, much less a physician would care if a scribe decided to leave. It is part of the AGENCY's contractual agreement that they have another scribe on deck to step in as soon as you walk out the door. That is the whole reason for the agency's existence. The recruitment agency deliberately tries to confound their own commitments with those of individual scribes because it is to their advantage.

I refuse to believe a physician would refuse to write an LOR based solely on the fact that a scribe left after 6 months. I believe this is fiction/truth stretching from the agency in order to intimidate their employees.

It can certainly be illegal to bias potential employers against a former employee by bad mouthing them because they didn't fulfill a fictional "contract".

Last edited:
The physician is almost certainly under no obligation to withhold a LOR. However, your manager will be a scribe who they know better, and if what they hear from them is 'markmark said he'd be here for 2yrs and now he's already applying to med school', their sympathies will likely lie with the person they have the longstanding relationship with.
More importantly, I reiterate: don't be a tool. Leaving a company hanging after they train you and you indicate a certain length of stay is absolutely toolish behavior.

And yeah, scribe pay is low. We got $8/hr to start and an eventual raise to $10/hr. It's something you're aware of when you start. If you don't think the experience is worth it, don't do it. (hint: it is worth it)
As for the rest of the crap? Not worth whining about. It's actually far worse when they REQUIRE a break. We have 12hr shifts at my ED, and just because you take a break doesn't mean the doc does...and it in no way decreases your workload. So taking your required breaks makes the entire shift more stressful (and it's annoying to have to clock in and out.) But if you miss them? Written up. What an inefficient waste of everyone's time.

The companies usually suck in every way possible, but that's largely irrelevant. Your day to day experience is dictated by the ER and the physicians. That is what makes it worth it (or not, but I've never heard anyone say it wasn't worth it).
If you want to scribe, apply to every company you can and be happy about what you can get.
If you want to not be a dick, don't lie about your availability and commitment.
If you want to continue bitching, well, I suppose that's what the internet is FOR, so have at. :shrug:

Also, NOT writing an LOR is not illegal. Sorry. It is not illegal to refrain from commenting.

I don't think you understood anything I said.

Also, NOT writing an LOR is not illegal. Sorry. It is not illegal to refrain from commenting.

Nobody ever said it was and I have no clue where you're getting this.

And it sounds like you're describing a situation where the scribe is hired directly by the clinic, which is not what this thread is about.

Last edited:
If you develop a good friendly rapport with a physician as their scribe there is a very good chance they will give you a great LOR regardless of any broken fictional "commitments" with a contracting agency. Full stop.

I don't think you understood anything I said.

Nobody ever said it was and I have no clue where you're getting this.

And it sounds like you're describing a situation where the scribe is hired directly by the clinic, which is not what this thread is about.
I am not at all describing a situation where the scribe is hired by the clinic. I work for a company which contracts with the hospital to cover a certain number of man hours. Thing is, other than the uniform and a few meetings, the company is irrelevant. It sets salary and work hour regs, but it's not like you interact with the company EVER. You work with the docs.

My illegality comment was directed at "It can certainly be illegal to bias potential employers against a former employee by bad mouthing them because they didn't fulfill a fictional "contract"." and "The conduct of this company sounds morally reprehensible and possibly illegal. Holding an LOR over someone's head as some kindof compensation in leu of pay is despicable."
Which is a bit histrionic given the context of the convo where the only place the potential employer was discussed was the refusal of LORs.

I understand all of what you've been saying, but most of it is pointless whining and moral outrage at...what? Scribe not being some respected, well-reimbursed, and vaunted position? It's a way to get paid for shadowing. You get experience and some LORs, and in return they get cheap labor. Win/win/win, unless for some reason you decide that 'being a tool without any backlash' is somehow a right.
And yes, THAT sentence is referencing my repeated insistence that skipping out after a year would be a dick move.

