How should a residency personal statement differ from ps for internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repeets

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how those of you who have applied successfully for residencies changed your approach to the VIRMP personal statement from the one you wrote when applying for internship. It would seem obvious to write a similar statement, but add how the perspective of a few months' worth of internship has sharpened your focus, but should it differ in other ways?

Members don't see this ad.

I emphasized my research and teaching experience a lot more in my residency PS (as I applied to pretty much only academic institutions), expanded more on why I wanted to become a surgeon, and talked about my internship experience and how it has made me a better clinician and candidate for a surgical residency.

Mine was fairly similar as well. My internship one had paragraphs for my background, why I wanted to do an internship, qualities I had that will be important for an intern, and career goals. For residency it was basically the same (subbing internship for residency) but I also added a paragraph about what my internship specifically taught me and fleshed out my career goals a bit more.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My internship focused on what I hoped to get out of the year and why I was a good candidate for internship. My residency focused on why I was dedicated to the field and other reasons for being a good candidate (different reasons than internship) and what I was looking for in an ideal residency.

I think another good thing to add to any personal statement, especially one that relates to specialty work, is to have at least an outline of a career plan.

Make them realize that you aren't just doing this "because" - on the contrary, you have a clear idea of what you want to be doing three, five, eight years from now and how this residency will help you achieve those goals.

Anyone on here willing to read letters of intent and give feedback?