If you develop a good friendly rapport with a physician as their scribe there is a very good chance they will give you a great LOR regardless of any broken fictional "commitments" with a contracting agency. Full stop.
But you'd still be a tool. And likely your physician would have a better rapport with the manager they've known longer and who you are screwing over than they would have with you.

Ok OP so if you leave after a year and give the doc fair warning you will probably get a good LOR from a doc and be free to move along with your life.

You might cause some recruiter who was paying you minimum wage to be whiny and butthurt, because he was incompetent and did t have another scribe lined up in time, and people on the Internet might consider you a "dick" because they don't understand how recruiting agencies function. So proceed with caution.

Ok OP so if you leave after a year and give the doc fair warning you will probably get a good LOR from a doc and be free to move along with your life.

You might cause some recruiter who was paying you minimum wage to be whiny and butthurt, because he was incompetent and did t have another scribe lined up in time, and people on the Internet might consider you a "dick" because they don't understand how recruiting agencies function. So proceed with caution.
Making commitments knowing you plan to break them is a dick move regardless of context.

Furthermore, nobody mentioned 'recruiting agencies'. Likely one of the fellow scribes is a manager who is responsible for shift scheduling and/or training and hiring. Quitting can put them in a pickle...and they will know the docs in the same context as you, only first and for a longer time. Bitching about coworkers is a time-honored tradition, especially in healthcare, so if you screw your manager over, the docs WILL hear about it. Whether it affects their judgement of you is up to them, I suppose, but it's hardly a stretch to say it will come up.

Just for clarification purposes, so there's no more of this 'recruiting agency' stuff and in case my 'you don't interact with the company directly' bit was misleading
You work for the scribe agency. They set salaries and work weeks.
You are managed by someone on-site, usually a more experienced scribe. They hire people and set schedules.
You work with the doctors on a day-to-day basis. They give valuable recommendations but are not associated with the scribe agency

Making commitments knowing you plan to break them is a dick move regardless of context.

Just to be clear. I am NOT planning to break a commitment. My point is that 2 years is a fairly long time to commit with 100% certainty to a company and a position I know very little about. If you are right and the experience is worth it, then I will absolutely stay the entire time. If you are making the proposition that it is a dick move to make and plan to follow through on a commitment, and then later break it due to horrid work conditions, then I disagree completely and would suggest your values are a little skewed.

Furthermore, nobody mentioned 'recruiting agencies'. Likely one of the fellow scribes is a manager who is responsible for shift scheduling and/or training and hiring. Quitting can put them in a pickle...and they will know the docs in the same context as you, only first and for a longer time. Bitching about coworkers is a time-honored tradition, especially in healthcare, so if you screw your manager over, the docs WILL hear about it. Whether it affects their judgement of you is up to them, I suppose, but it's hardly a stretch to say it will come up.

Again to clarify - I realize it would be inconsiderate to abruptly quit and leave your manager hanging and shifts empty. I think there's a big difference between doing this and giving advanced notice and committing to work until your absence wouldn't be a disruption (ie, a replacement has been found), especially when, like I said, the training is unpaid and about 50% online. Am I wrong about that?

Just to be clear. I am NOT planning to break a commitment. My point is that 2 years is a fairly long time to commit with 100% certainty to a company and a position I know very little about. If you are right and the experience is worth it, then I will absolutely stay the entire time. If you are making the proposition that it is a dick move to make and plan to follow through on a commitment, and then later break it due to horrid work conditions, then I disagree completely and would suggest your values are a little skewed.

Again to clarify - I realize it would be inconsiderate to abruptly quit and leave your manager hanging and shifts empty. I think there's a big difference between doing this and giving advanced notice and committing to work until your absence wouldn't be a disruption (ie, a replacement has been found), especially when, like I said, the training is unpaid and about 50% online. Am I wrong about that?
Ah, I thought you were planning to leave early. Totally changes things.

And that sucks if your training is unpaid (though the online would be nice). Ours was definitely paid (poorly, but paid nonetheless)!